Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
True but there are exceptions to everything.

My sister is a supervisor for a large factory that makes light bulbs. She had to fire a woman recently on orders from her boss. Problem? The woman had severe Bipolar. She simply refused to take her medication, came to work and said things like "...I wanna bust you in the f*cking mouth !!" "..I wish I had a gun with me and I would kill everyone !!".

My sister's boss got wind of the concerns from the other employees and my sister and her boss talked to this woman about the situation. They told her if she wanted to continue to work there, she has to control her anger and take her meds. The woman refused to correct the situation and she is out of a job.

Could she sue because her firing was due to her disabilty? Maybe but in this case, I doubt she would win.
I agree with the firing of the employee in question but WHY did your sister have to do it "on orders from her boss"? Is her boss a chicken sh*t that cannot do his own dirty deeds? I hate bosses like that! I have even heard of bosses that tell subordinates to fire people while they are on vacation or call them on the phone and fire them. Such people are spineless jerkoffs in my view. If I was a boss and had an employee I could not work with anymore, I would call the employee in MYSELF and let him or her go MYSELF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:02 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Where are you located? AZ and Washington State are at will states. I lived in this setting all my life. It gives people the right to resign at any time and gives employers the right to terminate at any time. I never been faced with this situation - being let go or terminated.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,759 times
West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware and I believe Pennsylvania are at will states.

Actually the only states I have heard that aren't are the New England states and New York but I could be very wrong about it.

Canada I heard has something similar.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
forgot to add something earlier...

If I am not mistaken, its against federal anti-discrimination laws to discrimate based on marriage and/or with children. Back in the 1940s and 1950s, it was common to see help wanted ads with "only married men need apply" attached to it. Today such practice is illegal.

However today most companies when it comes to hiring/firing, marriage isn't a factor however when it comes to senority among the staff it really is. Many businesses will NOT put someone who is married and/or with children on the "night shift".

The company I used to work for ( was there for 24 years ), every year I had to work on hoilidays including Christmas and Thanksgiving. Everytime I tried to get those days off I was denied becuase I wasn't married ( they told me this ), even though I had more senority than just about everyone there as far as time on job went, but because I wasn't married, that flew out the window. The company told me they have to give married folks first choice when it comes to getting time off because they are "family friendly".

Way around anything.
why did you stay there so long?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware and I believe Pennsylvania are at will states.

Actually the only states I have heard that aren't are the New England states and New York but I could be very wrong about it.

NJ is as well an "at will" state.

Many people confuse *at will* with *right to work states*
2 entirely different things

Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,759 times
Default Not Only "At Will" but Right of Disclosure

Quote:

[quote=Targeted in MN]: Add New Hampshire and Minnesota to the list. AND As of 2006, Minnesota now permits an employer to disclose ANY detail of a current or former employees record (to a prospective employer) without fear of reprisal. I am a victim of this change in law and it has prevented me from obtaining any employment in the past year. I called the MN Department of Labor and Industry who told me have no recourse but to sue the employer for Defamation.

So with this listing we've come up with 11 "at will" states. Is these a site where we can get a definitive listing?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
I don't even know why states even declare themselves as "at will employment" states. Any person can leave a job anytime they feel like going out the door and any employer can let you go at the drop of a hat (unless you are in a union). The only thing that you have any protection from in an "at will employment" state is if they fire you in an act of retaliation.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Where are you located? AZ and Washington State are at will states. I lived in this setting all my life. It gives people the right to resign at any time and gives employers the right to terminate at any time. I never been faced with this situation - being let go or terminated.

ooh this is a great resurrected topic!

In the at will states, does that mean that you don't have to give 2 weeks notice when you resign?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
ooh this is a great resurrected topic!

In the at will states, does that mean that you don't have to give 2 weeks notice when you resign?
No, you don't.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Tennessee is for sure.

Illinois is too. Just looked it up.

the thing that gets me is, sure, in an "at will" state, you can resign any time you want, but if you don't give an employer the standard 2 week notice, that pretty much gives them the ability to bad mouth you to any perspective employer... but by god, they can let you go whenever they feel like it with no notice whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment