Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 06:33 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times

Advertisements

The houses on College Hill frequently have basement issues due to the heavy clay soils. While the houses are beautiful, I wouldn't want to live in an overpriced house that's gonna have cracked walls and basement walls that leak water. I live in Bel Aire where there are NO bums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:32 PM

31 posts, read 38,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Just like Washington DC, Chicago, LA, Cincinnati, Knoxville and Odessa ie.. anywhere, depends where in Wichita you live...
This.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:35 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lol at Kansas. I have not missed that place one bit. As a matter of fact, I have been to Kansas City at least a dozen times since the last time I was actually in Kansas. It's so easy to spend several days in KC seeing all the cool parts of the city and checking out attractions and culture without ever crossing into KS.

Someday, I might run over to Overland Park or something and interact with all the people that think they live in the best place on the planet, but it never seems worth my time when in KC.

Sad thing is. As much as Johnson County people think they live someplace special. They are certainly right when you look at the rest of the state.

KS is still a joke and honestly so is Missouri, at least politically and culturally. But least Missouri has plenty to do in both urban areas and rural areas.

Pretty sure you are required by law there to wear sports gear 7 days a week too. (and I'm a sports fan).

Kansas is a place you get gas on the way to somewhere else.

That was fun. Been a while since I did that .
Lol at KCMO. I'm sure for all concerned, it's better that you do not live in Kansas.

That was fun too.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:46 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
I looked up Wichita crime data and you only have 20 to 30 murders per year. Memphis had 342 murders in 2021; New Orleans a mere 218; Birmingham area 213; and Atlanta 158. What are people complaining about?

Old 08-06-2022, 12:00 AM

Kansas City and St. Louis were 155 and 199.

Wichita sounds pretty peaceful to me...

Old 08-06-2022, 09:32 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I looked up Wichita crime data and you only have 20 to 30 murders per year. Memphis had 342 murders in 2021; New Orleans a mere 218; Birmingham area 213; and Atlanta 158. What are people complaining about?
Per capita is what matters, not totals.

Wichitat has a significantly higher violent crime rate (11.92/1000 ciitizens) than atlanta (7.47/1000 citizens).

Old 08-06-2022, 06:33 PM

Wichita (city) has roughly 400,000 people versus Atlanta's (city) 500,000.

Wichita has 20 to 30 murders per year versus Atlanta's 158 last year. Per capita for Wichita to have the same number of murders as Atlanta, Wichita would need about 120 murders per year. But Wichita has only 20 to 30 murders a year, practically Scandinavia by American standards.

From what I've read, murder is the one crime for which data is reliable, because it's virtually impossible to not report or inaccurately report the number of murders. For that reason I tend to base safety assessments on murder rates rather than violent crime data which seems to vary drastically depending on what gets reported and who is doing the reporting.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:07 PM

297 posts, read 244,379 times
Default I've only been through there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Well, say whatever you want, but to me, Wichita sucked 30 years ago, so I am sure, it is worst now, whether you like it or not. Thank God I moved out of that butt hole many moons ago and I hope I dont ever have to go back there.
But the people I encountered I distinctly remember as being unfriendly.
I think it's a factory town which, imo, explains it.
Several years later I talked to a stranger I just met and mentioned how cheap the housing was in Witchita-not so cheap any more-and told him I might move there. His remark: "witchita??!!" That's a ROUGH town. I agree.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:48 PM

23 posts, read 21,352 times
Ehh, okc is close enough to go down for a weekend. Dallas isn't a bad drive. But it's home to me, been from Cali to Florida. A bit depressing in the winter, and too humid in the summer, but it's home. The homeless numbers are increasing, but American homelessness as a whole after the reset, has been climbing astronomically. Low crime rates and cost of living

Old 06-08-2023, 05:28 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprofit View Post
Ehh, okc is close enough to go down for a weekend. Dallas isn't a bad drive. But it's home to me, been from Cali to Florida. A bit depressing in the winter, and too humid in the summer, but it's home. The homeless numbers are increasing, but American homelessness as a whole after the reset, has been climbing astronomically. Low crime rates and cost of living
The big problem, having lived in Chicago and lived in Kansas is that for the 20% far left and right, the minute they hear that....the whole place must be a death trap or oppressive crap bucket etc. etc. etc.

Hard to filter past strong biases in some cases to get to honest depictions as neither is all that bad, nor a bed of roses either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita