Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I left a 6-figure job with benefits when I was "offered" a substantial pay cut when the company was struggling. I went out on my own and never looked back, and will never have a boss again.
Not the scenario posed by the OP. I don't mind having a boss. It's a means to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 AM

50,945 posts, read 36,646,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
You sound like my old boss. Not willing to hear anyone out and quick to dismiss any complaint, valid or not as mere whining.

And if you were my boss, I’d do the same thing I did to him: tell you to pound salt and leave. I don’t have to put up with a dismissive attitude from anyone, nor will I. Even if you don’t agree, I’ll respect you if you’ll hear me out. But to just dismiss me offhand like that, nope, not dealing with it. I’ll go work for someone who respects me, like where I work now.

I don’t believe in “suck it up”, I believe in standing up for yourself and being willing to walk away if it means sticking to your principles.

Seriously though, are there no valid complaints ever? Or is it all just whining?
You sound a lot like my brother. Ironically he was an auto mechanic too. He had a bad attitude too. Now he’s in his 60s and he lives in a shoebox size apartment in a low income senior building.

I have left jobs that I didn’t feel treated me fairly before in the past too. But I didn’t have the attitude of a chip on my shoulder like it sounds in your posts. And never would I tell a boss to go pound salt. There’s no reason to do that to find another job. I don’t walk out with no notice. There’s not a single ex employer I’ve had that wouldn’t hire me back and I’m proud of that. I don’t think anyone has told anyone that they should just stay at a job they don’t like, I think it’s more your attitude that garnered the responses you’ve gotten. There is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. And a big difference between being assertive and being aggressive.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 AM

6,834 posts, read 11,576,146 times
In the original post you said “I'm willing to walk out and quit over it at a moments notice.“ I think what most of us are saying is we do not have the luxury to say KMA and just leave, due to financial/family obligations. But certainly if things are intolerable at work, no one should feel they have to work there forever. Just have a new job lined up before you leave. But if a person is in a bad atmosphere, and they aren’t willing to change jobs, then yes, they don’t have any room to whine.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM

1,166 posts, read 878,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Really? How long have you been doing exactly that? Seems like years to me.

Really? When will you start?

Valid complaints resolve. Whining never does.
I quit my job that originally inspired me to make this account well over 2 years ago now. I’m at a shop where the owner respects me, lets me do things my way, and doesn’t place unreasonable time expectations on me. Not to mention they pay me way more than any other shop I’ve worked in. AND I got here because I wasn’t scared to walk out of my previous bad job.

Point of my thread is that NO, you do NOT have to deal with your bosses crap. More people need to be willing to walk when the time comes. Maybe then employers will change their tune if nobody will work for them. I want to inspire people to stand up and not take crap from anyone, and don’t listen to the naysayers that tell you to just deal with it.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM

1,166 posts, read 878,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You sound a lot like my brother. Ironically he was an auto mechanic too. He had a bad attitude too. Now he’s in his 60s and he lives in a shoebox size apartment in a low income senior building.

I have left jobs that I didn’t feel treated me fairly before in the past too. But I didn’t have the attitude of a chip on my shoulder like it sounds in your posts. And never would I tell a boss to go pound salt. There’s no reason to do that to find another job. I don’t walk out with no notice. There’s not a single ex employer I’ve had that wouldn’t hire me back and I’m proud of that. I don’t think anyone has told anyone that they should just stay at a job they don’t like, I think it’s more your attitude that garnered the responses you’ve gotten. There is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. And a big difference between being assertive and being aggressive.
What’s wrong with both mine and your brothers attitude in your opinion.

Frankly don’t care what my ex employer thinks about me. I wouldn’t go back to work for them if they offered me double what I make now because of how they treat people. And I’m not going to play fairly if they won’t, I’ll leave you high and dry when you need me the most because you’re a POS and that’s what you deserve.

This whole thing about “having a chip on your shoulder” seems to get dished out to anyone with an opinion contrary to what’s “accepted” or “normal”. Because it’s not normal for people to stand up for themselves, most are sheep.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,971,187 times
There's a way to air your grievances without walking out. If you do walk out have a better job waiting and leave on amicable terms. I don't know what job the OP has that allows him to continually leave on bad terms and get a better new job. But people who have done that are usually unemployed for some time to come.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:

Frankly don’t care what my ex employer thinks about me. I wouldn’t go back to work for them if they offered me double what I make now because of how they treat people. And I’m not going to play fairly if they won’t, I’ll leave you high and dry when you need me the most because you’re a POS and that’s what you deserve.

This whole thing about “having a chip on your shoulder” seems to get dished out to anyone with an opinion contrary to what’s “accepted” or “normal”. Because it’s not normal for people to stand up for themselves, most are sheep.
I work for the money. Nothing happens at work that would cause me to need to "stand up for myself. "

By the way, how is walking out an act of standing up?

Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:
Seriously though, are there no valid complaints ever? Or is it all just whining?
Nope.

We all need to pick ourselves up by the bootstraps stop being sensitive snowflakes and go dig ditches for below minimum wage in 100F weather with a smile and feel blessed by the lord we have any gainful employment

Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
There are some things that are going to be the same about anywhere you go. In any large environment, there will always be people that you don't particularly care for. There's always going to be some level of drama. Some of that is inevitable.

With that said, virtually everywhere also has unique, specific problems.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:

Suck it up, cry in a pillow every night (just like you-know-who on this forum) and come in the next day with a cheerful smile and say "buck up buddy!" on every other post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment