Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 06:14 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,283,840 times

Advertisements

There was an attempted rape on a Metro train at Ballston station last week. It was 10 pm at night, but that would still have been considered a 'safe' part of the Metro network even at that time not long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 06:59 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,347,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There was an attempted rape on a Metro train at Ballston station last week. It was 10 pm at night, but that would still have been considered a 'safe' part of the Metro network even at that time not long ago.
There's so much crime on the Metro over the past couple of years that I've stopped reporting it on here, because anyone that thinks that it's not there is living in the dark as far and beyond reason as I'm concerned.

On top of dealing with crime and harassment from the homeless and mentally ill on the system, they are still getting poor marks in regards to safety:

Metro is falling short on critical safety practices, regulator says

Quote:
The commission said one key problem is “maintenance personnel not understanding how to carry out” preventive maintenance connected with certain track circuits. The equipment helps determine where trains are so that other trains don’t enter the same area, according to the commission.

Auditors also discovered that workers were “closing preventive maintenance work orders that are not complete, and not tracking deficiencies and required corrective maintenance to ensure that repairs are made.”

The transit agency’s Automatic Train Control engineers with important oversight responsibilities, meanwhile, can’t “reliably or proactively” determine if the system is working as designed to protect riders and employees, the audit found.

“Metrorail does not review, analyze, and act upon available safety data about the health and functionality of the Automatic Train Control system and subsystems” as required by its own safety plan, the audit said. “Metrorail does not understand its data, its significance, what analysis is needed, or proper maintenance techniques.”

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 01-22-2024 at 07:26 AM..

Old 02-14-2024, 05:56 PM

1,038 posts, read 563,265 times
It's been many years since I lived in D.C., but I used to take the Metro 5 to 6 days a week from D.C. to and from Alexandria, Va for work (w/ a bus stop at the Pentagon). During rush hour it was great, much better than S.F.'s BART trains.

The thing about the riff raff on the trains or in the stations is, unfortunately, just what this society has devolved to. That's a fact of life in almost any major city. Portland was horrendous in that regard, and S.F's bus and light rail has seen a lot of crazy people acting out. People who do not belong on the trains. It's better or worse, depending on the time of day.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It's been many years since I lived in D.C., but I used to take the Metro 5 to 6 days a week from D.C. to and from Alexandria, Va for work (w/ a bus stop at the Pentagon). During rush hour it was great, much better than S.F.'s BART trains.

The thing about the riff raff on the trains or in the stations is, unfortunately, just what this society has devolved to. That's a fact of life in almost any major city. Portland was horrendous in that regard, and S.F's bus and light rail has seen a lot of crazy people acting out. People who do not belong on the trains. It's better or worse, depending on the time of day.
I had the exact opposite experience in San Francisco's BART and had mostly pleasant commutes while living there. I was coming in all the way from Bay Point to the Financial District and did that commute for nearly two years. I will agree with you in that things have devolved even further in the last several years. My time in San Francisco was 2010-2012.

Old 02-26-2024, 05:37 AM

This teen boy was actually shot while aboard the train. Good thing that guns are not allowed on the Metro.

Teenager hospitalized after shooting at Anacostia Metro Station, officials say

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. (7News) — A teenager was taken to the hospital after being shot on board a Green Line Train Saturday night at the Anacostia Metro Station, authorities said.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority said around 11:20 p.m., special police on patrol at Anacostia Station reported a shooting on board the Green Line train.

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 02-26-2024 at 05:47 AM..

Old 03-28-2024, 04:58 AM

I love the smell of fentanyl in the morning.

Dude was smoking fentanyl on the DC Metro during my commute today.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:00 AM

It's like the movie Groundhog Day. So tiring.

Metro safety, transparency questioned after alleged Metro Silver Line sexual assault

Quote:
An alleged sexual assault on a Silver Line train is raising questions about safety on Metro rail and questions about transparency with how Metro Transit Police notified the community about the alleged sexual assault.

In February, a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted on a Silver Line Metro train heading to Ashburn. As Loudoun County Supervisor Kristen Umstattd explains, there were no cameras on the train, the intercom wasn’t working and the train was empty except for the victim and the alleged attacker.

Old Today, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 179 times
The metro is pretty good and efficient compared to most systems in North America. It needs to be expanded much more, however, especially at its core. This is my dream map of it

https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/comments/nkwhn9/fantasy_washington_dc_metro_system_map_made_by[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC