Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
TedH71: If your wife works for the city government in Wichita and has the requirement, most city governments require you either live within city limits or the county.
I wouldn't say most. Most of that stuff happens in the East & Midwest. It's unheard of in places farther west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 07:36 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wouldn't say most. Most of that stuff happens in the East & Midwest. It's unheard of in places farther west.
There is a reason that many places in the west don't require it.

Most L.A. city employees don't live in L.A., Times analysis finds - LA Times

Please not I'm not taking a side here, just providing information.

I personally don't feel that for most places in the US it's just too dependent on each persons personal situation to make a blanket statement without adding caveats about income level, age and a host of other important characteristics.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,051 times
I have resided in Wichita since 2014 and of all the places that my adult self has lived in (Portland, ME, Boston, MA, Washington DC, Chicago, IL and here) this place is not for me... by any stretch of the imagination. Life here is boring and non stimulating. For me, it's not life, it's an existence. Maybe, even a decay.

Begin rant: There is almost no civic pride. The "If you want that, just go to Kansas City" is true. As is the, "This is Wichita, we don't need XYZ." Unless the subject is the Cheesecake Factory. For some unknown reason, Wichitans feel bringing that entity will put the city "on the map." They also love chain restaurants. Texas Road House has been voted number the one steak in Wichita five years running, ugh. There is this east side (east of Hillside) versus west side (west of West Street) rivalry. That, to an outsider, seems more one sided. Westsiders seem to have a big chip on their shoulder. This us versus them hurts the city as a whole and, in particular, downtown. Speaking of downtown, why is beatification and creating an aesthetically pleasing city so foreign? Why is developing the inner core into a vibrant destination full of boutiques, restaurants and business such a strange concept-idea? Why is the riverfront neglected? That could be a gem. Drive five hours north to Omaha and see what can be done. I have had more than one conversation about this and I often hear " if the city can afford to plant flowers, then my taxes are too high" or "Everything I need is at 21st and Maize." This line of thought is extremely short sided but very common here.

I could go on and on, like how education is not valued and obesity and smoking are common. Or, that they stop at Yield signs, drive 3-4 MPH under the speed limit, believe the Earth is 6000 years old and "dressing up" means wearing anything that says Shockers . But I won't.

Wichita is all about church, family, guns, Bud Light and 'Murcia. I'm not against any of those, except Bud Light...what's the point. But for me, I like a more cosmopolitan environment that stimulates the mind and body.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is... View Post
I have resided in Wichita since 2014 and of all the places that my adult self has lived in (Portland, ME, Boston, MA, Washington DC, Chicago, IL and here) this place is not for me... by any stretch of the imagination. Life here is boring and non stimulating. For me, it's not life, it's an existence. Maybe, even a decay.

Begin rant: There is almost no civic pride. The "If you want that, just go to Kansas City" is true. As is the, "This is Wichita, we don't need XYZ." Unless the subject is the Cheesecake Factory. For some unknown reason, Wichitans feel bringing that entity will put the city "on the map." They also love chain restaurants. Texas Road House has been voted number the one steak in Wichita five years running, ugh. There is this east side (east of Hillside) versus west side (west of West Street) rivalry. That, to an outsider, seems more one sided. Westsiders seem to have a big chip on their shoulder. This us versus them hurts the city as a whole and, in particular, downtown. Speaking of downtown, why is beatification and creating an aesthetically pleasing city so foreign? Why is developing the inner core into a vibrant destination full of boutiques, restaurants and business such a strange concept-idea? Why is the riverfront neglected? That could be a gem. Drive five hours north to Omaha and see what can be done. I have had more than one conversation about this and I often hear " if the city can afford to plant flowers, then my taxes are too high" or "Everything I need is at 21st and Maize." This line of thought is extremely short sided but very common here.

I could go on and on, like how education is not valued and obesity and smoking are common. Or, that they stop at Yield signs, drive 3-4 MPH under the speed limit, believe the Earth is 6000 years old and "dressing up" means wearing anything that says Shockers . But I won't.

Wichita is all about church, family, guns, Bud Light and 'Murcia. I'm not against any of those, except Bud Light...what's the point. But for me, I like a more cosmopolitan environment that stimulates the mind and body.
As you describe exists in several regions of this country. I don't know why that is. Personally I don't think all these 50 states belong in the same country.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:

Begin rant: There is almost no civic pride. The "If you want that, just go to Kansas City" is true. As is the, "This is Wichita, we don't need XYZ." Unless the subject is the Cheesecake Factory. For some unknown reason, Wichitans feel bringing that entity will put the city "on the map." They also love chain restaurants. Texas Road House has been voted number the one steak in Wichita five years running, ugh.
LOL, The Texas Roadhouse is my favorite restaurant in Stillwater, OK. That reminds me, I still haven't been to the Cheesecake Factory in Oklahoma City. Wichita sounds like it's in the same sad, stagnant shape Oklahoma City was in during the 1990s. The rest of your post was also interesting.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:08 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:

For years a lot of downtown had been held up by bankruptcy filings that have impeded progress, Bass Pro pulling out and choosing Olathe over downtown Wichita hurt the Waterwalk development to an extent as Bass Pro was expected to draw in traffic, plus the developer ran into financial issues and the recession hit so that project never really panned out either. Acting like nothing is happenin downtown is just being ignorant and it's not like the city isn't trying. It's not their fault that they can't get anyone to express interest in buildings like the old Macy's store. Old Town and the arena neighborhood have also improved in recent years. Why is it so bad to want to bring in new development like a Cheesecake Factory? Frankly I think Simon is an idiot for not shoving one into the old Service Merchandise/Stein Mary/Steve & Barry Jr Anchor slot at Towne East. Macy's was also often discussed as a "must have" before they made it clear that the only reason they were in Topeka is because they inherited a lease there and closed up once their contract came up. I don't know why Macy's would touch Wichita anyways. Oklahoma and Missouri are two of their worst markets, though Metro KC and Metro STL landed a top 100 performing location each. STL also landed on the worst performing market list for the company with ABQ and OKC with ABQ having one of the worst performing "profitable" stores in the chain at Cottonwood Mall.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 AM

51 posts, read 97,747 times
Quote:

Haha good post!

I just read through this thread. Flying to Wichita from California for an interview so I'll see what the fuss is about. I've also lived in Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Cali and Connecticut.

Unfortunately I won't have any time to see the city so I'll have to rely on research. I've lived in a town of 30K before so I'm sure it won't be worse than that.

I'll really only be able to see the city from my Uber back to the airport.

All that town had was a university and Walmart.

I'm 31 and single.

Last edited by exzacklyright; 01-03-2017 at 01:15 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,921 times
Extremely low cost of living compared to where you are from in California. It's a great town to raise kids because there's no such thing as horrible traffic, etc. The schools do need improvement but it's not that horrible either. I would suggest that you eat a meal at the Old Town district which basically is near the downtown and it's a happening place for young people. River City Brewery is a good one. They make chocolate beer amongst other beers that they produce.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:14 PM

26,417 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
It's a great town to raise kids because there's no such thing as horrible traffic, etc. The schools do need improvement but it's not that horrible either.
That is a contradictory statement, and many people have been leaving the state due to bad state governance, and the trend is accelerating, especially if you exclude the one economically solid county in the state, Johnson County.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin36 View Post
I have been in Wichita for many years due to family circumstances.
Want to trade your lame-as-**** city for my lame-as-**** city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita