Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:29 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
This is a very cool site for viewing radar in the past 20 years. But why can you only zoom in to a few certain regions?

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml
Sweet! Daryl is very cool and busy coming up with cool stuff.. He has some awesome stuff out there. This is him on Twitter. I wonder if he will be adding more regions.

There is another way to retrieve archives and have the ability to zoom into specific areas but requires some steps and a software.

Click on Radar Site with map here and download files. (It gets annoying after a while to save each file when emailed but once uploaded with the software it's pretty darn cool to have)
NEXRAD Data Inventory Search | National Climatic Data Center

GR2A Software -
GR2Analyst Main Page

I thought I had another link that was able to retrieve past radars. Have to look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Here's WPC/NOAA Archives link for Daily Weather Maps, Surface maps, Forecast Maps, Winter Weather Forecasts, Mesoscale Discussions, Tropical Advisories, Storm Summaries, National Max/Min Temp

WPC Product Archives

Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Click on Radar Site with map here and download files. (It gets annoying after a while to save each file when emailed but once uploaded with the software it's pretty darn cool to have)
NEXRAD Data Inventory Search | National Climatic Data Center
The bottom left link on that page is an interactive map with radar frames every 5 minutes 1995-present. Perfect! Just type in the date and time and hit update map.

Maps | NCDC - National Climatic Data Center

This is very helpful to me since I love to watch how storms form and didn't always have radar with me. I've been searching through past seasonal threads here on the weather forum as well as Twitter accounts to see if anyone had posted a radar screenshot from certain days.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
The Arab Meteorology Book:
PDF with Lots of Climatic Normals for Arabic & African Countries
http://extras.springer.com/2007/978-...6_Appendix.pdf

Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 AM

Precip Maps: 24, 48hr, month to date and previous month

Each cover a different area.

Mid Atlantic: gis_rfc
Northeast: gis_rfc
Southeast: gis_rfc

Ohio Valley: gis_rfc
Midwest/SPlains: gis_rfc
Midwest: gis_rfc
South: gis_rfc

Southern Plains: gis_rfc
SouthWest: gis_rfc
CA/NV: gis_rfc
TX/NM: gis_rfc
Northwest: gis_rfc

This actual rain totals for part of the South. 18"+ fell in the purple areas March 2016.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Figure I do a quick update on this with the better link and map...

How to find Weather Data for all U.S locations available through NOAA/NWS..

1. Go to this link to choose which location you want to see data for. Each NWS office covers certain areas so not all offices will cover an entire state that's why there are multiple links for each state..
SERCC NOAA NOWData

You can use this Map to get an idea of the coverage areas from the offices. For instance if you look at Long Island, NY you can see that NWS NY office there covers Northeast NJ as well.
Spoiler

2. Inside the Nowdata page. Lets use Atlanta for this example..
National Weather Service Climate

There is a lot of stuff you can check but To keep this post short and sweet, here's a look at how to see monthly precip data.

Remember.. the first locations that have "area" in them are the official Climate sites and cover every location they've moved from and to. The others are the co-op sites and may or may not be quality controlled so heads up on that.. Some offices only have 1 official Climo site like Burlington Vermont.

Choose location..
Choose product.. We are going to look at data for every month on record
Choose Options.. "por" = 1st yr of records. I chose Precip and Sum
Click Go..

Here are the results... You can enlarge the results and even click on the month to sort out to see what the Wettest or driest month was. Records started October 1878 there for Atlanta.
Bottom 3 rows has the Mean-Max-Min.
The most rainfall they received in August was 10.04" in 1920.

You can check Temps, Snowfall, Snow depth. You can check the records for each calendar day. You can check normals, First and Last dates for something, Daily Data for a particular month.
You can even get graphs made there there.

Impossible to list and show everything, but don't hesitate to ask questions. Others on this forum and myself can help.

Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:42 AM

Looks like weather.com has added monthly records.

I haven't used it enough or double checked anything to know if its ok or not. Hopefully they simply used NWS data and just entered it in their own format. But something new to check out if you want.

Very hard to navigate. Why couldn't they just let us click "monthly" and have a drop down list or a map. Even the link just has the stations call numbers instead of the 3 letter station code which we could of easily changed.

Anyway -- Maybe someone will play around with it and let us know.

Hartford: https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USNY0633:1:US
NYC: https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USNY0996:1:US

Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
UAE
National Centre of Meteorology and Seismology

Very short Climate Normals (2003-2014) for various weather stations
Temperature,Rainfall,Humidity,Wind Speed and Solar Radiation

Ministry of Presidential Affairs - National Center of Meteorology & Seismology - Climate History - Madinat Zayed

Also daily climate reports
Ministry of Presidential Affairs - National Center of Meteorology & Seismology - Climate Report

Old 05-18-2016, 04:41 AM

Great site to get data and analog results. The Temp data is in F° including the departures.

Keeping it short and simple.

ESRL : PSD : NOAA/NCDC Climate Division Data Plots

1. Choose Variable. Precip, Temps, Temp Max, Temp Min, Heating, Cooling
2. Choose plot. Mean, Rank, Percentile, Anomaly
3. Choose base period. I usually use 1981-2010 since it relates to current
4. Choose months.
5. Choose years you want to blend those months you chose
6. Optional to make graph bigger

So I chose to show the precip departures for months of June and July for 1990 and 2015. (Just a random pick for purpose of this example)

The result is this.. Blending 1990 and 2015 June & July months it was a Wet Mid West and Ohio Valley and Dry southeast.

This site is great for not only retrieving single month or yearly data, but to figure out analogs such as particular years we had La Nina in Summer, or a negative NAO month, or ect ect.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I just found out about it. This will be helpful for anyone not already in the know. A sticky would be great...

Example: Get monthly summary data
  1. Go to Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center
  2. Click on Monthly Data
  3. This will bring up the world map. If you type a location in the Locator box, you can go to directly to that location. Otherwise, you can zoom in and out with the map tools.
  4. From what I see, you can't click on a station directly. Instead, there is the Select by Rectangle option in the Select Tools box. There are other options too; I haven't tried them out.
  5. Once you have selected the area with the station you want, a box will appear showing all of the stations you selected. You can choose one or more stations. Click Get Selected Data.
  6. A new tab/window will show up. Enter your email the data will be sent to and the date period you want.
  7. For Climate Delivery Format, go here for examples of how the data will look when you get it.
  8. Go to continue and follow the rest of the steps. The "order" is free, so don't worry about that. They say that it might take 24-36 hours, but it took me less than 5 minutes to get all of the monthly data (1891-2012) from the weather station at the University of Michigan.
I can't get it to work on my smartphone, will it only work on a PC/Laptop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather