Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 04:45 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Sounds like they also need a review of the literature on masks. So tired of the pseudo-religious moralizing from the covid fanatics who use every possible forum as a platform for their preaching. I respect your choice to wear a mask everywhere you go, but mind your own business and don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around you.
I agree with that but I’d take it a step farther and say businesses and such that do require a mask, people need to respect it and leave. If a business requires it, don’t yell or berate them. Go elsewhere.

I’ve seen people act belligerent at Fords Theatre and Kennedy Center lately who act very nasty to the staff. It’s posts clear, they make it clear. Don’t like it, leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 10:13 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I agree with that but I’d take it a step farther and say businesses and such that do require a mask, people need to respect it and leave. If a business requires it, don’t yell or berate them. Go elsewhere.

I’ve seen people act belligerent at Fords Theatre and Kennedy Center lately who act very nasty to the staff. It’s posts clear, they make it clear. Don’t like it, leave.
Absolutely - Mind your business goes both ways.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:03 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
The incompetence is truly staggering.

More Public-Transit Failure in D.C.

Quote:
Sometimes government incompetence, while expected, still manages to astonish.

The WMATA, which attempts to operate the Washington, D.C., subway system (crediting it with actually operating the system would be too generous), is struggling to provide a sufficient number of train operators to drive a fleet that’s already missing 60 percent of its trains and serving only about 30 percent of the riders it served as recently as three years ago.

First came the revelation that nearly half of its train operators had lapsed safety certifications and were no longer allowed to operate trains. The WMATA thinks it will take two to three months to recertify the roughly 250 operators whose certifications have lapsed.

Now, we learn that the WMATA has been working operators up to 16 hours per day, possibly leading them to make major mistakes owing to fatigue. Jordan Pascale of DCist reports:

Old 06-05-2022, 09:15 PM

76 posts, read 103,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover20 View Post
Rode the metro quite a bit last August and was surprised how many people weren't wearing masks. I had just spent a week in NYC, making heavy use of their subway. I would say the metro is better and cleaner. I was there again a little over a week ago, and rode the metro to get to the Foggy Bottom area from the National Mall. Not far, but again, alarmed by the number of people without masks.

Hard to believe that there are people in this society who resist wearing a mask to not only protect themselves from catching a virus that is highly contagious and deadly, but to protect others from getting sick, because they feel that it unreasonably restricts their "freedom". Many Americans are so pathetic. So weak, so entitled, so tolerant of ignorance, and annoyingly irrational. Infections are on the rise again which isn't a surprise given this ridiculous behavior by the clueless anti-maskers.

The pandemic still exists, and its variants are stalking America. It is NOT a given that "everyone will get it, so we might as well accept that." Unbelievable seeing people not wearing a mask, especially on a subway ride.
Point well taken re: Metro. Particularly in the States. You gotta take a chill pill on the mask thing though. Society is moving from hysteria to coping with a virus that isn't going anywhere any time soon. Between vaccines and therapeutics, most people will be just fine if they test positive. If you have a comorbidity or are elderly, its on you to wear a mask whenever you leave your home.

Last edited by Oprime; 06-05-2022 at 09:25 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 07:54 AM

Thankfully, the Nazis are no longer enforcing a mask "mandate". I'm mask free until I'm told it's a "federal offense" again.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:43 AM

Remove consequences and accountability, and this is what you're left with. Makes me sad for the DC area and people that are stuck living here. Three years until my retirement (thinking about sooner) and I'm out of here to my lake house in rural PA. This city can KMA.

DC Metro: Youth ignite Fireworks in car, Assault passenger, and Theft

Quote:
Par for the course, the Metro delivered during Monday evening rush hour. Some DC children ignited a rapid succession of fireworks, assaulted a guy who filmed them, and ran off with his phone.

Videos were taken in the immediate aftermath of the fireworks. Whatever was set off led to about 20 loud bangs - akin to a small caliber pistol - and the car filled with enough smoke to make things unnerving. The kid in the green, henceforth referred to as Kermie, was a charming young man. Kermie eventually leaned entirely over a seated adult man who had been filming the antics, and with a clenched fist, threatened the passenger for filming. The adult passenger stayed calm & cool and only chased after the kids when they snatched his phone and ran off with it.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:45 PM

211 posts, read 238,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Remove consequences and accountability, and this is what you're left with. Makes me sad for the DC area and people that are stuck living here. Three years until my retirement (thinking about sooner) and I'm out of here to my lake house in rural PA. This city can KMA.

DC Metro: Youth ignite Fireworks in car, Assault passenger, and Theft

Isolated incident. I love it here. We work and hard play hard. Retirement is for those who ran out of juice. Maybe I’ll yearn for rural lake house in my 60’s, but until then, best time of my life here in DC.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:56 AM

A win for MTPD. Be careful out there ladies.

MTPD arrests suspect in attempted rape at Transit Center in Silver Spring

Old 07-22-2022, 07:17 AM

I started life in aircraft maintenance where no chances are taken, and instinctively I just knew this announcement was coming: (As I said in post #224)

Quote:
If they're ever able to bring the 7000 series cars back into service the crowding issue we're starting to see will be reduced, but if they continue to sit inactive we're in for a world of hurt crowding wise.
https://twitter.com/AdamTuss/status/...fg6EjxWdsH9wTQ

Quote:
NEW: Metro’s Interim GM said in a sit down interview with @nbcwashington today that the troubled 7000 series railcars could potentially be permanently flawed - and most likely will have to go through a daily, time consuming inspection process

Old 07-22-2022, 12:00 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
I started life in aircraft maintenance where no chances are taken, and instinctively I just knew this announcement was coming: (As I said in post #224)

https://twitter.com/AdamTuss/status/...fg6EjxWdsH9wTQ

The best part about it is that the 7000 series cars were the only ones with a half-decent interior. Instead you still got those old 1980s cars out there that look like garbage with their stained floors and ripped seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC