Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 01:32 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh okay, so it only depends on the severity of the lie then, got it. Do you hand out a survey to each potential friend/colleague/family member then to assess the degree to which they lie? If not, how do you determine who's a liar/cheater then? Just a hunch or something else?

George Santos was voted into Congress, somehow you'd have known he was a liar before all the lies came to surface?
Literally when they tell you that they are. George Santos got caught up in many of his lies. The individual referenced in the OP literally told me that he lied by showing me what he did.

Why is this so complicated to you? Where did Maddie, or anyone else for that matter, specify that they are making these determinations before even knowing the person? People who compulsively lie or cheat will, most of the time, eventually be found out through their behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 02:44 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Turns out your acquaintance was simply a bit ahead of the curve.

Maybe this will help cut down on stuff like this:

Nearly half of US companies plan to ax Bachelor's degree requirements - after Walmart, Accenture and IBM led the charge

Old 11-30-2023, 02:58 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Nearly half of US companies plan to ax Bachelor's degree requirements - after Walmart, Accenture and IBM led the charge
Since they wont need degrees for those jobs , they can lower the pay rate too because the supply of workforce will get bigger. Money saving measure.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
What I stated was taken out of context. What I meant was I don't associate with lying and cheating people -"even if they don't get hired for the job." Just the fact that this person was willing to lie and cheat in this situation would be enough. Would it be okay for this person to lie even if he didn't get the job?
Who are you asking this to? Seems like several posters think that lying is just part of the game and there's nothing to see here.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Lying about having a degree isn't ahead of the curve and doesn't demonstrate what you think it does.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Since they wont need degrees for those jobs , they can lower the pay rate too because the supply of workforce will get bigger. Money saving measure.
They can eliminate the degree requirements and lower the pay bands, but will still likely prefer the degreed candidate over the non-degreed candidate just because it's another credential/check box.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:18 PM

3,263 posts, read 1,742,217 times
Groucho Marx said it best "Time wounds all heels". In other words, what goes around, comes around,

Old 12-01-2023, 06:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 877,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I think most people understand that and I think most people would tend to agree with that.

Most reasonable people understand what you and Maddie meant. There are others who like to argue for no reason and those eventually wind up on my Ignore List here. Life is too short to deal with consistently combative people.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:25 AM

303 posts, read 237,403 times
Lying is bad. Lying on a resume is bad.

Now that is out of the way....an earlier poster mentioned entire HR "scene" is bad. Deception on the part of both parties.

Two wrongs do not make a right. (Source: Our parents.)

Arrested people for murder in Vietnam is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500. (Source: Apocalypse Now)

But getting super twisted about "I can't believe someone lied on their resume" is just not worth the bandwidth. Applicants lie, employers lie, HR lies, etc etc etc.

Maybe the guy who falsified his college diploma will get caught. Maybe he'll get promoted. Maybe he'll choke on a piece of beef jerky from 7-11.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:00 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Literally when they tell you that they are. George Santos got caught up in many of his lies. The individual referenced in the OP literally told me that he lied by showing me what he did.

Why is this so complicated to you? Where did Maddie, or anyone else for that matter, specify that they are making these determinations before even knowing the person? People who compulsively lie or cheat will, most of the time, eventually be found out through their behaviors.
Oh I see so you only disassociate with people who openly tell you they're a liar and/or cheater then. Got it. I would think only close friends would choose to divulge such information as they trust you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment