Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,570,081 times

Advertisements

I've considered opening a lounge next door to Modern called "Antiquainted", where everyone wears tweed and sits on over-embellished Victorian furniture sipping absynthe and listening to Burl Ives.

The thing is, you KNOW that place would draw a crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I am sure my homeboy Bajan Yankee will be here soon though. Followed by Gilgamesh.
Haha. I'm not sure what some of those points in the article have to do with dating, but whatever.

The one point I do agree with is that women in DC feel their education and credentials give their attractivness a "boost." Even though few women come right out and say it, you can discern from their tone that they really think "I went to Harvard and I deserve a man who went to Harvard!" Well, the world doesn't work that way, so they need to get over it.

He's wrong about white chicks. I can't move five feet without seeing a white, Asian or South Asian cutie of slender proportions. At Whole Foods, the Post Office, Trader Joe's, Metro, Mr. Yogato, Home Depot, the E Street Cinema, the Mall, Pentagon City, you name it, there are cuties there. There's only a problem if you're into dating black chicks because there are honestly few slim ones and even fewer cute ones.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,717,174 times
I think the title of that guys blog should have been "DC sucks for some guys" or something like that. Face it, the DC being discussed in this article isn't everybody's cup of tea. If you are an accountant with a prestigious education and you constantly wear business casual, then DC is for you in terms of the dating scene. If you are a self employed entrepreneur or an artist who prefers to wear jeans, baseball caps and sneakers, then you will not do well socially in gentrified/yuppified DC. If you do dress casual like this on the weekends, you better have a dressed up government job during the week days to be taken seriously. Hipsters do have a little niche in DC, especially on U street, but their crowd is very cliquey, segregated and overwhelmingly White. If you are urban like a New Yorker you probably will hate DC. Most New Yorkers I've met in DC have very much acclimated to the professional vibe of the District. But this comes with the territory. DC has to be professional, corporate and career-oriented because it is the nation's capital. If Obama made a live speech from the Oval Office wearing a tilted flat billed Nationals fitted with the sticker still on it with some camo cargo shorts and some shiny Nike Foamposites propped up on the desk, who the hell would take the United States seriously?! It is the same for the citizens of professional White collar DC. Kids in the hood in DC may dress vibrant, funky and fresh but grown ups with jobs are much more conservative because their careers demand it. DC is not like Brooklyn where you have 35-50 year old men and women wearing Jordans, Pelle Pelle leathers and flat-brimmed NY Yankee fitted caps. DC is also not like Silicon Valley with lazy pot heads jumping on trampolines and playing old school arcade games at successful web firms. The professional vibe of DC definitely also dictates the dating scene and who does well and who doesn't.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-12-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. I'm not sure what some of those points in the article have to do with dating, but whatever.

The one point I do agree with is that women in DC feel their education and credentials give their attractivness a "boost." Even though few women come right out and say it, you can discern from their tone that they really think "I went to Harvard and I deserve a man who went to Harvard!" Well, the world doesn't work that way, so they need to get over it.

He's wrong about white chicks. I can't move five feet without seeing a white, Asian or South Asian cutie of slender proportions. At Whole Foods, the Post Office, Trader Joe's, Metro, Mr. Yogato, Home Depot, the E Street Cinema, the Mall, Pentagon City, you name it, there are cuties there. There's only a problem if you're into dating black chicks because there are honestly few slim ones and even fewer cute ones.

Awww snap, here we go.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,479,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's only a problem if you're into dating black chicks because there are honestly few slim ones and even fewer cute ones.
Wait, What? You could throw a stone in any direction in DC and it would hit a cute black girl.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM

51 posts, read 124,158 times
it's funny that blog complains about how white-washed and boring DC is and then turns around and whines about an over-abundance of non-white chicks.

I will say that he is somewhat correct in that the girls in DC don't spend as much time in the mirror before going out as in a lot of other major cities. And I would say DC isn't the best in the world for girls - but it's a large enough city that you'll find plenty of attractive girls if you keep looking. They just generally aren't as vapid so you have to be able to have a little more of a conversation than hot girls in other cities.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Wait, What? You could throw a stone in any direction in DC and it would hit a cute black girl.
You got to know Bajan definition of cute. We been debating this for a few months now.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM

465 posts, read 928,937 times
DC being one of the slimmest areas in America isn't saying much considering how fat this country is. I see so many out of shape white girls in DC it's disgusting. These incessantly political girls think their master's degrees automatically subtract 30 lbs. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Spend some time in Europe, particularly Eastern Europe. Lots of pretty and slim women. You only need one physical filter abroad: face. In American you have to pass face AND body. How sad is it that the hordes of chubby white girls who roam dc are considered "average". I blame these ugly political transplants from the midwest.

I SEE FAR MORE SKINNY BLACK GIRLS THAN WHITE GIRLS. (as you get older though, the black women surpass white women in mass by far)

Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM

45 posts, read 76,978 times
A hot local economy or hot women: in present day America, you have to choose.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,703,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I think the title of that guys blog should have been "DC sucks for some guys" or something like that. Face it, the DC being discussed in this article isn't everybody's cup of tea. If you are an accountant with a prestigious education and you constantly wear business casual, then DC is for you in terms of the dating scene. If you are a self employed entrepreneur or an artist who prefers to wear jeans, baseball caps and sneakers, then you will not do well socially in gentrified/yuppified DC. If you do dress casual like this on the weekends, you better have a dressed up government job during the week days to be taken seriously. Hipsters do have a little niche in DC, especially on U street, but their crowd is very cliquey, segregated and overwhelmingly White. If you are urban like a New Yorker you probably will hate DC. Most New Yorkers I've met in DC have very much acclimated to the professional vibe of the District. But this comes with the territory. DC has to be professional, corporate and career-oriented because it is the nation's capital. If Obama made a live speech from the Oval Office wearing a tilted flat billed Nationals fitted with the sticker still on it with some camo cargo shorts and some shiny Nike Foamposites propped up on the desk, who the hell would take the United States seriously?! It is the same for the citizens of professional White collar DC. Kids in the hood in DC may dress vibrant, funky and fresh but grown ups with jobs are much more conservative because their careers demand it. DC is not like Brooklyn where you have 35-50 year old men and women wearing Jordans, Pelle Pelle leathers and flat-brimmed NY Yankee fitted caps. DC is also not like Silicon Valley with lazy pot heads jumping on trampolines and playing old school arcade games at successful web firms. The professional vibe of DC definitely also dictates the dating scene and who does well and who doesn't.
And I, personally, like that. I also disagree with your assessment that you can't dress casually on the weekends. My mom is dating a guy who's quite financially successful working for a major TV network. He dresses pretty darn casually (not sweatpants and flip-flops, just cargos/jeans and a tee). My father also dresses somewhat casually. In fact, a lot of people dress pretty casually. You don't see a lot of 35-50 year olds dressed in 59Fifties and wearing Jordans because they're grown-ups. Not knocking older folks who do dress like that but, y'know, it's something that most people just grow out of if you ask me.

Overall if you cannot find a woman worth dating in DC, it's probably not how you dress or what your job is (unless you dress like a 10 year old or your job involves cleaning toilets)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: