Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,249,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Whoa! Cookout is AWESOME! I've honestly wanted to bring it up here, there burgers are above average but the best part about their menu is the milk shakes; they're purely amazing. Anytime I go there I would get a Cheeseburger Combo with Nuggets, a cheesecake milkshake, and fries. I would definitely consider opening a few in our area if the capital was available, but I'm not sure if they franchise. I would also like to open a Zaxbys as well, it's not a burger joint but more like a great chicken place. Anyways, if you ever visit NC, try Cookout, it's great. But I've only tried like two burger places here, Bobby's Burger Palace, and some other place that was terrible. Cookout taste more like cookout food, BBP taste corporate so that's why I believe Cookout taste pretty well in comparison to BBP.

I'm trying Rays tomorrow, so I'll give my opinion on it tomorrow. Can anyone suggest what burgers are good? I looked at the menu, and I kind of wanted the Big Devil Original Burger but at the same time I want to eat something I've never tried before, but taste delicious as well; any suggestions?

I'm thinking of any other popular NC franchies that I liked. Highway 55 which is formerly known as Andy's is good as well, it sort of reminds me of Johnny Rockets in Georgetown except its far better to me at least. Bojangles didn't really fit my taste, but nonethless people down there go Bojangles a lot especially for breakfast. Back in the city I lived in, Greenville, we also had a fairly great Japanese restaurant called "Fuji Japan", I've yet to find a place like that here but if someone who has visited Fuji before could tell me of a place like that here, I'd glady try it.
Sakura is a Japanese steak/seafood house & sushi bar local chain restaurant that has its origins in Fredericksburg, VA and has expanded a few branches into California and New Jersey. There are very delicious, and they do New York grilled Angus Steak incredibly and almost phenomenally good IMO. They also cook your food right in front of you (I think they call that Teppanyaki I believe). Here in the DC Area, they have restaurants in Bowie, Fairfax (Fair Lakes), Vienna, Waldorf, Germantown, Olney, Laurel, Prince Frederick, Charlottesville, and Annapolis. There are also some in the Baltimore metro area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,368,397 times
Quote:

I'm trying Rays tomorrow, so I'll give my opinion on it tomorrow. Can anyone suggest what burgers are good? I looked at the menu, and I kind of wanted the Big Devil Original Burger but at the same time I want to eat something I've never tried before, but taste delicious as well; any suggestions?
My personal favorites are the Big Punisher and Jack Zing, since they are spicy - and the piranha sauce that comes with the Big Punisher is awesome! If you dont like it spicy then the original is a good way to introduce yourself.

Their turkey burgers are really good too

Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Sakura is a Japanese steak/seafood house & sushi bar local chain restaurant that has its origins in Fredericksburg, VA and has expanded a few branches into California and New Jersey. There are very delicious, and they do New York grilled Angus Steak incredibly and almost phenomenally good IMO. They also cook your food right in front of you (I think they call that Teppanyaki I believe). Here in the DC Area, they have restaurants in Bowie, Fairfax (Fair Lakes), Vienna, Waldorf, Germantown, Olney, Laurel, Prince Frederick, Charlottesville, and Annapolis. There are also some in the Baltimore metro area as well.

Yep Teppanyaki it is...often confused with 'hibachi' here in the US, and yes Sakura is pretty good in terms of what you can expect to get in Japanese food, in this region

Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,028,547 times
Quote:
Whoa! Cookout is AWESOME! I've honestly wanted to bring it up here, there burgers are above average but the best part about their menu is the milk shakes; they're purely amazing. Anytime I go there I would get a Cheeseburger Combo with Nuggets, a cheesecake milkshake, and fries. I would definitely consider opening a few in our area if the capital was available, but I'm not sure if they franchise. I would also like to open a Zaxbys as well, it's not a burger joint but more like a great chicken place. Anyways, if you ever visit NC, try Cookout, it's great. But I've only tried like two burger places here, Bobby's Burger Palace, and some other place that was terrible. Cookout taste more like cookout food, BBP taste corporate so that's why I believe Cookout taste pretty well in comparison to BBP.
I used to go to college in NC, that's why I brought them up. We used to make late night runs to Cookout all the time. There aren't many places you can get as much food as the Cookout tray for $4.99. It really is amazing. Last I heard, they are expanding in VA. So far they have a location in Richmond and a couple in the Hampton Roads area. I definitely like Cookout over BBP myself.

And I definitely concur about the milkshake. The Hi-C one was my favorite.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,461,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I used to go to college in NC, that's why I brought them up. We used to make late night runs to Cookout all the time. There aren't many places you can get as much food as the Cookout tray for $4.99. It really is amazing. Last I heard, they are expanding in VA. So far they have a location in Richmond and a couple in the Hampton Roads area. I definitely like Cookout over BBP myself.

And I definitely concur about the milkshake. The Hi-C one was my favorite.
Oh cool, what college did you attend back in NC? I went to ECU (East Carolina University), and NC State, before switching to George Washington up here. But I really hope they continue to develope northward, I think the DC area would support it fairly well, I always liked going there for a late night trip and just sit on top of my truck with my friends. Those were the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
My personal favorites are the Big Punisher and Jack Zing, since they are spicy - and the piranha sauce that comes with the Big Punisher is awesome! If you dont like it spicy then the original is a good way to introduce yourself.

Their turkey burgers are really good too
I was thinking of getting the Big Punisher, I'm on my way there now so I'll tell you what I decided on.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,028,547 times
Quote:
Oh cool, what college did you attend back in NC? I went to ECU (East Carolina University), and NC State, before switching to George Washington up here. But I really hope they continue to develope northward, I think the DC area would support it fairly well, I always liked going there for a late night trip and just sit on top of my truck with my friends. Those were the days.
I went to North Carolina A&T in Greensboro. We had a location just off of our campus so needless to say I went there often. They also started building them in Wilson and Rocky Mount, which I go to often because I have family down there, so I still go to Cookout every time I go down.

I would love to see it come up to this region. Spotsylvania has a Steak n' Shake, which is the only one anywhere near DC, so I would imagine if Cookout started near DC, they would start in an area like that. I'm not sure how it would do closer to the city. It's so expensive, it would be risky to go to close, but maybe they will do it one day soon.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 PM

I rate Rays to the Third a 8/10; I had the "Soul Burger" cooked medium well, I shouldn't have asked for the mushrooms but nonethless the burger was quite good. I deducted two points solely because I didn't have the messiness that I desired, but nonethless it was delicious. The price is a bit steep as well, my meal came up to like $19.24 and I added a $5.00 tip and this is just for one meal. One thing I do wish is that the buns were a bit larger, a lot of the meat was hanging off the burger but I guess that's because I had mine Big Devil size.

I wish I would've known the attire of the restaurant as well, everyone seemed to be in corporate gear.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I went to North Carolina A&T in Greensboro. We had a location just off of our campus so needless to say I went there often. They also started building them in Wilson and Rocky Mount, which I go to often because I have family down there, so I still go to Cookout every time I go down.

I would love to see it come up to this region. Spotsylvania has a Steak n' Shake, which is the only one anywhere near DC, so I would imagine if Cookout started near DC, they would start in an area like that. I'm not sure how it would do closer to the city. It's so expensive, it would be risky to go to close, but maybe they will do it one day soon.
Oh ok, I have a few friends that attend A&T now, then I have some that go to UNC-G; I usually go up there for homecoming. And yeah, the one in Wilson is pretty nice; Greenville now has a few of them, like two or three if I'm not mistaken.

And I agree, I'm not sure if the DC proper would support it, the city is too yuppie for that now. I think DC could support a Zaxbys though.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM

518 posts, read 1,454,177 times
Quote:
I rate Rays to the Third a 8/10; I had the "Soul Burger" cooked medium well, I shouldn't have asked for the mushrooms but nonethless the burger was quite good. I deducted two points solely because I didn't have the messiness that I desired, but nonethless it was delicious. The price is a bit steep as well, my meal came up to like $19.24 and I added a $5.00 tip and this is just for one meal. One thing I do wish is that the buns were a bit larger, a lot of the meat was hanging off the burger but I guess that's because I had mine Big Devil size.

I wish I would've known the attire of the restaurant as well, everyone seemed to be in corporate gear.
Ray's Hell Burger (when it was across the street) was a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, very casual, and cash only. The burgers were very messy and quite big then. One burger required multiple sheets of paper towel just to stay somewhat clean. I haven't been to Ray's to the Third, but I hope they open up an exclusive burger place again.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM

518 posts, read 1,454,177 times
Quote:
Oh ok, I have a few friends that attend A&T now, then I have some that go to UNC-G; I usually go up there for homecoming. And yeah, the one in Wilson is pretty nice; Greenville now has a few of them, like two or three if I'm not mistaken.

And I agree, I'm not sure if the DC proper would support it, the city is too yuppie for that now. I think DC could support a Zaxbys though.
I spoke to the Steak & Shake Manager at the new location, and they plan to expand into the Hampton Roads area next year, and in the DC suburbs in two years. They're focusing on expanding throughout the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: