Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 07:35 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
People in my line of work were slow to adopt Linkedin.
Now that they/we have, frankly, it's a mess. Job titles used to be very cut-and-dried, as did job descriptions, I knew who to hire accordingly. No longer. Job titles have morphed into a word salad, as have job descriptions.
Our HR did that to us. They decided to make things easier on themselves by consolidating job descriptions into generic documents. Supervisors were not involved in the rewrite. After the rewrite, my official job description covered everything from laying concrete to building guided missiles. And contained nothing of what I actually did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 07:48 AM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Our HR did that to us. They decided to make things easier on themselves by consolidating job descriptions into generic documents. Supervisors were not involved in the rewrite. After the rewrite, my official job description covered everything from laying concrete to building guided missiles. And contained nothing of what I actually did.

That's how it was at my last company. All job titles and descriptions were generic templates to fit within a department's career framework. They did very little to explain someone's specific role. Not only that, managers used this to their advantage by assigning "other duties" that fell well outside what the role was initially marketed to the candidate as. This was one of the reasons I wound up moving on. I was hired by one manager to do a specific data analyst role that I was actually interested in. Then after she left, I was inherited by another manager who didn't know enough about the work I was hired to do, so she tried molding me into a generalist/clerical role.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:05 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
LYING About experience in any shape or form is sure to come back and bite you sooner than later, and will be extremely hard to recover from.

Yeah, I can't understand why anyone would want to put themselves in the position of getting a job for which they cannot actually perform the duties. How stressful that would be.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:19 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyb11 View Post
added months onto the start and end dates of a consulting gig he had so it looked like he had no gaps in employment.
Would a lot of big companies terminate someone at a senior manager level or higher for lying on LinkedIn or having discrepancies b/t LinkedIn and the job application?

Padding the length of time you spent at a job or position by a few months is acceptable as far as I'm concerned. By years, not so much.

And no, LinkedIn is social media at the end of the day. Not everyone updates their LI info like they will a resume.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:15 AM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Yeah, I can't understand why anyone would want to put themselves in the position of getting a job for which they cannot actually perform the duties. How stressful that would be.
I don't condone outright lying about drastic gaps in experience, but sometimes you gotta fudge the numbers a little to get the opportunity. If you're smart, you'll learn quickly and be fine. Most of us who've experienced any upwards trajectory have been in this spot before. Also, experience varies but candidates will convey the same messaging to a hiring manager. "I know Excel" will take on different meanings between someone who puts filters on fields and creates tables and someone who is using PowerQuery to join and blend data sources and using nested formulas. I've lost count of how many people who claim to know Excel because they kinda, sorta know what a pivot table does. That's not my definition of knowing Excel, but it is for some.

Don't do this if you're not very bright though, you'll be found out pretty quickly in most cases.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:20 AM

1,854 posts, read 794,015 times
People can get updates if you edit/update your linkedIn page?!

I just recently updated mine a bit because I was given two more additions to my current job. Plus added a new programming language to my job.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
People can get updates if you edit/update your linkedIn page?!

I just recently updated mine a bit because I was given two more additions to my current job. Plus added a new programming language to my job.
There's a small box you have to either select or deselect for this.
I learned to turn mine completely off for any sort of changes after I changed my title some time ago and people thought I got a new job.
I think a lot of people don't know about this.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 794,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
There's a small box you have to either select or deselect for this.
I learned to turn mine completely off for any sort of changes after I changed my title some time ago and people thought I got a new job.
I think a lot of people don't know about this.
okay thanks

Old 03-29-2024, 12:28 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
People can also get notified if you look at their LinkedIn page. Snooping on current/former coworkers isn't so private.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:12 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post

That's how it was at my last company. All job titles and descriptions were generic templates to fit within a department's career framework. They did very little to explain someone's specific role. Not only that, managers used this to their advantage by assigning "other duties" that fell well outside what the role was initially marketed to the candidate as. This was one of the reasons I wound up moving on. I was hired by one manager to do a specific data analyst role that I was actually interested in. Then after she left, I was inherited by another manager who didn't know enough about the work I was hired to do, so she tried molding me into a generalist/clerical role.
Funny you say that. I used to joke my job description needed just one line: Other duties as assigned.
Ultimately led to me retiring when I became eligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment