Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:48 AM

10 posts, read 59,700 times

Advertisements

You have mentioned all the negative things about Albuquerque but you obviously see the world like a glass half empty but I think you really see it all the way empty Eyes Wide Open. You blast Albuquerque so why are you here? Why not move to Phoenix but you would say it is too hot. Ok how about Dallas, oh tornadoes, or LA, oh earthquakes, Memphis, oh too many bugs, etc. You are not going to find any paradise places on earth, paradise is in your mind. You can make a place your own paradise or you can simply keep complaining about it. I am Native Californian and if you think Albuquerque has crime, you need a dose of reality and move to LA. Report the facts not your imagination. Ok we know Albuquerque has crime you've told us but it is actually lower then other cities around it's size. Check the statistics. I just had to say something as this crime thing is getting way out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2006, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 27,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There
You have mentioned all the negative things about Albuquerque but you obviously see the world like a glass half empty but I think you really see it all the way empty Eyes Wide Open. You blast Albuquerque so why are you here? Why not move to Phoenix but you would say it is too hot. Ok how about Dallas, oh tornadoes, or LA, oh earthquakes, Memphis, oh too many bugs, etc. You are not going to find any paradise places on earth, paradise is in your mind. You can make a place your own paradise or you can simply keep complaining about it. I am Native Californian and if you think Albuquerque has crime, you need a dose of reality and move to LA. Report the facts not your imagination. Ok we know Albuquerque has crime you've told us but it is actually lower then other cities around it's size. Check the statistics. I just had to say Oh, so you're a native Californian,something as this crime thing is getting way out of hand.
Oh, so you are a native Californian, and you have been in Alb how long??? Not long enough, obviously. You don't have to tell me about California, as I spend several months out of the year there.There are other places in Cali besides LA, also. I can turn your own reasoning back on you....

Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 PM

85 posts, read 263,879 times
Default To the original poster...

Sure, statistics for Albquerque on crime are not good. However, I would not say it's as bad (overall) as the others have made it out to sound. The traffic is very good for a city this size. Albuquerque's mountains are very beautiful, it's cost of living and property taxes and housing costs are extremely reasonable for a city this size. It's schools are lacking, though, but there are some very good private schools if you can afford them (like Sandia Prep, The Academy, Sunset Mesa, etc.). The weather is very nice. Yes, when I first moved here, I got nosebleeds, but I adjusted. It's a great place to train for a marathon if you're into that sortof things. Outdoor sports are very big out here, biking, running, camping (if that's a sport, haha. guess not). But lots of outdoorsy things to do here. Albuquerque certainly is not perfect by any means, however, it does have it's positives. And it was just recently voted as number one for jobs by Forbes magazine. Schools are trying to step up to the plate to meet the number of incoming companies relocating to the area. HTH

Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 PM

37 posts, read 393,494 times
Default All

WOW! At the risk of stirring this up some more, I must ask. Is crime there really that bad? I am wondering if only being burglarized once in a year is really considered good, or was that a joke? I am a little out of touch, I currently live between two cities that have traded off being the "safest city in the US" for the past few years. Before that I spent many years in Tucson, which is currently ranked higher in crime than Albuquerque. I did have a couple of minor incidents there over a 13 year period, but I raised 2 boys there and never really felt in danger. At this point I am looking for a more rural place to live that is a little more laid back, but this has given me second thoughts. The kids are grown, but I'd sure like them to feel that they can bring the grandkids to visit safely (maybe even consider moving there too). Seriously, am I looking in the wrong place?

I have lived in 3 states, and visited most others. I have seen many places I knew I didn't want to live (Florida comes to mind), and many places I felt I would love to live (Asheville, NC tops the list). There are a lot of things I like about the high desert and there is currently a job potential in Rio Rancho. I am wondering if it is even worth looking into.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:01 AM

5 posts, read 35,256 times
Does anyone know how the crime rate is in either the Belen area or the Socorro areas? My parents are retiring in two years and are considering moving to either of those places. I think they are leaning towards Socorro. Any information would be most appreciated.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 20,937 times
i moved here 3 years ago specifically because of the small town atmosphere. it's like austin texas was 15 years ago. we bought a house in the northeast heights and i have never been happier or felt more secure. our neighbors are black, mexican, indian and white, a true melting pot. there is ging to becrime as in any town but nothing that can't be dealt with. i love the diversity and wouldn't live anywhere else. i have lived in north jersey, chicago, seattle, san francisco and dallas. give me albuquerque any day!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:01 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Does anyone know how the crime rate is in either the Belen area or the Socorro areas? My parents are retiring in two years and are considering moving to either of those places. I think they are leaning towards Socorro. Any information would be most appreciated.
According to City Data's crime stats (you can find them on the main site), Belen has one of the worst crime rates in the entire nation. In my experience, that is correct.

I've never spent much time in Socorro, but it seemed like a nice enough place the few times I passed through there --- if you like the desert.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Roy

1 posts, read 4,200 times
More people = more crime. More poverty = more crime.

It seems that as we have more people in the lower end of the economic scale, crime will increase.

NM is no different. A little personal care and avoidance of dangerous practices will lower the personal crime exposure.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I have lived in both Belen and Socorro pretty much all of my 38 years, and I would definitely recommend Socorro over Belen. Belen is becoming a pit (it is where I live now and I am looking to get out). The crime has gotten ridiculous. It seems like every week or so, someone is getting hospitalized or killed by a friend or family member. There is no "good" neighborhood in Belen anymore, the good neighborhood is Los Lunas. Our newspaper is online and you can keep up with what goes on here (no subscription needed) at: link doesn't work - removed

Socorro is pretty decent if you aren't looking for a career, so it's good for retirement. There are some really pretty areas along what used to be a river, lol. There are some really nice houses around the Tech. Of course, Socorro has it's problems too, but I don't think they come anywhere near what Belen's problems are.

Last edited by Yac; 07-12-2006 at 04:47 AM..

Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 27,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There
You have mentioned all the negative things about Albuquerque but you obviously see the world like a glass half empty but I think you really see it all the way empty Eyes Wide Open. You blast Albuquerque so why are you here? Why not move to Phoenix but you would say it is too hot. Ok how about Dallas, oh tornadoes, or LA, oh earthquakes, Memphis, oh too many bugs, etc. You are not going to find any paradise places on earth, paradise is in your mind. You can make a place your own paradise or you can simply keep complaining about it. I am Native Californian and if you think Albuquerque has crime, you need a dose of reality and move to LA. Report the facts not your imagination. Ok we know Albuquerque has crime you've told us but it is actually lower then other cities around it's size. Check the statistics. I just had to say something as this crime thing is getting way out of hand.
EXCELLENT..... I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETLY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque