Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM

227 posts, read 745,563 times

Advertisements

I graduated from college back in June of 2013 with my B.A degree in Management, and a minor in marketing. I have had about 9 interviews, and three onsite interviews and 1 job offer ( internship). I have interviewed with companies such as: AT&T( headquarters), Geico, Collective brands, Supervalu, Sears Holdings, Kroger etc... All positions are for recent grads. Still no job offer from any. I'm giving up hope; I feel like a failure, I feel ashamed that I can't find a job that matches my degree. I'm currently employed now working in retail full time. I want so much from life, but it seems like my world is limited. I get stressed each day I think about my situation. I'm 23 still living at home, and don't make enough to move out on my own. Any Advice? I feel like giving up on job searches, I’m losing hope. I'm from Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:00 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
What part of Michigan? I've got friends over there in the same boat. Have you tried retail? Many companies offer retail management trainee positions for recent grads. Might be lower paying that what you were hoping for, but at least it offers related experience, which I suspect is what you need. One of my friends graduated from Wayne State with a business management degree. He had absolutely no experience and was forced to work in fast food, of all industries. Hopefully it's a shift leader type position.

Keep trying, but don't be afraid to take something a little less desirable. Less competition I'm sure. Have you thought about moving? I left the state in 2010, and have no regrets. Michigan get's hit by these nasty recessions every decade it seems.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What part of Michigan? I've got friends over there in the same boat. Have you tried retail? Many companies offer retail management trainee positions for recent grads. Might be lower paying that what you were hoping for, but at least it offers related experience, which I suspect is what you need. One of my friends graduated from Wayne State with a business management degree. He had absolutely no experience and was forced to work in fast food, of all industries. Hopefully it's a shift leader type position.

Keep trying, but don't be afraid to take something a little less desirable. Less competition I'm sure. Have you thought about moving? I left the state in 2010, and have no regrets. Michigan get's hit by these nasty recessions every decade it seems.
Yes, I'm applying to retail management trainee programs. I live in Grand Blanc Michigan. Its difficult to find job in Michigan besides automotive. So what made you leave?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
You graduated in June. It's Oct. It's only been 4 months.

Did you not know that it can take close to a year (if not longer) to find a job? I'm not saying that to be mean and I know how frustrating it is to find a job. You just have to change your expectations and get out there and hustle.

How many jobs are you apply for every week? Are you looking nationally? Have you asked all of your employed friends and family to look at their company's job postings and give you the name and contact info of the hiring manager or recruiters?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You graduated in June. It's Oct. It's only been 4 months.

Did you not know that it can take close to a year (if not longer) to find a job? I'm not saying that to be mean and I know how frustrating it is to find a job. You just have to change your expectations and get out there and hustle.

How many jobs are you apply for every week? Are you looking nationally? Have you asked all of your employed friends and family to look at their company's job postings and give you the name and contact info of the hiring manager or recruiters?

I'm applying to about 20 jobs a weeks. about 98% of the job I apply to are in the state of Michigan. Whats the best way to search for national jobs?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 PM

143 posts, read 357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I graduated from college back in June of 2013 with my B.A degree in Management, and a minor in marketing. I have had about 9 interviews, and three onsite interviews and 1 job offer ( internship). I have interviewed with companies such as: AT&T( headquarters), Geico, Collective brands, Supervalu, Sears Holdings, Kroger etc... All positions are for recent grads. Still no job offer from any. I'm giving up hope; I feel like a failure, I feel ashamed that I can't find a job that matches my degree. I'm currently employed now working in retail full time. I want so much from life, but it seems like my world is limited. I get stressed each day I think about my situation. I'm 23 still living at home, and don't make enough to move out on my own. Any Advice? I feel like giving up on job searches, I’m losing hope. I'm from Michigan.
I also graduated this year and I'm familiar with how you feel. It's tough, you're not the only one. Just don't give up, ya know? I know that's not some gem of wisdom, but it's the truth. If you give up then of course you aren't going to get anywhere.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:44 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm applying to retail management trainee programs. I live in Grand Blanc Michigan. Its difficult to find job in Michigan besides automotive. So what made you leave?
Are there any management trainee positions available in the automotive sector? The big three are always offering internships for college grads, but those are usually centered in the immediate Detroit metro or proper areas.

I left for the same reason most young people have left, and will continue to leave. Few opportunities for young folks. They all want experience for an entry level wage. I worked for one of the largest GM suppliers before being laid off. I bounced around a bit, but nothing was stable. Found better luck elsewhere.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
I also graduated this year and I'm familiar with how you feel. It's tough, you're not the only one. Just don't give up, ya know? I know that's not some gem of wisdom, but it's the truth. If you give up then of course you aren't going to get anywhere.

Are you currently employed?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Are there any management trainee positions available in the automotive sector? The big three are always offering internships for college grads, but those are usually centered in the immediate Detroit metro or proper areas.

I left for the same reason most young people have left, and will continue to leave. Few opportunities for young folks. They all want experience for an entry level wage. I worked for one of the largest GM suppliers before being laid off. I bounced around a bit, but nothing was stable. Found better luck elsewhere.

Yes, I agree most jobs want experience, something I don't have. I'm going to start applying for jobs out of state.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
I'm applying to about 20 jobs a weeks. about 98% of the job I apply to are in the state of Michigan. Whats the best way to search for national jobs?
Discipline yourself to apply to a minimum of 50-100 jobs per week. Look at any industry that uses the skills you learned in all of your business classes. You have enough skills for entry level management, accounting, finance, etc. This may sound like a lot but it will force you to become creative to find ways that you can fit instead of looking at ways you don't fit.

Create a core list of target companies and visit their websites daily to look for new job postings. Some companies will stop collecting resumes after a certain number are received or a certain number of days have past. You want to get yours in as fast as possible just in case. Of course, you need to seed your resume with the correct keywords taken from the job ad.

Make a list of all your family and friends who live out of town. Contact them, tell them you are thinking about moving to XYZ city. Tell them you are looking for a job in their area and ask them if it would be possible to stay with them for a month or two until you get 2-3 paychecks under your belt should you find a job. If they say yes, then start using their address on your resume for all of the jobs you apply for in that specific city. It's not lying since that will be your address should you get the job.

Because you may get called to interview, start your search in cities that you can drive to (within a 12 hour or so drive time). If you get a call for an interview and they want you to come in the next day, say you are currently out of town (the truth) but that you can interview on XYZ date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment