Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 PM

227 posts, read 745,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
It took me almost 3 years to find a "real" job. I would recommend that you get out of the retail industry unless you want to work retail all your life. Go be a office temp, at least you get professional office work experience.

I'm trying I really want an office job, I'm sick of retail, the only reason I'm still in retail is because it pays the bills. I'm trying really hard to switch industries. I sick of the automated rejection letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
The most important thing in this type of situation is not to let yourself get depressed or hopeless- because that is just going to make the whole process 10x worse.

Do whatever you need to do to keep your mood up while you persist in reaching your goal. Self-help books, meditation, exercise, listen to positive thinking podcasts, do yoga- whatever it takes to not get demoralized.

Good luck!!!
Thanks! I agree at times I feel myself getting depressed, and at times I feel like a failure. To me it seems like everyone is successful but me. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
What type of retail are you in? If it is a chain go to their website and check out the jobs in other areas. I know people that moved up in retail after starting at the bottom and then made the big bucks. Some Walmart managers started as cashiers/ stockers. Do you realize how much a Walmart store manager makes?
I currently work for Wal-Mart. I have interviewed with Home Office, but the recruiter thought I lived in the Arkansas area ( company headquarters).

Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM

30 posts, read 41,549 times
A large percentage of students do not get jobs related to the degree they earned so don't feel bad. That's life. There are only so many job openings in any field and that holds true in good times and bad. That doesn't mean you wasted your time because your knowledge will always be valuable and a degree is yours forever. The skills you learned can carry over into other fields.

Try to widen your search efforts. Create Google job alerts so that you are alerted when a job that suits your skills is posted on the Internet. Also, try to save your money so you can relocate if you see a suitable job in another state. You might even consider moving to a state where the job market is better to increase the odds in your favor. Try to network, touch base with your college job office, and don't look for jobs in just one place. You might even want to consider temping to get your foot in the door of a company you want to work at.

Don't give up. In this economy it can take at least a year to find a job. Aim to submit at least 200 resumes a month but don't just submit them to random jobs. Select jobs that you really want and personalize your cover letters so they don't look cookie cutter. You might also want to have someone give you feedback on your resume to make sure that your resume isn't holding you back.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, don't give up hope. My first job right out of college was an 'executive secretary'. Which basically meant a lot of fetching and carrying; serving the big bankers coffee and running to get their cigarettes from the store across the street.

Not exactly what I went to school for. I spent . . maybe 6 months there and all the while applying and looking for different jobs.

My next job was . . . . better but I still had a lot of secretarial duties that I didn't think I'd have with my college degree. Ahhh, the ups and downs of being a really fast typist! Anyway, it helped me get my foot in the door of my present industry.

3 years of doing jobs that I probably could have had without a degree.

Don't give up.
I wont give up. I'm going to keep pushing on. So what did you go to school for?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Thanks, I have not done this, but I will ask my last major interview company tomorrow, I will email them.
Awesome. Good luck! Also, if you still have contact info for people you interviewed with (e.g. potential managers/colleagues), reach out to them, too. You can never get too much advice - plus, it will help you paint a clearer picture and knock out the one-off opinions which could hurt rather than help.

Keep on thinking how to break in, and you won't have time to think about "giving up hope." Go get 'em!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Awesome. Good luck! Also, if you still have contact info for people you interviewed with (e.g. potential managers/colleagues), reach out to them, too. You can never get too much advice - plus, it will help you paint a clearer picture and knock out the one-off opinions which could hurt rather than help.

Keep on thinking how to break in, and you won't have time to think about "giving up hope." Go get 'em!
Thanks!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times
Quote:
I currently work for Wal-Mart. I have interviewed with Home Office, but the recruiter thought I lived in the Arkansas area ( company headquarters).
So why don't you move? Spend a few years there and then move back. You need to jump at opportunities as they come.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,598 times
Bear in mind - a company that you interview with does not have to give you any feedback or any help.

I highly suggest finding an alumni from your college who is in the field that you want to be in to mentor you to help give you feedback on your resume, cover letters, interview pointers.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Thanks! I agree at times I feel myself getting depressed, and at times I feel like a failure. To me it seems like everyone is successful but me. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.
No, you are definitely not alone. My daughter graduated in May and is working in a bank, totally unrelated to either of her degrees. She hopes to go to grad school, but this is paying the bills right now.

Don't give up, and remember, this experience itself is worth something. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment