Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,518,618 times

Advertisements

That dude has a serious case of Peter-Pan Syndrome. He's hating on DC because the women here were too smart to fall for his "Game".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,942,679 times
Quote:
her first question was "whats your story, what do you do for a living?" Dammit! Even in clubs you can't escape that.
Most people ask that when they meet someone for the first time. Simply because it is a big part of who we are, since we spend so much time doing it. We ask this question of our neighbors at a backyard barbecue, and when we meet someone at a club, regardless of gender. That doesn't mean that the person expects to hear that you are the director of some federal agency or that they care how much money you make. It's just a means of establishing a topic of conversation. I mean my hairdresser asked me this question today. Don't be so touchy for heaven's sake.

And clearly the person who wrote that website is a douchebag.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,160,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Most people ask that when they meet someone for the first time. Simply because it is a big part of who we are, since we spend so much time doing it. We ask this question of our neighbors at a backyard barbecue, and when we meet someone at a club, regardless of gender. That doesn't mean that the person expects to hear that you are the director of some federal agency or that they care how much money you make. It's just a means of establishing a topic of conversation. I mean my hairdresser asked me this question today. Don't be so touchy for heaven's sake.

And clearly the person who wrote that website is a douchebag.
You're right, it's just that I work a lot during the week (60+ hrs, maybe more) and the weekend is a chance for me to unwind and hang out with my friends. The last thing I want to do is give my bio to someone, especially when I'm trying to have some fun. I really didn't cop a 'tude when she asked me that though, I just answered but...meh, whatever...no biggie.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,264,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
You're right, it's just that I work a lot during the week (60+ hrs, maybe more) and the weekend is a chance for me to unwind and hang out with my friends. The last thing I want to do is give my bio to someone, especially when I'm trying to have some fun. I really didn't cop a 'tude when she asked me that though, I just answered but...meh, whatever...no biggie.
But isn't giving your bio part of getting to know someone? I try not to dive into jobs right off the bat. Not everyone does the what-do-you-do on the first meet. Sometimes they'll go for the where are you from question. Which seems to be really common in DC. However, if someone was evasive about what they do for a living I'd find that suspect.

Last edited by terrence81; 07-14-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,720,585 times
it's not like you're reciting your future memoir dude, just be like "I'm an intelligence analyst at the Pentagon" or something like that

Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM

162 posts, read 461,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's only a problem if you're into dating black chicks because there are honestly few slim ones and even fewer cute ones.
Wow.

Interesting.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,898,442 times
How do you not ask someone what they do when you first meet them? And how the hell is that exclusive to DC? It's a hallmark of first conversations everywhere. The difference is that in DC people are eager to talk about their jobs as analysts at the Pentagon or administrators at the IMF versus people in many parts of this country who work part time at a board game store who don't have a lot to say about their jobs.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,207,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I think the title of that guys blog should have been "DC sucks for some guys" or something like that. Face it, the DC being discussed in this article isn't everybody's cup of tea. If you are an accountant with a prestigious education and you constantly wear business casual, then DC is for you in terms of the dating scene. If you are a self employed entrepreneur or an artist who prefers to wear jeans, baseball caps and sneakers, then you will not do well socially in gentrified/yuppified DC. If you do dress casual like this on the weekends, you better have a dressed up government job during the week days to be taken seriously. Hipsters do have a little niche in DC, especially on U street, but their crowd is very cliquey, segregated and overwhelmingly White. If you are urban like a New Yorker you probably will hate DC. Most New Yorkers I've met in DC have very much acclimated to the professional vibe of the District. But this comes with the territory. DC has to be professional, corporate and career-oriented because it is the nation's capital. If Obama made a live speech from the Oval Office wearing a tilted flat billed Nationals fitted with the sticker still on it with some camo cargo shorts and some shiny Nike Foamposites propped up on the desk, who the hell would take the United States seriously?! It is the same for the citizens of professional White collar DC. Kids in the hood in DC may dress vibrant, funky and fresh but grown ups with jobs are much more conservative because their careers demand it. DC is not like Brooklyn where you have 35-50 year old men and women wearing Jordans, Pelle Pelle leathers and flat-brimmed NY Yankee fitted caps. DC is also not like Silicon Valley with lazy pot heads jumping on trampolines and playing old school arcade games at successful web firms. The professional vibe of DC definitely also dictates the dating scene and who does well and who doesn't.
Good post. I think that sums it up nicely. DC doesnt really have an imaginination (or I guess I should say the city doesnt inspire imagination) compared to other cities, and thats okay, but it fustrates the hell out of some free thinkers, and free thinking/high spirits are really integral to the young dating scene.

In all of the scenarios you illustrated (NYC, Silicon Valley etc.) it was about being dynamic, and having an interesting personality. Thats the problem with DC....the people are boring.....and that is a precursor to alot the points (fair or not) highlighted in the article. (Like the line for cupcakes....who gives a DAMN about a cupcake.....bored people do thats who).

Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 PM

339 posts, read 838,277 times
I didn't read the article. Honestly I'm getting bored of this topic. Anyways, I can think of 100 reasons why DC is terrible for men. LOL

Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,918,748 times
LOL he called DC conservative. This area is so removed from reality that it makes me want to bash my head against a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: