Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,518,250 times

Advertisements

Congrats to you. I'm only 5 hours away and have hope that I'll be able to land a job in ABQ at some point soon. I'm heading out next month for a job fair.

I'm also an ex-Ohioan, although I'm from Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM

5,066 posts, read 7,486,698 times
If you like to run or bike, try the upcoming Day of the Tread races, it's a quirky event for cyclists and runners with a Day of the Dead theme that benefits a local children's hospital (I will be running). It could be a fun way for you to experience the local humans, and if you don't want to enter one of the races they can always use volunteers! Same for the Duke City Marathon and many other similar events in town.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM

923 posts, read 2,425,198 times
For cycling try New Mexico Touring Society

For just about anything try meetups: New Mexico Touring Society

Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 10,221 times
Default Traveling thru Albuquerque - Things To Do

Hello there,

I will be traveling thru Albuquerque at the end of May, first of June heading toward California. There will be me and my 2 girls, ages 11 and 13. Wanted some locals advise about what would be a great thing to see/do/experience with them. This is kinda a vacation, travel trip, educational trip. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM

662 posts, read 1,454,750 times
Educational: Drive down Rt. 66 and talk about the history of that, maybe how the Okies came through during the Great Depression. Stop at Rt. 66 diner and have a delicious lunch in that retro place and talk about that time period. Go to Welcome to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center--very interesting. That's the link there. Buy the Roadside Guide to New Mexico Geology, you can get it here: Amazon.com: Roadside Geology of New Mexico (Roadside Geology Series) (9780878422098): Halka Chronic: Books While hiking and driving you can point out specific volcanoes, mountains, etc. and talk about how they were formed. Don't forget to enjoy the delicious New Mexican cuisine and have fun in nature here. I would drive to the top of the Sandias and look out. I would try to visit a pueblo as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM

255 posts, read 628,781 times
Well, there are some pretty cool sights off of I-40, so you're in luck. We've hit most of the attractions within a coupple hundred miles of ABQ and think the bandera ice cave is one of the coolest (pun intended). It's a little over 20 miles off I40 but worth the time.

The Land Of Fire & Ice

Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,937,253 times
Do a little shopping at Oldtown and maybe Uptown. I cringe at Uptown, my Grand-daughters squeal with joy... Take the Tram to Sandia peak.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,435,685 times
Take a short, pleasant hike in Petroglyphs National Monument. It will be a lasting memory for your girls.

Petroglyph National Monument - Petroglyph National Monument

Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 10,221 times
Thank you so much for all this information. Now I have a direction.......watch out education........they're gonna get it even if it is the summer...........who says Mom's can't be sneaky at times.......thank's for all your info.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,488,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
Well, there are some pretty cool sights off of I-40, so you're in luck. We've hit most of the attractions within a coupple hundred miles of ABQ and think the bandera ice cave is one of the coolest (pun intended). It's a little over 20 miles off I40 but worth the time.

The Land Of Fire & Ice
If you do detour off of I-25 to NM 53 from Grants to Gallup to see the ice cave, also stop at El Morro National Monument. (I personally find it to be a lot more interesting than the ice cave.) Inscription Rock there is a great place to see some interesting history both on the rock face and the ruins at the top. Hiking up to the top will also work off some of your girls' excess energy after being cooped up in the car.

Plus you see a lot more greenery and interesting vistas (including El Morro and El Malpais National Monuments) along 53 then if you just stay on I-25.

See El Morro National Monument - El Morro National Monument and El Malpais National Monument - El Malpais National Monument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque