Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 AM

1,166 posts, read 878,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, aren't you an auto mechanic? The expectations around turnover and having multiple jobs over a short period of time are COMPLETELY different than expectations around white collar work.
I have no experience in white collar jobs, just as you likely have none with blue collar work, or at least automotive work.

What’s the point you’re trying to make? I’d say that people who don’t have a clue putting unreasonable time constraints on you is a problem in every industry, white collar or blue. Luckily the place I work now actually has management that knows what they’re doing and my expected time to be done is reasonable. But the former is what happens when you get people that only know management skills and put them in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
OP, I agree with you about leaving if you're unhappy, but I'd never voluntarily do it without an offer lined up elsewhere (which is what you're suggesting, unless I'm misunderstanding your post). Get the offer from the next company, then take your stand against the current one.
Except for my first job, I’ve quit every other job without another lined up. On my fourth job now, and I don’t regret doing it.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP you're linking two things that are not mutually exclusive.

1) Each situation, employer, and employee is different.

2)Telling a person to stop whining is NOT the same as saying don't do something to change your situation.

So telling a person to "Stop whining" or "Just deal with it" does not mean the person doesn't have the power to change the situation.

As a matter of fact I think most posts here always point out that a person IS NOT shackled to a job, and point out that the person actually DOES have the power/ability to leave if they chose to. Most of the time it's just a matter of how and when a person leaves. Sometimes depending on the situation, rarely, a person IS advised to quit. (Depending on their financial situation and family obligations, of course.)

In one of my previous threads a user posted a comment that I take to heart. Can’t remember it exactly but I’ll paraphrase:

If I got home from work unhappy 3 days in a row, I need to quit.

Even in my current job I have a bad day every once in a while. But at my previous two shops nearly everyday was a bad day and I was miserable.

And some users on here basically called me a crybaby, told me to suck it up and deal with it, and that I was foolish for quitting my job and not just bending over and taking whatever the boss dishes out. I’m glad I didn’t listen to those idiots and I get to have the last laugh now.

I’m making more money than I ever have, have the most freedom at a job I’ve ever had, don’t have to work weekends anymore, work less hours per week and still earn more. All because I was willing to stand up for myself and not deal with other people’s BS.

If I can do it, so can everybody else. Don’t be scared to take that leap, regardless of what everyone else says.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,889,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I have no experience in white collar jobs, just as you likely have none with blue collar work, or at least automotive work.

What’s the point you’re trying to make? I’d say that people who don’t have a clue putting unreasonable time constraints on you is a problem in every industry, white collar or blue. Luckily the place I work now actually has management that knows what they’re doing and my expected time to be done is reasonable. But the former is what happens when you get people that only know management skills and put them in charge.
I think what this poster is saying is that a mechanic position is more linearly transferable to other employers than many white collar jobs and as you've boasted in previous posts you're able to get work on the side too.

Mechanic work is also more transitional than office jobs similar to restaurant and car sales. Job-hopping is much more common and not unusual to see where white collar it would negatively effect future employment.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:

My point is I would be foolish to leave a six figure job with bonus and full benefits on a whim because someone made me mad. Just walking out and quitting is silly.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,296,017 times
Quote:
My point is I would be foolish to leave a six figure job with bonus and full benefits on a whim because someone made me mad. Just walking out and quitting is silly.
I left a 6-figure job with benefits when I was "offered" a substantial pay cut when the company was struggling. I went out on my own and never looked back, and will never have a boss again.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Never said anything about it being “on a whim”. I’m talking if things are building up and you can’t take it anymore, you need to have the guts to walk away and not just lay down and take it because “the boss is the boss” or whatever other nonsense reason you can cite.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:
Never said anything about it being “on a whim”. I’m talking if things are building up and you can’t take it anymore, you need to have the guts to walk away and not just lay down and take it because “the boss is the boss” or whatever other nonsense reason you can cite.
Being able to take it is related to strength. Instead of "guts to walk away, " what about having strategic intelligence?

Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM

6,459 posts, read 9,834,559 times
Quote:

Sort of reminds me about the mad kid taking his ball and playing elsewhere lol

I would never quit a job like that, I have more pride in myself and work ethics.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM

34,116 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
I don’t believe in “suck it up”...
Really? How long have you been doing exactly that? Seems like years to me.

Quote:
I believe in standing up for yourself and being willing to walk away...
Really? When will you start?

Quote:
Seriously though, are there no valid complaints ever?
Valid complaints resolve. Whining never does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment