Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 10,921 times

Advertisements

Hi I will be moving from CA to VA labor day weekend. We are looking at Stafford or Spotsylvania to rent (max $1800). Having lived too close to our neighbors for 8 years in apartments/condos, we would like a house with at least a little land 1/2-1 acre. We won't probably look at buying for another 6-12 months. I won't get to house hunt in person to buy until I get out there but he is already out there in Fairfax so can check out rentals for us.

We will both be telecommuting from home so the commute isn't the problem but we will need 2 offices, so a 3-4BR. I might need to go to my company's offices in Herndon or Richmond twice month and him to Alexandria 1-2 a month. No kids yet, so schools aren't an urgent issue.

With all that said, I've found quite a few rentals in my price range with 4 bedrooms in Stafford & Spotsylvania. What are the main differences between the 2 areas in terms of environment, community, crime & in area traffic? Does anyone know anything about the Summerwood, Accokeek or Stonebridge at Widewater subdivisions in Stafford? I saw positive comments on Aquia Harbour in another post and mixed comments on Locust Grove/LOW.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 AM

6 posts, read 36,764 times
For those seeking to move to either Maryland or Virginia, please check out available web information on the [Maryland] Baltimore Gas & Electric price hike over the past year.

Be aware of which utility company will provide the service if relocating to Maryland and ask about current monthly costs.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM

15 posts, read 74,725 times
There is a 37 room mansion overlooking the mountains and the town here for that kind of coin.

Charlie

Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 10,820 times
Question Specific questions about SW VA

Hi...I'm new to forum life, so bear with me (in fact, I couldn't figure out how to find "READ if you are asking about" to reply to it directly. Anyway, I've been looking through the VA threads for a while and have learned a lot about SW VA--thanks to all, especially Sean for his detailed and thoughtful posts.

My situation is a possible move to SW VA...I'm a former professional-turned stay-home-Mom. We're looking at Blacksburg/Roanoke/C'burg area. One of my biggest concerns is schools--who has the best public schools? I have two kids in elem but one is approaching middle school; I know there are many many websites out there with school information but I'm running short on time and so would love to hear from anyone who has insight to share. It stands to reason that B'burg might have really good schools because of its highly educated population base but this doesn't always prove true.

My next question has to do with cultural/ethnic diversity. We currently live in a very conservative, predominately caucasian, predominately Catholic area. I definitely want my kids to grow up in an environment that offers more diversity than this. For this reason, I'm concerned about Roanoke and would again think B'Burg might be a better fit.

I also would like to hear which SW VA communities might be best for the following: good restaurants (that are NOT Americana chains, i.e. Applebee's, etc.), organic groceries, yoga studios, etc. And I know it's been said that B'Burg is short on the arts, but we currently drive 30 minutes into our city to get to good theatre, a great Zoo, etc, so I"m not worried about driving a bit. But are there other communities besides Roanoke w/strong arts support (I think I saw Floyd mentioned somewhere but I'm not sure).

Thanks for your thoughts,
St. Louis Lizzie

Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,816 times
Default Where to Retire to in VA?

My husband & I will soon be retiring. We would like to move to VA. from ME. Already have a sister who lives in Bedford. Brother soon to move to Wytheville. We would both like to work part-time. He is a retired plumber but can do just about anything. I have worked as personnel assistant to the elderly, assistant librarian, hotel worker, & deli worker to name a few. We will be selling our home here in ME. and hoping to rent or buy in VA. Would like a smaller community but close to restaurants and shopping area. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Sandy59

Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 20,966 times
Angry Social work jobs

I will be graduating with my masters in Social work in May 08. I am looking to move in June of 08. I have looked on the internet but I wanted to know if there were any jobs that might not have been listed or of specific websites that I can go and apply now. The hopes is to come down once in October and talked to some place see the neighborhoods then make another trip in the spring for interviews and such, is this a good plan? Are jobs hard to find in this area. Does the hiring process for govt jobs take along time. I am also looking for good Day cares and after school programs for five year olds. I am excited about the move but due to some of the threads I have been reading I am a little nervous. I don't mind travel and driving I am a social worker thats what we do. I am wiling to work in Virigina I guess around woodbridge, fair fax, Alexandria, Maryland, and the D.C. area. I am young I am okay with some of the challenges. Can single Parents make a decent living out there?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 AM

7 posts, read 21,059 times
Cool Hello everybody...

Just some incite, hopefully some of you can help! I am to be married in a month and a half...I am originally from Brooklyn, NY and my Fiancée is from St. Louis, we now reside in Tampa, FL. I’m just going to be blunt. I hate Tampa! I bounced from NYC to Tampa a few times, because I always missed Tampa, but after some life experience, it’s not Tampa that I missed, it’s the laid back atmosphere, it’s the beauty of this state. But Florida is not for me.

Where you are working – Work for a website design firm doing technical support, I am dying to get away from the desk! Would like to own my own bakery/breakfast brunch restaurant or maybe be a park ranger or something! Get me out of the office please!!! My fiancée works as a route representative (chip slinger ) for Frito Lay so we would have to be somewhere close to a distribution center, wherever the heck that is!

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - $100-200K

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - I drive 25 miles one way to work and that on a good day takes 45 minutes to an hour…Would prefer to walk, I'm over traffic and cars!

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Don't have kids yet, but would like to start soon, definitely do not want to have them grow up here. I would prefer private school if we can afford it, but if the public school is good then I will have no problem with it.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: Small town feeling? Small city excitement? Suburbia delight? Good question, for one Tampa is too sprawled out, nobody goes to downtown unless it’s for a game or a concert (which I really can’t stand). Looking for a community with a small town look and feel but will have easy access to cultural centers, the outdoors, good shopping, good restaurants…etc. But I would also like to have some land, maybe get some chickens!

-Community amenities important to you – Small town feel without the small town attitudes.

-Pie or cake? I’ll take a brownie

So does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of Roanoke but the job situation doesn’t sound very good over there. I don’t want to go broke because we cannot find work!

Thank you!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:12 PM

13 posts, read 35,362 times
Thanks! That is what I will do it takes time so I will take a day and read all of the threads.

Again thank you

Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,716 times
Default Relocating to Fairfax

Sorry if these are questions you been asked before, but we are being transfered from Houston to Fairfax. I hear commute is a nightmare, even on Houston terms. My husband does not want a huge commute 30-40 minutes if possible. Our housing limit is $700,000 and we have two children. One in elementary and one in middle school; therefore, schools are also important to us. I am a stay-at-home so I'm not as picky about the commute. Please give me some advice so I can start researching areas. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,654 times
Hi I work in Dallas but in about six months i will be moving to Norfolk Virginia. Simply because my family is there and i need to start my life over anyway. I work at a hotel that is in downtown dallas. The West End Hotel. I would like to work at a hotel down there if it's the first or last thing i do. I'm willing to pay at least 400-$500 for rent. I have no kids but i do have a cat. I love good convenient environments. I like would like to live by the party area or preferrably a street by Jernigan! And i'd prefer A piece of cake!Oh and i would really be focused on getting a new job down there so if as much as possible. Thank you!

Last edited by sexydee; 10-09-2007 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia