Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
It is a moniker that has been attached to that area for a long time. Obviously it is still being used. Really, who cares about the comparisons with other high crime areas of other cities? The moniker still exists here. You and anyone else can defend the area but that doesn't change the fact that the 'war zone' term is still used. Although less and less everyday. Thankfully. I have even seen a couple of your posts in that past acknowledge that area attracts and has more crime.
That's right, I have said that, I have steered people away from living there because there are better options, but just because a place isn't as desirable as certain others does not make it a "war zone." I don't care how prevalent the usage is. If most people say the sky is green and I can see it's blue, I'm not calling it green. I laugh at the fools who call it green.

Since this thread is about "crime" in general (and not any particular neighborhood) this article may be of interest:

Albuquerque homicide rate hit 21-year low in 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That's right, I have said that, I have steered people away from living there because there are better options, but just because a place isn't as desirable as certain others does not make it a "war zone." I don't care how prevalent the usage is. If most people say the sky is green and I can see it's blue, I'm not calling it green. I laugh at the fools who call it green.

Since this thread is about "crime" in general (and not any particular neighborhood) this article may be of interest:

Albuquerque homicide rate hit 21-year low in 2011
In the evenings it can be watermelon color.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
In the evenings it can be watermelon color.
Yesterday it was more canteloupe.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
When I was in Albuquerque I seen alot of people drinking in public and people loitering.

And you'll see this in New Orleans, Los Angeles, Key West, Miami, heck, even Dallas.

Some of the people I talked to say robbery , B&E , car theft and other property crime is very high in Albuquerque .

My home nor car has been broken into in ABQ, nor have I ever felt in danger (including while in the International Zone). On the other hand, I had break-ins while living in Dallas, Houston, Ft. Lauderdale and Baton Rouge, and was mugged in Mobile.

Also saying there is big drug problem and alcohol abuse in Albuquerque .

As there is most likely in any other larger metro area, especially when the economy tanks, unemployment is high and tempers are short.

None of your points are unique to Albuquerque. Personally, I think the overabundance of stupid burglar bars does much to promote the idea that crime is rampant in ABQ. I'm not saying we don't have crime - we do - but what I've seen so far seems to be more personal-related crime (parties know each other) than random gang shootings of innocent people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The former doesn't bother me, the latter does.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,038,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I think the overabundance of stupid burglar bars does much to promote the idea that crime is rampant...
I'll second this. Nothing makes a place feel unsafe like knowing someone is scared.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
When I was in Albuquerque I seen alot of people drinking in public and people loitering.

And you'll see this in New Orleans, Los Angeles, Key West, Miami, heck, even Dallas.

Some of the people I talked to say robbery , B&E , car theft and other property crime is very high in Albuquerque .

My home nor car has been broken into in ABQ, nor have I ever felt in danger (including while in the International Zone). On the other hand, I had break-ins while living in Dallas, Houston, Ft. Lauderdale and Baton Rouge, and was mugged in Mobile.

Also saying there is big drug problem and alcohol abuse in Albuquerque .

As there is most likely in any other larger metro area, especially when the economy tanks, unemployment is high and tempers are short.

What is this International Zone that people keep talking about in ABQ that has lots of crime and drug problem and alcohol abuse.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What is this International Zone that people keep talking about in ABQ that has lots of crime and drug problem and alcohol abuse.
NM Senate District 17 officially changed its name to the The International District upon passage of Senate Joint Memorial 24, sponsored by Sen. Tim Keller. On the morning of February 26th, 2009, the Memorial was unanimously passed in the Senate. In the afternoon, folks gathered in the Capitol Rotunda to celebrate, meet with neighbors and feast on dishes representing the myriad of cultures that represent the District's diversity.
Democracy for New Mexico: Albuquerque's International District Celebrates Name Change

Rich

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,634,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Edit to add: Just like you (and I) thought it was "freaking hilarious" that some other dude was scared driving through Española, I think it's "freaking hilarious" that anyone thinks of the International District as some kind of "war zone."
That dude was me.

For your information I have lived through a war (back in the Balkans). I also have lived in Canada and all over United States (from Missouri to New York to Florida). Have travelled through the country too.

I don't scare easily. However, I am not stupid either and can sense when a place is a place where I would let my wife walk around by herself or when we should probably stay in the car and just "move on".

Been to East St Louis too (a pretty violent place). Got lost in a few places in New York City where you don't want to get lost.

I can tell you that Espanola was one of the creepier places I have driven through. Same goes for some parts of Albuquerque.

Heck, we drove through Chimayo (were looking for a house and got off the beaten path). In the middle of nowhere all of a sudden this car comes out, two dudes in it, bold with bandanas on and tattoes all over their face with the tear tattoed under one guy's eye. They drive by, look at us funny, it's a beat up old car, they don't look like they are up to any good..

Anyways, my point is - a place like Chimayo should not have that, you would expect folks in a small village to be farmers, artisans, blah-blah. Not look like they just sprung out of jail (which they probably did).

When you say that you were laughing when "some dude was scared to drive through Espanola" - anyone who looks up its crime states (1000?!) - can see how ignorant your statement really is.

I suspect that you live in a nice part of town and move around in a nice part of town, perhaps daily and this is where you are coming from.

My $.02

Last edited by ognend; 05-04-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post

I suspect that you live in a nice part of town and move around in a nice part of town, perhaps daily and this is where you are coming from.
Actually we live very near the International District. Within a few blocks, IIRC.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: I fixed your spelling...

Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
NM Senate District 17 officially changed its name to the The International District upon passage of Senate Joint Memorial 24, sponsored by Sen. Tim Keller. On the morning of February 26th, 2009, the Memorial was unanimously passed in the Senate. In the afternoon, folks gathered in the Capitol Rotunda to celebrate, meet with neighbors and feast on dishes representing the myriad of cultures that represent the District's diversity.
Democracy for New Mexico: Albuquerque's International District Celebrates Name Change

Rich

Where is this International District in Albuquerque? What was the name called before?
Quote:

Heck, we drove through Chimayo (were looking for a house and got off the beaten path). In the middle of nowhere all of a sudden this car comes out, two dudes in it, bold with bandanas on and tattoes all over their face with the tear tattoed under one guy's eye. They drive by, look at us funny, it's a beat up old car, they don't look like they are up to any good..

Anyways, my point is - a place like Chimayo should not have that, you would expect folks in a small village to be farmers, artisans, blah-blah. Not look like they just sprung out of jail (which they probably did).
From what people say they say Albuquerque and Phoenix have alot of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque