Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times

Advertisements

You can make your own excitement, I took up skydiving but it was a little too exciting so I gave it up. Take flying lessons, try cage fighting, boxing, hang-gliding, hot air ballooning, white-water kayaking, ultralight aircraft, tight-rope walking, base-jumping. Rock-climbing is huge here. Someday maybe you can get launched into space at the Spaceport. Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM

11 posts, read 14,987 times
Default Things To Do In Albuquerque

Hello all!

If you recall (you probably don't), I was a sad Clevelander looking to relocate to ABQ a few months ago. I came here looking for a little moral support as I made the plunge. Well I did! I packed up a car full of stuff and drove across the country, settling in the foothills of ABQ.

I love it! The mountains, the food, the culture. I got a FT job writing, which is my life's passion. Everything is going great, but there is one thing missing: PEOPLE!

Yes, like most people who move to a new city, meeting new friends has been a bigger hurdle than I anticipated. So I was wondering if you guys could suggest a few places to go so that I can at least get out of my apartment for a few hours, if not make a few lasting friends.

1. What's the best theater in town? Where do they put on plays by contemporary playwrights?

2. Where are the best hippie places? Where do they play jam bands and reggae?

3. Any idea where I can find a good book club? Romance book clubs (don't laugh!) in particular?

4. What about writers groups/clubs/workshops? (I enjoy writing fiction and moving down here gave me a chance to write my novel!)

5. Best place for a newbie to ride her mountain bike, hopefully in a club with others?

6. Any advice for volunteering where I would be compelled to interact with others?

I'm not much of a bar person, but I like live music, festivals, concerts, etc. Nob Hill on a Sat. wasn't my thing. Some folks took me out to Imbibe and Nob Hill went Down Hill after that!

And anything in Santa Fe is ok, too, I don't mind the drive.

Hope you guys can help! Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,200,298 times
Start with the weekly alibi; it's not all sleaze.
Try meetup.com too.

Abq Little Theater puts some great productions on.

What do you miss least about Cleveland?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,347,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianV View Post

1. What's the best theater in town? Where do they put on plays by contemporary playwrights?
Theater-X at UNM
Vortex Theater

Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
A lot listed in here: "It's a Trip" - Albuquerque Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-12-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,313,387 times
Not a better place to learn to mountain bike than the North Foothills trails. There are occasionally Beginner Ride etc.

Lemme know if'n u want some info..

Last edited by N8!; 09-26-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times
Hey, welcome and congrats on landing the job!

What sort of volunteer work have you done before, or what kinds of interests do you have that would lend themselves to volunteering? As a writer you could probably become an adult literacy volunteer but that might not be the kind of social interaction you're seeking.

The city's website lists volunteer opportunities you can browse, here is the part about literacy programs:

Literacy Programs
(http://www.cabq.gov/move/volunteer-opportunities/literacy-programs - broken link)

If you like physical labor and the great outdoors, try New Mexico Volunteers for the Outdoors

Then political groups and parties always need volunteers if that's your thing... the list goes on and on. The University performing arts center can use ushers, you get to hear performances for free (and stand around in the dark), and actually theater groups can probably use volunteers to sell tickets, etc.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 7,147 times
Albuquerque is glad to have you! I am excited that you like it here. I am going to give you a few links to websites that may answer your inquiries:
www.cabq.gov/move this is known as the department of volunteerism.
www.albuquerque.com this site is a little commercialized but it as some info.
www.dukecityfix.com DCF is awsome. You can meet more real ABQ folks.
www.abqfanclub.wetpaint.com mainly under construction but a great way to learn some more.
www.bernco.gov the county has volunteering opertunities on this website.
www.abq.com this site is a great way to invest in our cities exposure.
Now that you are here you should take a trip to a place I love here in Albuquerque called the Pajarito open space. It's just south of Albuquerque on Don Felipe SW. Its a beautiful place to run and bird watch. to find out more call 505-331-8829 and you'll get directions.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,783 times
You've gotten some good suggestions.

Hippies? I'd try Winning Coffee (they often have music) near UNM, Java Joes downtown, and the town of Madrid (between ABQ and Santa Fe), for some "hippie hang-outs".

As for bars in Nob Hill, that scene is pretty laid-back, and most everyone can find something they like. Imbibe is more of a club than bar, and is really the only place like that in Nob Hill. Most live music places are downtown - check Blackbird Buvette, Marble Brewery, etc.

That's all I've got

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 PM

10,767 posts, read 23,894,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianV View Post
4. What about writers groups/clubs/workshops? (I enjoy writing fiction and moving down here gave me a chance to write my novel!)
I like to write too. I haven't moved there yet but I've done a little homework and landed on this group. I intend to inquire with them when I get there.

SouthWest Writers :: Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque