Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

A real treat for me is when I find Concord grapes and they are hard to get especially here in So Cal. They are grown in the Northeast.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/can...ce-risk-cancer

Some history on the Concord:

http://observer.com/2016/09/doctors-...-fight-cancer/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

why not read some 1000's of reviews out there
There are pros and cons with everything. I prefer to study both.

Quote:
Guess one could get all kind of side effects from eat a handful of grapes with seeds if we can even find them today.
Well, no, eating a handful of grapes won't cause side effects unless you have a grape allergy. Grape skins and juice contain the same things as seeds. It doesn't matter if the grape is seeded or unseeded. In fact, you can buy grape skin extract too.

The information you received in the 1990s about antioxidants, like grape seed extract, was current at the time but research has advanced since then.
When researchers first started linking free radicals with chronic disease and ageing, it seemed logical that boosting your antioxidant intake, especially through supplements, would be the antidote. But, as is often the case, the scientific evidence hasn't panned out that way.
"More is not always more in nutrition. And too much can be a bad thing, especially in the mega high doses coming in the supplements," Dr Beckett said.
In fact, research has shown that, in some instances, taking antioxidant supplements can cause harm, and even increase the risk of cancer. Dr Beckett said that's because at high concentrations, substances that normally behave as antioxidants can have the opposite effect and act as pro-oxidants. Burning question: Can you have too many antioxidants? - Health - ABC News

Oxidative stress causes the body to be flooded with free radicals, which research has linked to diseases like cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's. But correlation is not causation, friends—and newer research shows that you can actually have too few free radicals. "[Free radicals] aren't as bad as we once thought they were. They activate beneficial stress responses and may actually extend lifespan," says Diane McKay, PhD, a scientist at the Antioxidants Research Laboratory at Tufts University. "If you increase antioxidant intake, you're also reducing free radicals to such a low level that you're limiting the body's normal adaptation to stress." https://www.prevention.com/food-nutr...oxidant-myths/
More:

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/antioxi...troduction.htm

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...da-good-thing/

Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
A real treat for me is when I find Concord grapes and they are hard to get especially here in So Cal. They are grown in the Northeast.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/can...ce-risk-cancer

Some history on the Concord:

Doctor’s Orders: Concord Grapes Can Improve Your Memory and Fight Cancer | | Observer

We have them on our property. I wish I could have sent some to you because we were overloaded with them for a full month. Just a few left now. However, I don't live in the Northeast. They do grow in other parts.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
I looked at the list and there are other foods listed there. These are all common food items most of us eat unless we're on a really bad junk food diet. With the exception of soy and flaxseed I live on those foods yet developed cancer and it keeps coming back. I also take supplements to make sure I suffer no deficiencies. I get as much exercise as possible with my arthritic hips.
I think we all need to step back and think, how much of this eating or drinking or swallowing such and such really is helping us fight whatever it is we might have or could have in the future. I know many really do believe alternative medicine including herbs and pills will help us but others of us do not share the beliefs. You are an example of what didn't work. Hubby could live on grape juice and grapes. He still has fought cancer off and on, different types for abut 15 years now. And yes, most of us eat a regular diet of these common foods.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
We have them on our property. I wish I could have sent some to you because we were overloaded with them for a full month. Just a few left now. However, I don't live in the Northeast. They do grow in other parts.
Oh I'd love that gift, I'd even pay for them..but they would not make the trip. I believe they are grown in the south too.

I usually like to read both sides of most too. But I've been taking these a long long time so I don't have to read and read other sides. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we all need to step back and think, how much of this eating or drinking or swallowing such and such really is helping us fight whatever it is we might have or could have in the future. I know many really do believe alternative medicine including herbs and pills will help us but others of us do not share the beliefs. You are an example of what didn't work. Hubby could live on grape juice and grapes. He still has fought cancer off and on, different types for abut 15 years now. And yes, most of us eat a regular diet of these common foods.
Well said. In the absence of scientific studies, it all comes down to whether or not one is a believer in anecdotal evidence or not. Some believe grapes have kept them from getting cancer while in your husbands case, anecdotal evidence would tell us that either grapes didn’t protect him from cancer or given his injestion of them contributed to his cancer. Both are equally possible since all the evidence for each scenario is purely anecdotal.

Personally I wish Big Supp would fund studies to answer the questions of efficacy. If they work as claimed then a push could be made to get more folks to take them. That’d be great and could positively impact the health of millions. If they don’t work then that could be made known so people stop wasting money. I don’t know why they don’t voluntarily fund studies. They make plenty of money to do so and backing up their claims with scientific proof would make them even more.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Just talking to a friend and she said her grandmother used to bring baskets of Concords from Erie to Pgh when she was a little girl. She loves them too.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:13 PM

UNC4Me:

When I was presented with this food Supp I didn't go searching for science, I heard researchers and MD on a panel talking about this food supp being brought to the U.S. from France and that it MAY prevent cancers and I didn't need to do research. I had some "blind" faith I guess in what I was hearing from this group....and also what could be harmful and could be so beneficial.

We know many of us come from different mindsets on paths to healing. And that is OK.

Why Big Supp doesn't spend billions in studies, they have done plenty of work and it's up to us to accept or not. Many do not and spending more $$$$ probably wouldn't change minds.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:37 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
UNC4Me:

When I was presented with this food Supp I didn't go searching for science, I heard researchers and MD on a panel talking about this food supp being brought to the U.S. from France and that it MAY prevent cancers and I didn't need to do research. I had some "blind" faith I guess in what I was hearing from this group....and also what could be harmful and could be so beneficial.

We know many of us come from different mindsets on paths to healing. And that is OK.

Why Big Supp doesn't spend billions in studies, they have done plenty of work and it's up to us to accept or not. Many do not and spending more $$$$ probably wouldn't change minds.
It would change my mind and I suspect the minds of many who find anecdotal evidence to be weak and flawed.

By the way, thanks for leaving me this rep:

“Something tells me, IF a good friend brought this info to you with that friend's success, you probably would not flinch. That's nature in many ways..depends on the messenger. jam”

But, no, I’d feel the same way about the info even from a good friend. I’d want to see proof of efficacy before plunking down any of my hard earned money. I had a good friend who fell for the apple cider hype that was going around a number of years ago. She pushed it to all of us as a miracle cure. Until it stripped the enamel off her teeth causing her to need caps on all of them and costing her thousands of dollars. Glad I didn’t listen to her claims of success.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It would change my mind and I suspect the minds of many who find anecdotal evidence to be weak and flawed.

By the way, thanks for leaving me this rep:

“Something tells me, IF a good friend brought this info to you with that friend's success, you probably would not flinch. That's nature in many ways..depends on the messenger. jam”

But, no, I’d feel the same way about the info even from a good friend. I’d want to see proof of efficacy before plunking down any of my hard earned money. I had a good friend who fell for the apple cider hype that was going around a number of years ago. She pushed it to all of us as a miracle cure. Until it stripped the enamel off her teeth causing her to need caps on all of them and costing her thousands of dollars. Glad I didn’t listen to her claims of success.
Your choice, believe what you will and I believe it's true so often that Why believe a stranger who is telling you how great something is, etc...but if say your mother or sister brought one the info, one could feel differently. Just psychology.

In the whole scheme of it all and IF it MAY prevent cancers, it's dirt cheap. Cancer is so so costly.

We all take our risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine