Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM

867 posts, read 2,978,733 times

Advertisements

Especially with automation and outsourcing there just aren't enough living wage jobs to go around, STEM degree or not. That's the real issue that people don't like to talk about. It's not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Especially with automation and outsourcing there just aren't enough living wage jobs to go around, STEM degree or not. That's the real issue that people don't like to talk about. It's not you.
There are a ton of "living wage" jobs around. The problem with the term "living wage" is that that number differs dramatically for different parts of the country. Also, people need to have the proper skills to get the jobs that they want.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
It took me almost 3 years to find a "real" job. I would recommend that you get out of the retail industry unless you want to work retail all your life. Go be a office temp, at least you get professional office work experience.
I could not agree with that statement more. Professional office experience will go along ways in this world than knowing how to stock shelves in a retail environment.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
I agree that you can't place blame on the school. At the same time though, I think some university's would help their students out a lot by having more emphasis on the importance of internships or career development in college. In another post somewhere on here, someone said (it may have been you! not sure though...) that different colleges have different cultures or expectations when it comes to internships, at one person's school internships may be a typical thing that students do. At my university the "culture" didn't really place a heavy emphasis on internships.

I've heard of some schools, or specific departments at some schools, that require at least one internship or one full year of part time employment before you can graduate.
I know of departments at my school that did and they were education (student teaching,) social work and health. The others you don't. Remember, internships can take anywhere from 1 to 6 credits so it could knock out one, maybe two courses. Now if you are blocked by how quick you need to graduate (say grant, scholarship or even general savings) you may not be able to do the extra semester or two that would result from taking an internship with college credit.

I think many universities don't emphasize internships unless it is specific schools. Even in my alma mater's business school, only a few teachers promoted internships and jobs. Otherwise it was take initiative and talk to the career center or go hunt for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There are a ton of "living wage" jobs around. The problem with the term "living wage" is that that number differs dramatically for different parts of the country. Also, people need to have the proper skills to get the jobs that they want.
Living wage is kind of a nebulous concept because of the fact it can bounce from area to area (even within states) like you said.

For the skills, it is hard to really get the specific skills employers want for each job. Think about it, some may want specific software experience or don't consider specific and relevant course work to count as experience.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You graduated in June. It's Oct. It's only been 4 months.

Did you not know that it can take close to a year (if not longer) to find a job? I'm not saying that to be mean and I know how frustrating it is to find a job. You just have to change your expectations and get out there and hustle.

How many jobs are you apply for every week? Are you looking nationally? Have you asked all of your employed friends and family to look at their company's job postings and give you the name and contact info of the hiring manager or recruiters?
This.

Just going off my graduating class ('07), maybe 25% had solid career-type jobs after four months. It wasn't many. Half were completely unemployed, 25% were working Starbucks-type jobs or barely paid internships/goffer jobs, 25% fully employed. After 2-3 years it was probably 2/3rds working in career jobs. By now I've lost touch with most of them so I couldn't say.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,598 times
Most schools will usually have each separate faction of their college keep records of what their alumni are doing. I would contact your college's alumni center or whatever they called your business department there. I would browse them for people with job titles similar to one that you would want and see if there is contact information to send them an email to see if they would mind critiquing your resume and giving you any pointers on what to do. Usually, fellow alumni like to help others from the same school if they can. There's a camaraderie there.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,851 times
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if this was addressed.

Those are all great companies to have interviewed with. Following a 'no offer,' did you go back and ask any of them why they opted to go with another candidate / what you could have done differently? Not all will answer, but those who do might provide helpful feedback.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,742,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I graduated from college back in June of 2013 with my B.A degree in Management, and a minor in marketing. I have had about 9 interviews, and three onsite interviews and 1 job offer ( internship). I have interviewed with companies such as: AT&T( headquarters), Geico, Collective brands, Supervalu, Sears Holdings, Kroger etc... All positions are for recent grads. Still no job offer from any. I'm giving up hope; I feel like a failure, I feel ashamed that I can't find a job that matches my degree. I'm currently employed now working in retail full time. I want so much from life, but it seems like my world is limited. I get stressed each day I think about my situation. I'm 23 still living at home, and don't make enough to move out on my own. Any Advice? I feel like giving up on job searches, I’m losing hope. I'm from Michigan.
welcome to the rejection phase man, it happens. youve only just commenced, you may have long a road in front of you, but the interview process is a learning process. im a full time professional and do exactly what i went to school for, dont give up...keep on trying. try and try again...youll get a bite sooner rather than later. good luck

Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM

227 posts, read 745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
welcome to the rejection phase man, it happens. youve only just commenced, you may have long a road in front of you, but the interview process is a learning process. im a full time professional and do exactly what i went to school for, dont give up...keep on trying. try and try again...youll get a bite sooner rather than later. good luck

Thanks, I'll keep trying its difficult to interview with a company for 5 months only to be rejected. Also I understand competition is tough. I just want to be successful, I try each day to stay positive. I have to admit at time I get depressed. So what did you go to school for?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM

227 posts, read 745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if this was addressed.

Those are all great companies to have interviewed with. Following a 'no offer,' did you go back and ask any of them why they opted to go with another candidate / what you could have done differently? Not all will answer, but those who do might provide helpful feedback.
Thanks, I have not done this, but I will ask my last major interview company tomorrow, I will email them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment