Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 06:50 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,348,918 times

Advertisements

I've said this very thing in this thread a few times:

Metro CEO: DC’s fare evasion law needs changing

Quote:
“Not everyone that fare evades commits criminal activity on our system,” he said. “But, almost universally … 99.9% of people that commit criminal acts in our system fare evade.”

Clarke believes that stopping fare-gate jumpers will also limit violence on Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 07:01 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
The city council probably thinks the solution is to just make it free for D.C. residents, so then the criminals don't have to fare evade to use Metro as a getaway vehicle.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The city council probably thinks the solution is to just make it free for D.C. residents, so then the criminals don't have to fare evade to use Metro as a getaway vehicle.
They tried, but it got scrapped. I'm sure it will come back in the next legislative session:

How D.C.'s $100 Metro subsidy got put on ice

Quote:
The plan to give D.C. residents $100 monthly SmarTrip stipends has taken a backseat to free Metrobus service across the city.
So for now, the Metrobus will have to serve as a getaway mode of transport. There's risk the bus driver could stop though.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:46 PM

211 posts, read 239,941 times
Quote:
Cars make better getaway vehicles. You don’t have to wait 20 minutes for the next train, and don’t have to get a video of yourself being recorded at the station and inside the train.

Last edited by DCarea; 04-26-2023 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 07:46 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
Cars make better getaway vehicles. You don’t have to wait 20 minutes for the next train, and don’t have to get a video of yourself being recorded at the station and inside the train.

Cars aren't always readily available if you're a kid or just plain broke. We're not talking about meticulously planned heists or hits here.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:08 PM

211 posts, read 239,941 times
Quote:
Cars aren't always readily available if you're a kid or just plain broke. We're not talking about meticulously planned heists or hits here.
If they could afford guns and ammo, they could afford a beat up car.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,614 times
Good luck escaping through 295.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:06 AM

DC area metro parking garages have cameras throughout them, and this kind of crap still happens. Brazen is a good word to describe an attacker like this and more common than just a few years ago.

Metro Police looking for man they say tried to rape woman at Shady Grove Station

Quote:
Police are searching for a man they say attempted to rape a woman at a Metro station in Rockville Monday night.

At 10:58 p.m., police said a woman reported that a man approached her from behind in the parking garage at the Shady Grove Metro Station as she was getting into her car. The man then forced her to the ground and attempted to rape her.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:39 AM

Been a while since I visited this thread. I would love to see some of the naysayers on my points in this thread post up their stats on the Metro.

Find them here:

Your 2023 Metro Report

I'm in the top 2%. I would love to compare that to the "metro is great" crowd.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:23 PM

136 posts, read 63,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert20170 View Post
been a while since i visited this thread. I would love to see some of the naysayers on my points in this thread post up their stats on the metro.

Find them here:

your 2023 metro report

i'm in the top 2%. I would love to compare that to the "metro is great" crowd.

I’m in the “Metro is the greatest” in the U.S. crowd excluding the size discrepancy of NY. And one of the better metro rail systems in the world I’ve had experience with. I’d still tip it to NY as best in the U.S. being better because ultimately, frequency, scale and 24 hours matter to me more than clean stations, tbh.

I was just in NY. Trains to Brooklyn required a special shuttle train due to a lot of weekend track work. Add to a “police incident” that further shut down a part of that shuttle and I had to find alternate ways to get back to Manhattan. Some stations didn’t have very visible arrival times. Obviously dirtier. Trains seemed smaller. It didn’t annoy me because it happens. In Paris, the RER from the airport was shut down, required shuttle buses etc which was a hassle. The problems I’ve had on WMATA, I just really don’t find out of the ordinary.

Randy has made a big difference in most of the annoyances I had. There’s not much otherwise I have complaints other than more. More trains, more lines, more buses, more bus lanes, more buses with cameras more security, longer operating hours. We at least now have 24/7 bus routes & I’m personally happy with the new fare gates. Yeah, they could still be hopped but they have made a huge visible difference from what I’ve seen. Pentagon City has zero teens loitering now. My biggest issue is Gallery Place. It’s unacceptable IMO including within the metro entrances.

The bus fare boxes need to be fixed. Though, I’m not that bothered by it lol. Buses are mostly nice. I’ve also ridden the circulator and FFX Connector more than WMATA metro bus which aren’t captured by that tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to DC - How's the metro?-img_3312.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC