Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times

Advertisements

I am sure Bosses have the same problem. One reason union are losing ground is their attitude towards having a boss from my experience. Even the workers have gotten tired of working under union bosses that are corrupt. I know I did before I finished college. I got to think of it as the union good ole boy system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:12 PM

799 posts, read 2,171,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am sure Bosses have the same problem. One reason union are losing ground is their attitude towards having a boss from my experience. Even the workers have gotten tired of working under union bosses that are corrupt. I know I did before I finished college. I got to think of it as the union good ole boy system.
The good ole boy system is replaced by the "you must know someone" connection system. We have all seen really inept people make it to the top. So it's not the problem with unions, it's a problem with people, and their values, morals, and priorities.

A lot of us wouldn't be able to live with ourselves if we were rotten or false, but many can. Companies reward them for doing this and taking the leaps that we won't.

Unions can protect people, but it seems no one wants them, but things aren't better for working people, blue or white collar, in anyway.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,015,209 times
Florida is an "at will" state. Basically, employers don't necessarily have to go through proper protocol (ie: verbal, than written warnings). If they want you gone, they can pretty much call you into their office any time, and fire you on the spot without due cause.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM

630 posts, read 2,228,698 times
All states are employment at will states, meaning that they all uphold the Doctrine to some degree. To what degree regarding employers' rights to discharge employees, varies by state.

Montana is unique in the degree that it upholds employment at will only when employees are working during a probationary period. Outside of that, employers in Montana must have good cause to discharge employees.

For the rest of the states, the degree at which they uphold the Doctrine and what constitutes good cause under it, depends on the exceptions they recognize.

All states hold the doctrine, some hold it as statutory and others as common-law.

This link will give you more information:

Employment At Will States | At Will Employment States

Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,554,784 times
Dynimagelv, while I disagree with you on the ACLU (most of the time, anyway) you're spot-on about "at-will" employment! Give your company 100% and "at-will" won't make any difference to you or the company. The nice thing about "at-will" is that YOU can leave for greener pastures if you so desire without any problems, instead of being bound by some contract. Not going to re-hash the union-vs-non-union thing; I believe they are a mixed blessing. I'm not worried about my employment status, I have no doubt that I'd be one of the last employees they'd let go. I'm not bragging; I just know that I give my employer 100% and the folks in the office know that.

I recently interviewed for a union job. I would've made a LOT more money than I do now. But the other "conditions of employment" were just not right for what I want out of a job at my stage in life. It would've been a different matter had I been 25 years younger...

Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,457,199 times
Public policy exceptions

U.S. states with a public policy exception. Forty-two U.S. states and the District of Columbia recognize public policy as an exception to the at-will rule. Under the public policy exception, an employer may not fire an employee if it would violate the state's public policy or a state or federal statute.

42 states have a public policy exception, thus 8 states do not. Those 8 states are:
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Maine
Nebraska
New York
Rhode Island
The District of Columbia also has a public policy exception.[

Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,934,126 times
mkfarnum got to it before me! But every state is an employment-at-will state, the only differences among states is the kinds of exception to at-will that are allowed. But in every state, firing someone for an illlegal discriminatory reason is, well, illegal and not an acceptable exception to at-will.

I've had this page bookmarked forever.
I think it's also where mkfarnum got the above info:
At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The good thing about the info there is that it all has to have references or it gets cut or flagged.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,457,199 times
Michigan was talking about becoming a "Right To Work" state, which is not much different than the "Guest Workers Program". All it does is draw foreigners to the state to work even though there are plenty of people in that state that's more than willing and able to work.
The unemployment rate for Michigan has skyrocketed.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,934,126 times
Actually "right to work" is a good thing. It means you can't be forced to join a union, even in a predominately unionized setting. Here in PA (a non right to work state) teachers and others who choose to not join a union still have to pay all the dues even though they are not members.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,495 times
well add georgia to the list.my people please, please, do your research. listen, i am here in ga. ga is a reublican state, there nothing here for adults to do, and people mostly migrate downtown for any activity, the beach (not man made) is over 4hrs away. I am from the north and I am leaving to go back to the north. but dont take my word for it, see for yourself.........whatuwanttoknow4@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment