Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 04:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
[post above continued...]

you're on "dreaded" Central Ave...
Even have a Starbucks close by the ''Dreaded'' Central on Gibson Blvd where i get the ''Dreaded'' heart clogging Latte on a daily basis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM

182 posts, read 707,867 times
Well, I was talking about the Starbucks further up near 4-Hills, in the strip mall across from "4-Hills Smiths" supermarket and near the Hunters Ridge Apartments...you know, the apartments with the fence up and locked access-gates (car and pedestrian gates) because they are too close to Central?

Haven't been to the Starbucks at Gibson & Central. Don't drive around Central unless I have business there, like going to the Frontier restaurant on occasion. School days for me are over so I don't go to the univerity. At night, when the "night shift" punches in for work, I'm gone.

But even the Central Ave. "fringe people" (being kind here) coming out after dark need their lattes, too, don't they?

-- John D.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:

But even the Central Ave. "fringe people" (being kind here) coming out after dark need their lattes, too, don't they?

-- John D.
Yeah thats probably true although i'm sure they are just a Tad on the spiked side....

Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Harry,

When you mentioned Gibson, I thought of Kirtland AFB...only been there once (I'm a veteran), but I don't know much about the Kirtland part of Albuquerque.

What kind of area is it to live in?

-- John D.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Harry,

When you mentioned Gibson, I thought of Kirtland AFB...only been there once (I'm a veteran), but I don't know much about the Kirtland part of Albuquerque.

What kind of area is it to live in?

-- John D.
OLD....However they are finally fixing/restoring the whole area as Gibson Blvd was recently rebuilt from I-25 to San Mateo and now installing new medean landscaping from San Pedro to the base gate. Also phase 1 was completed on base as all new homes were built and now phase 2 is being done over next couple of years including a new Exchange. Of course the VA and Lovelace (may close) hospitals are out here and Bullhead park has undergone extensive expansion and renovationas have Veterans park. Even one of the worst places in ABQ Trumbull neighborhood is tearing down slum apartments and building brand new town homes for sell.

The bad is well Trumbull neighborhood..Also Lousiana and Zuni is bad and the worst/dangerous 7/11 convience store in ABQ at San Mateo and Kathryn..

Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the info. So I assume the neighborhoods around the base aren't that great.

Well, it's only a 45 minute or so drive to Kirtland from Rio Rancho!

And I bet those same convenience stores allow WOMEN by themselves to work night shifts (as if it's not dangerous enough for MEN, too) -- and without any protection available to them at all -- that's outrageous and inexcusable. Same for all the hotels that only have ONE desk clerk on duty at night, no protection and NO security guard!

Should be a law against that!

-- John D.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
We lived in a small quaint MA town, thought it was perfectly safe- the type of town where you don't lock your car doors when you went in for groceries.

Neighbor's house got broken into, the neighbor 2 houses up the street had a whole basement full of pot and other street drugs and was pushing drugs in the bigger town 30 minutes away. Teen pregnancy out the kazoo.

My small community in PA is now having trouble with kids breaking into vacation homes and with drunk driving. Not so bad as Albuquerque but in todays times no town is safe. Even my grandmother in upstate NY, tiny town of 1000 people locks her doors. Sad really.
Just wanted to throw in my two cents here! Ok, I've been reading this thread & my eyes are practically bugged out of my head! I can't believe some people think it's OK to "only" have your car broken into once?!?! HUH?

I live in southern-sh/central Connecticut.

I don't lock my car, as a matter o' fact, I leave my keys in it at night, yes all night, every single night. I don't lock my house, I don't even have a deadbolt lock on my house door, it's just the lock on the door handle. My town has about 8,000 people in it, we're very rural.

When people want to sell some stuff in the summer like tires or a crib or lawn furniture or flowers or whatever, they just leave it near the street w/ a sign on it stating what they want for it... and no one steals it. People give back too much money when they accidently get it when making change. Once I forgot my wallet when I went to pay for gas & they let me pay them back a couple hours later, after I returned from work.

I seriously considered moving because an acre of land around here costs about 100k, and sometimes people are rude, "summer people" can run rampant, and the cost of living is outrageous, but now I'm not so sure. I think I might have it OK here in CT. No one in my neighborhood is cooking up meth or any other drug that I know of.

Although, once I did have a birthday balloon stolen out of my car at McDonalds (I think it was stolen, it could have blown out when the car door was opened by my sister in law, I'm not sure) I felt pretty violated. My laptop, $2500 camera, CD player, CD's etc. were untouched.

I can't remember the last time I heard a siren. Police go off-duty at 11pm. I'll admit that most people here assume that people who own guns are "bad" or something, but our law is concealed carry, so people shouldn't know if you have one. We don't have a castle doctrine, so you have to make every reasonable effort to flee, which I'm not that happy with, because I do have two children, so fleeing with two kids is harder than just fleeing yourself.

Now, I'd NEVER go to a city like Bridgeport & I avoid New Haven like the plague, and even Hartford is scarey. Thankfully, I don't have to.

Anyway, thanks for the eye-opener.

Michelle

Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 PM

shelderee,

Well, the good news is that you don't live in MA.

Ever since Dukakis got done molesting that state...

But your surprise is some cause for concern since crime has been/is spreading everywhere, even out into the used-to-be-pretty-safe rural areas of America.

Just a heads-up,

-- John D.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
Quote:
And I bet those same convenience stores allow WOMEN by themselves to work night shifts (as if it's not dangerous enough for MEN, too) -- and without any protection available to them at all -- that's outrageous and inexcusable. Same for all the hotels that only have ONE desk clerk on duty at night, no protection and NO security guard!

Should be a law against that!

-- John D.
My last year in Clovis there was a young woman killed in an Allsup's station during a robbery. It was quite sad, and even though it was really a rare occurance in that town IMHO the store should have had more staff on duty not like they could not afford it.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:11 AM

18 posts, read 88,846 times
I've never lived in Albuquerque, but lived in Gallup (a couple of hours away) and visited Albuquerque several times while I was there. I never felt so unsafe as several others have described. Granted, it is a large city, and in any large city there are going to be good areas and bad areas. I did visit the bad areas some too, but never felt unsafe even then. I'm a white female (in my twenties at the time), so I didn't necessarily "fit in."

I wouldn't want to live there for personal reasons. But, if I was a city girl, I would pick a nice area and live there, no problem.

I live in San Antonio right now, and it's not so great either. The neighbor across the street got his vehicle broken into a couple of months ago--and I live in a decent area. There are lots of neighborhoods that have bars on the windows. And, the local news is just as scary as the Albuquerque news.

I personally think there are going to be problems wherever you go, in one form or another. I don't want to live in a large city anywhere. Cities themselves seem to be the biggest problem. I want to live in a small town, but even then, I will be cautious because bad things do happen everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque