Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:57 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but many employers' career websites have separate sections for "new graduates," but the timeframe for being eligible for new graduate status is usually a year. After that year is up, you go into the "experienced" pool, whether or not you are experienced. You also need to be thinking about relocation to healthier areas. That's what I did before I had to come back to TN for personal reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, you are definitely not alone. My daughter graduated in May and is working in a bank, totally unrelated to either of her degrees. She hopes to go to grad school, but this is paying the bills right now.

Don't give up, and remember, this experience itself is worth something. Good luck.
Exactly. The first three words are most important - don't give up.

If you keep fighting for a position of your caliber, you'll get it. It took me two years, but I'm finally in a role where all of my previous experiences - however random - somehow add up. It's a great feeling. On the flip-side, I have many friends with Bachelor's/Master's that gave up at some point in their search and are still waiting tables and the like. They're completely burnt out and have stopped applying for "real" jobs altogether.

Whatever you do, don't give up. When a door finally opens for you, you'll move up from there. If you relinquish your potential for a career to a low-skill hourly job, the FT gig isn't going to come knocking on your door.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM

227 posts, read 745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Exactly. The first three words are most important - don't give up.

If you keep fighting for a position of your caliber, you'll get it. It took me two years, but I'm finally in a role where all of my previous experiences - however random - somehow add up. It's a great feeling. On the flip-side, I have many friends with Bachelor's/Master's that gave up at some point in their search and are still waiting tables and the like. They're completely burnt out and have stopped applying for "real" jobs altogether.

Whatever you do, don't give up. When a door finally opens for you, you'll move up from there. If you relinquish your potential for a career to a low-skill hourly job, the FT gig isn't going to come knocking on your door.

Thanks, I'm not going to give up I just have to understand its going to take time.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,802 times
Get a Life/Health Insurance license along with a series 65 securities license and work at financial institutions. One thing about many professional licenses is most are transferable state to state so mobility isn't a major issue. Make your own job if need be.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 AM

Thanks, for the advice everyone. My last interview rejection really stressed me out, the first interview started in may, and my last was in october. After months of waiting between interviews the company sends me an automated rejection letter. That really ruined my weekend. I'm going to stay positive, and keep applying to jobs. I also have an interview today with nestle purina for an entry level position......

Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Thanks, I'm not going to give up I just have to understand its going to take time.
Exactly you must keep going. The fact of the matter is, not everyone is going to get that ideal entry level job right after graduation, that's just life.

You may have to start off in a field totally unrelated to your major, you have to work for free and you may have to take a retail/minimum wage work and yes believe me I know that no college grad wants to do retail post graduation. However if it comes down to working the register at Stop and Shop, shop rite or whatever that doesn't mean you stop looking for "real" work, it does not mean you give up on the ideal job. It simply means that you are working the retail/fast food to make money in the interim, whilst still looking for the "real" job on your day off, after work etc...

OP I sincerely hope you do find the work, the type of job you are aiming for. But do not fall into the trap of being jobless for months holding out for that perfect, ideal entry level job. Something is better than nothing. Also you are never to proud to hit up family/friends for connections, work.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Exactly you must keep going. The fact of the matter is, not everyone is going to get that ideal entry level job right after graduation, that's just life.

You may have to start off in a field totally unrelated to your major, you have to work for free and you may have to take a retail/minimum wage work and yes believe me I know that no college grad wants to do retail post graduation. However if it comes down to working the register at Stop and Shop, shop rite or whatever that doesn't mean you stop looking for "real" work, it does not mean you give up on the ideal job. It simply means that you are working the retail/fast food to make money in the interim, whilst still looking for the "real" job on your day off, after work etc...

OP I sincerely hope you do find the work, the type of job you are aiming for. But do not fall into the trap of being jobless for months holding out for that perfect, ideal entry level job. Something is better than nothing. Also you are never to proud to hit up family/friends for connections, work.
Thanks...Good Advice.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,598 times
If you want to work in an office environment, think of places that are office environments but might not be your typical office environment, like becoming a leasing agent for a local apartment complex. If you have no experience in an office, realize your degree doesn't mean that you don't have to start at the bottom, but look into call center agent positions/file clerk positions/administrative assistant positions where you will at least gain experience in an office environment.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Discipline yourself to apply to a minimum of 50-100 jobs per week. Look at any industry that uses the skills you learned in all of your business classes. You have enough skills for entry level management, accounting, finance, etc. This may sound like a lot but it will force you to become creative to find ways that you can fit instead of looking at ways you don't fit.

Create a core list of target companies and visit their websites daily to look for new job postings. Some companies will stop collecting resumes after a certain number are received or a certain number of days have past. You want to get yours in as fast as possible just in case. Of course, you need to seed your resume with the correct keywords taken from the job ad.

Make a list of all your family and friends who live out of town. Contact them, tell them you are thinking about moving to XYZ city. Tell them you are looking for a job in their area and ask them if it would be possible to stay with them for a month or two until you get 2-3 paychecks under your belt should you find a job. If they say yes, then start using their address on your resume for all of the jobs you apply for in that specific city. It's not lying since that will be your address should you get the job.

Because you may get called to interview, start your search in cities that you can drive to (within a 12 hour or so drive time). If you get a call for an interview and they want you to come in the next day, say you are currently out of town (the truth) but that you can interview on XYZ date.
+1. This is very sound, logical advice, except (in my opinion) applyig to 50-100 jobs/week. That only allows 1/2 to 1 hour per application...not nearly enough for a high-quality application. Instead, I would still send out about 20 good applications per week but focus on looking for jobs in states that have a much lower unemployment rate that you think you can tolerate living in. Markets that have a surplus of jobs (i.e. Houston, Dallas, North Dakota) are more willing to hire people from out of state.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Thanks, for the advice everyone. My last interview rejection really stressed me out, the first interview started in may, and my last was in october. After months of waiting between interviews the company sends me an automated rejection letter. That really ruined my weekend. I'm going to stay positive, and keep applying to jobs. I also have an interview today with nestle purina for an entry level position......
Even that will help you develop a thick skin. The next one will be easier to swallow...but eventually, you will NOT be rejected! Persistence.

Sidebar, I didn't realize there was a "Nestle Purina". Chocolate and dog food? Doesn't sound right together. But good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment