Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 926 times

Advertisements

Is it a big deal? I noticed over the past year that a few higher ups in my company have edited their LinkedIns a lot. They changed job titles and added months onto previous employment histories where they previously had gaps. I received notifications that they updated their profiles so I assume they have that feature turned on and might not know. What would a company think if people drastically changed their linkedins both as the higher ups did to cover up for employment gaps? Is it true that all that really matters is what is put on the job application?
Edit to add that one higher up extended dates on a position where he was a consultant. That company doesn’t appear to exist any more.

Last edited by Ashleyb11; 03-28-2024 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 06:57 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Lmao! Probably the absolute worst place to lie about experience. Don’t you have people from previous jobs and networks on there who will be quick to spot inaccuracies?

Old 03-28-2024, 07:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Depends, I suppose. I've generalized job titles because some titles used by companies mean absolutely nothing to outside firms, nor is it descriptive of the type of work I did. Lying about years worked at a firm seems pretty sketch and also seems like something that is more easily verifiable.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:55 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Depends, I suppose. I've generalized job titles because some titles used by companies mean absolutely nothing to outside firms, nor is it descriptive of the type of work I did. Lying about years worked at a firm seems pretty sketch and also seems like something that is more easily verifiable.
The job titles I can KIND of understand, as in my field, I have seen Directors of Engineering simply hold the title of Senior Engineer, which in many firms is just tossed around as a fancy title for any engineer who isn’t entry-level, and there is a huge difference between a director or principle and one who is still doing production work. But that should be followed up with a thorough description of job duties that clearly lay out how said worker was indeed in management as opposed to being part of production staff.
That’s not “lying.”
LYING About experience in any shape or form is sure to come back and bite you sooner than later, and will be extremely hard to recover from.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The job titles I can KIND of understand, as in my field, I have seen Directors of Engineering simply hold the title of Senior Engineer, which in many firms is just tossed around as a fancy title for any engineer who isn’t entry-level, and there is a huge difference between a director or principle and one who is still doing production work. But that should be followed up with a thorough description of job duties that clearly lay out how said worker was indeed in management as opposed to being part of production staff.
That’s not “lying.”
LYING About experience in any shape or form is sure to come back and bite you sooner than later, and will be extremely hard to recover from.
Yeah, I'm not talking about calling yourself a director when you were merely a supervisor or IC. I'm talking about when you work for an organization that has a seemingly meaningless job title as it pertains to your role. For instance, when I was with my last company, I was a data and reporting analyst embedded within the legal department. However, the job title was something that made it look like I was a paralegal or law analyst because the job was housed within the legal department's career framework. I did not review contracts or draft legal documents. I developed reports, managed our data platforms, and conducted business intelligence for the department's leadership. I've also worked at companies that had lavish job titles for what were ordinarily IC roles. One company called most of their senior sales folks "VPs".

Old 03-28-2024, 09:05 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Yeah, I'm not talking about calling yourself a director when you were merely a supervisor or IC. I'm talking about when you work for an organization that has a seemingly meaningless job title as it pertains to your role. For instance, when I was with my last company, I was a data and reporting analyst embedded within the legal department. However, the job title was something that made it look like I was a paralegal or law analyst because the job was housed within the legal department's career framework. I did not review contracts or draft legal documents. I developed reports, managed our data platforms, and conducted business intelligence for the department's leadership. I've also worked at companies that had lavish job titles for what were ordinarily IC roles. One company called most of their senior sales folks "VPs".
I understand genericizing a job title because so many places have titles unique to them. Last job I held before retirement was terrible about it. And didn't even make sense internally, never mind to outsiders.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 926 times
Thanks for the input! One of the people that used to be higher up at my company went and added months onto the start and end dates of a consulting gig he had so it looked like he had no gaps in employment. He reached out to me asking me to write a recommendation for him, and I got a notification about him updating the employment dates the next day.

Would a lot of big companies terminate someone at a senior manager level or higher for lying on LinkedIn or having discrepancies b/t LinkedIn and the job application?

Old 03-28-2024, 09:10 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
People in my line of work were slow to adopt Linkedin.
Now that they/we have, frankly, it's a mess. Job titles used to be very cut-and-dried, as did job descriptions, I knew who to hire accordingly. No longer. Job titles have morphed into a word salad, as have job descriptions.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyb11 View Post
Thanks for the input! One of the people that used to be higher up at my company went and added months onto the start and end dates of a consulting gig he had so it looked like he had no gaps in employment. He reached out to me asking me to write a recommendation for him, and I got a notification about him updating the employment dates the next day.

Would a lot of big companies terminate someone at a senior manager level or higher for lying on LinkedIn or having discrepancies b/t LinkedIn and the job application?
Consulting can be so nebulous. I have friends and acquaintances who've formed LLCs just so they can fill in the gaps during periods of unemployment. Sometimes they're consulting during this time and sometimes they are not doing any actual work for clients. I don't have a good answer, because it probably depends. LinkedIn is not exactly a source of truth though. Just as a resume, it's a marketing document, not a legally binding contract between two parties.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:27 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyb11 View Post

And you know all of that first hand? And this "higher up" asked you for a recommendation? It may be time to focus on you instead of hoping that changes on a public profile will get someone terminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment