Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 PM

17 posts, read 30,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I've never tried nor seen a burger at Whole Foods and I'm quite the frequent shopper there; the main sandwich I get from there is the Chicken Pesto, if you haven't tried it, you should; make sure you get a lemonade on the side as well. I think I'll pass on Black and Oragne, far too many negative reviews for my taste. And what is BGR?

My next question now is, where are the good pizza places?

Personally, my favorite is "Fuel" which is by the Verizon Center but I'm always up to explore more options.
The Whole Foods in Foggy Bottom has a touchscreen ordering system for hot food where you can get turkey and beef burgers among other things. They have a few good toppings to choose from and they have a weekly special which is usually pretty solid.

For pizza I'd recommend Pizza Movers on the low end and Graffiato on the higher side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Oh ok, I have a few friends that attend A&T now, then I have some that go to UNC-G; I usually go up there for homecoming. And yeah, the one in Wilson is pretty nice; Greenville now has a few of them, like two or three if I'm not mistaken.

And I agree, I'm not sure if the DC proper would support it, the city is too yuppie for that now. I think DC could support a Zaxbys though.
Yeah during homecoming, the Cookout at A&T is the 'hangout' spot. That is one of the reasons why I can't see it catching on too much up here. The way the service is, it has a very southern feel to the business, very laid back and friendly. Everybody is hustle and bustle up here. I don't know if it could survive this market with that model. If they stay in a place like Spotsylvania or Fredericksburg, I think that is about as far as it should come up.

Never heard of Zaxbys, is it like Cookout?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
I spoke to the Steak & Shake Manager at the new location, and they plan to expand into the Hampton Roads area next year, and in the DC suburbs in two years. They're focusing on expanding throughout the southeast.
Hampton Roads would be a great move for them. I am kind of shock they weren't there already. It would be nice to get them a little closer here. I think they could make it in the DC area. They much different than the carryouts we have up here.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Yeah during homecoming, the Cookout at A&T is the 'hangout' spot. That is one of the reasons why I can't see it catching on too much up here. The way the service is, it has a very southern feel to the business, very laid back and friendly. Everybody is hustle and bustle up here. I don't know if it could survive this market with that model. If they stay in a place like Spotsylvania or Fredericksburg, I think that is about as far as it should come up.

Never heard of Zaxbys, is it like Cookout?
It's nothing like Cookout, it's more like a chicken restaurant that's serves 'healthier' options for chicken-lovers.

Zaxby's - Home

And I can only imagine how packed Cookout is during Homecoming, I usually just go to a friends house and hang out there; but of course that really isn't my crowd anymore, most of my friends believe I'm too 'uppity' now for their endeavors. And I agree, but I could actually see them doing well in the Baltimore market, the people aren't in a rush as much as the DC market.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Hampton Roads would be a great move for them. I am kind of shock they weren't there already. It would be nice to get them a little closer here. I think they could make it in the DC area. They much different than the carryouts we have up here.
I've honestly never tried Steak and Shake, how is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Ray's Hell Burger (when it was across the street) was a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, very casual, and cash only. The burgers were very messy and quite big then. One burger required multiple sheets of paper towel just to stay somewhat clean. I haven't been to Ray's to the Third, but I hope they open up an exclusive burger place again.
That must've been the one I saw In video where Obama, and the former President of Russia ate at; it looked delicious. Rays to the Third was good as well, but not exactly the messy factor I've been seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Yep Teppanyaki it is...often confused with 'hibachi' here in the US, and yes Sakura is pretty good in terms of what you can expect to get in Japanese food, in this region
Is Sakura like authentic Japanese food or Americanized Japanese food?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I've honestly never tried Steak and Shake, how is it?
It's great. They have a huge menu and it's relatively inexpensive. They have a lot of different types of burgers. They have some unique shoe string fries and their milk shakes are excellent. One thing that makes them stand out is their breakfast menu though. They have pancakes. Some times they have all you can eat pancakes. I haven't had any of them yet, but it's much different from the typical burger places here. They are also open 24 hours too. I ranked them above Sonics as far as burger places that haven't made it to the area. I also think Hardees (it's one in Stafford and another in Anne Arundel) has great burgers and I think having more of them would be great too.

Menu | Steak 'n Shake

Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 AM

69 posts, read 138,273 times
Quote:

I've always wanted to try Z-Burgers, but I wasn't sure how it tasted. Are you a burger lover such as myself? It seems like your list is flipped, everyone here has made it seem like Rays is the greatest place on earth for a burger. LOL
You know, Rays just might be the greatest place on earth for a burger lol.
I've never tried it, but hopefully sometime this month I'll make my way down there and report back.

And yep, I consider myself to be somewhat of a burger enthusiast. Can't trust people who dislike burgers!

For pizza, the only place I really like is Pizza Movers and Calzones. I'm from New York and grew up close to the best pizza ever created (in my opinion) so it's hard for me to find great pizza places down here.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
It's great. They have a huge menu and it's relatively inexpensive. They have a lot of different types of burgers. They have some unique shoe string fries and their milk shakes are excellent. One thing that makes them stand out is their breakfast menu though. They have pancakes. Some times they have all you can eat pancakes. I haven't had any of them yet, but it's much different from the typical burger places here. They are also open 24 hours too. I ranked them above Sonics as far as burger places that haven't made it to the area. I also think Hardees (it's one in Stafford and another in Anne Arundel) has great burgers and I think having more of them would be great too.

Menu | Steak 'n Shake
I had S&S in Louisville and their prices were a working college student's best friend. Wasn't wild about their fries but the burgers were good and the breakfast was good too.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Anybody find any new eateries they'd like to discuss? I'm coming back to the area this weekend after a short-vacation and I'm looking for somewhere to eat that's delicious. Discuss.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Washington, DC: Washington DC, DC Restaurants: See 1,948 restaurants with 64,099 reviews - TripAdvisor

Annandale, VA: Annandale, VA Restaurants: See 54 restaurants with 371 reviews - TripAdvisor

Rockville, MD: Rockville, MD Restaurants: See 233 restaurants with 2,967 reviews - TripAdvisor

National Harbor, MD: Oxon Hill, MD Restaurants: See 40 restaurants with 2,587 reviews - TripAdvisor

Falls Church, VA: Falls Church, VA Restaurants: See 193 restaurants with 2,635 reviews - TripAdvisor

Arlington, VA: Arlington, VA Restaurants: See 480 restaurants with 10,291 reviews - TripAdvisor

Alexandria, VA: Alexandria, VA Restaurants: See 442 restaurants with 10,914 reviews - TripAdvisor

Hyattsville, MD: Hyattsville, MD Restaurants: See 44 restaurants with 253 reviews - TripAdvisor

Fredericksburg, VA: Fredericksburg, VA Restaurants: See 231 restaurants with 3,445 reviews - TripAdvisor

Tyson's Corner, VA: Tysons Corner, VA Restaurants: See 79 restaurants with 2,124 reviews - TripAdvisor

Silver Spring, MD: Silver Spring, MD Restaurants: See 171 restaurants with 2,262 reviews - TripAdvisor

Wheaton, MD: Wheaton, MD Restaurants: See 34 restaurants with 282 reviews - TripAdvisor

Gaithersburg, MD: Gaithersburg, MD Restaurants: See 147 restaurants with 1,977 reviews - TripAdvisor

Camp Springs, MD: Camp Springs, MD Restaurants: See restaurants with 22 reviews - TripAdvisor

Frederick, MD: Frederick, MD Restaurants: See 198 restaurants with 3,742 reviews - TripAdvisor

Springfield, VA: Springfield, VA Restaurants: See 98 restaurants with 1,124 reviews - TripAdvisor

Bethesda, MD: Bethesda, MD Restaurants: See 224 restaurants with 3,725 reviews - TripAdvisor

Chevy Chase, MD: Chevy Chase, MD Restaurants: See 16 restaurants with 464 reviews - TripAdvisor

College Park, MD: College Park, MD Restaurants: See 56 restaurants with 463 reviews - TripAdvisor

Charlottesville, VA: Charlottesville, VA Restaurants: See 331 restaurants with 7,725 reviews - TripAdvisor

Woodbridge, VA: Woodbridge, VA Restaurants: See 130 restaurants with 1,304 reviews - TripAdvisor

Centreville, VA: Centreville, VA Restaurants: See 58 restaurants with 685 reviews - TripAdvisor

Germantown, MD: Germantown, MD Restaurants: See 55 restaurants with 591 reviews - TripAdvisor

Leesburg, VA: Leesburg, VA Restaurants: See 117 restaurants with 2,282 reviews - TripAdvisor

Fort Washington, MD: Fort Washington, MD Restaurants: See 13 restaurants with 45 reviews - TripAdvisor

Reston, VA: Reston, VA Restaurants: See 94 restaurants with 2,191 reviews - TripAdvisor

Herndon, VA: Herndon, VA Restaurants: See 100 restaurants with 1,571 reviews - TripAdvisor

Manassas, VA: Manassas, VA Restaurants: See 113 restaurants with 1,496 reviews - TripAdvisor

Takoma Park, MD: Takoma Park, MD Restaurants: See 13 restaurants with 113 reviews - TripAdvisor

Vienna, VA: Vienna, VA Restaurants: See 62 restaurants with 1,036 reviews - TripAdvisor

Chantilly, VA: Chantilly, VA Restaurants: See 77 restaurants with 794 reviews - TripAdvisor

Laurel, MD: Laurel, MD Restaurants: See 94 restaurants with 719 reviews - TripAdvisor

Bowie, MD: Bowie, MD Restaurants: See 58 restaurants with 587 reviews - TripAdvisor

Greenbelt, MD: Greenbelt, MD Restaurants: See 28 restaurants with 334 reviews - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: