Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are actually were people in my life that I tried my best to give them guidance with their cancers and my sister with MS but they didn't listen. They are gone.
Quote:
Your choice, believe what you will and I believe it's true so often that Why believe a stranger who is telling you how great something is, etc...but if say your mother or sister brought one the info, one could feel differently. Just psychology.
Your own post from earlier in this thread proves that some people don’t accept information based solely on familial association.

I do listen to people I am related to or know on some subjects. If I need a new TV, I call my nephew for his advice since he’s very up to date and knowledgeable on electronics. If I needed advice on my lawn, I’d call my neighbors who have the best looking one in the neighborhood. But, if I need medical advice, I call my doctor or one of my best friends who is also a doctor. In other words, I contact those with a formal education, training and expertise.

GSE may be all you claim, but anecdotal evidence from people (on the internet or in real life) isn’t enough to convince me it’s worthwhile. If you believe it helps you in some way, I wish you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:02 AM

643 posts, read 329,072 times
I don't have cancer.

If only I could figure out what food I eat to give all the credit to, I would go on a crusade to convince all my relatives and friends about its benefits of preventing cancer.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:19 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I don't have cancer.

If only I could figure out what food I eat to give all the credit to, I would go on a crusade to convince all my relatives and friends about its benefits of preventing cancer.
I don't have cancer either and have been into working with Prevention for decades so why not cancer...if what I do works, I'm so ahead of the game. Under $20/mo for a couple months of Prevention, I'm banking on.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Your own post from earlier in this thread proves that some people don’t accept information based solely on familial association.

I do listen to people I am related to or know on some subjects. If I need a new TV, I call my nephew for his advice since he’s very up to date and knowledgeable on electronics. If I needed advice on my lawn, I’d call my neighbors who have the best looking one in the neighborhood. But, if I need medical advice, I call my doctor or one of my best friends who is also a doctor. In other words, I contact those with a formal education, training and expertise.

GSE may be all you claim, but anecdotal evidence from people (on the internet or in real life) isn’t enough to convince me it’s worthwhile. If you believe it helps you in some way, I wish you well.
Then you should NOT work with it. Simple.

I got my mom on it when she was 85 and she got 5 yrs of no colds, cold sores flu issues and her heart did give out at 91. Maybe if my sister had heard me she "might" be alive but she choose to hear her docs and all their drugs for the MS she dealt with. All the IF's in life.

The cancer dx is the LAST and DREADED thing anyone wants to hear and IF I know of something that may help toward this end, I'm in.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-20-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 PM

268 posts, read 226,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

Personally I wish Big Supp would fund studies to answer the questions of efficacy. If they work as claimed then a push could be made to get more folks to take them. That’d be great and could positively impact the health of millions. If they don’t work then that could be made known so people stop wasting money. I don’t know why they don’t voluntarily fund studies. They make plenty of money to do so and backing up their claims with scientific proof would make them even more.
This will most likely never happen. Though they make plenty of money they have no interest in funding studies. It's cheaper to make unsubstantiated claims that can't be scientifically backed up. No one knows who writes those testimonials we see all over the alternative medicine sites. They can be anyone including the people selling the products they're claiming will prevent or cure whatever it happens to be. You never see a negative testimonial. Someone posting that whatever the site was selling didn't work.

If Big Supp did studies of their products, their supplements or herbs or whatever and it's found to be useless, it doesn't pan out, they stand to lose a lot of money. Safer for them not to do any studies. Generally speaking if a site is selling something I don't take what I read on those sites seriously.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
This will most likely never happen. Though they make plenty of money they have no interest in funding studies. It's cheaper to make unsubstantiated claims that can't be scientifically backed up. No one knows who writes those testimonials we see all over the alternative medicine sites. They can be anyone including the people selling the products they're claiming will prevent or cure whatever it happens to be. You never see a negative testimonial. Someone posting that whatever the site was selling didn't work.

If Big Supp did studies of their products, their supplements or herbs or whatever and it's found to be useless, it doesn't pan out, they stand to lose a lot of money. Safer for them not to do any studies. Generally speaking if a site is selling something I don't take what I read on those sites seriously.
Oh, I beg to differ, I check reviews all the time when I'm thinking of trying something new and I see plenty of reviews that "say it didn't do anything for me" or "it gave me an upset stomach"...etc etc. When I do reviews, I say the truth. As I say here to the best of my being.

Big Supp as you call it, does fine, they've come a long way in helping support people who are burned on the pharma drugs etc.

Pharma and the powers out there have been trying to shut it down for about 30 yrs. That poor innocent good grape is sure getting a bad rap. And as I said, if one fears the grape, avoid it.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Testimonials are a dime a dozen.
And no way to know who actually wrote them.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
And no way to know who actually wrote them.
Like we know no one here either. I like to think there are more sincere people out there than deceitful people. You don't know me and I've been around here about 2 yrs so you should not trust me either. I'm done with this exchange...

Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, I beg to differ, I check reviews all the time when I'm thinking of trying something new and I see plenty of reviews that "say it didn't do anything for me" or "it gave me an upset stomach"...etc etc. When I do reviews, I say the truth. As I say here to the best of my being.

Big Supp as you call it, does fine, they've come a long way in helping support people who are burned on the pharma drugs etc.

Pharma and the powers out there have been trying to shut it down for about 30 yrs. That poor innocent good grape is sure getting a bad rap. And as I said, if one fears the grape, avoid it.
OK, I am not trying to argue with you or anyone else over this, so don't think I am. It was just a statement. I have not seen the negative reviews on sites selling supplements. I have seen a few on sites NOT selling supplements. If BigPharm is trying to shut them down I have not seen that either. What I have been aware of is the Gov shutting down those making false claims about what they are selling. I'm sure you agree selling something claiming it's a preventive or cure with nothing but testimonials and anecdotes as evidence can be dangerous. It's the Govs job to handle these people, not BigPharm.

BP is looking for cures because that's what makes them money. Drugs that don't work die in the trials. They don't make it to the shelves. They don't sell useless drugs that do not either cure or improve a disease. Let's use a common cancer for example. Any company that finds a cure for even one of the breast cancers will make more money than you can imagine. They would be king of the hill. They would make billions upon billions since women will continue to develop breast cancer and want their drug to cure it, now and in the future. As for the Drs, they too would love cures for any of diseases since they too and well as their loved ones die of cancer and other diseases. So Drs and BigPharm aren't trying to shut down alternative types of medicine because they know if the person doesn't get will they will turn to modern conventional medicine or they will die.

I don't know who is giving the grape a bad rap. Certainly not me. The only fear of grapes is the high sugar content. Not good for pre-diabetic or the overweight or those suffering from cancer. There is a connection between cancer and sugar aka carbs aka starches. GSE would bypass those problems.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Supplement companies typically produce products based on mainstream medical research. Medical research studies are not proof of anything; it's just evidence and evidence is often later shown to be wrong.

For example, the antioxidant supplement "craze" came from mainstream research evidence that mega doses may prevent cancer. That hasn't panned out and has been debunked (post 42). In fact, mega doses as in supplements have been shown to produce the opposite effect in some cases. However, there is *some* evidence that mega doses may aid in the treatment of cancer along with conventional treatment.

There is considerable scientific evidence for cancer prevention from studies on populations with low incidence of cancer and other chronic diseases. These populations have diets rich in fruits and vegetables. The scientific community has stated repeatedly that this is the best evidence we have, and it usually cites the mediterranean diet as an *example* of what that looks like (ratios, etc.).

Human nature being what it is, many will take the most convenient route. The supplement industry understands its target market. It has stated that its primary consumer is someone who hopes that a supplement will counteract whatever it is they are doing or not doing. Is the supplement industry wrong for supplying a consumer demand?

Even the 4 Cancer Models article (not a study) jaminhealth linked upthread here https://www.city-data.com/forum/52535805-post37.html states the same:
.. several epidemiological studies have shown that populations that consume diets rich in fruits and vegetables have an overall lower cancer incidence.
Taking a cue from the epidemiological data indicating that dietary habits influence cancer risk, considerable scientific interest has been generated in developing various preventive measures based on diet, especially those involving fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables, belonging to plant kingdom, represent a vast source of phytochemicals of varied chemical structure; many of them have already been studied extensively for their potential anticancer or chemopreventive efficacy. As such, interventions based on fruits and vegetables are not only "more natural" in lowering cancer risk without imposing "any side effects" but also in maintaining good general health based on the fact that they are major sources of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Scientists are now researching how phytochemicals or phytonutrients from a variety of fruits and vegetables may be working together to help prevent cancer and other diseases or, as I prefer to say, to maintain health.

I predict that the next big sellers from supplement companies will be phytonutrients because that is where the research has gone. However, I don't expect that to work either. The disadvantage of supplements is that you are missing the other compounds in those foods. If the phytochemicals in a rich diet of fruits and vegetables are working together to help prevent disease, then it follows that the other natural compounds in those foods (vitamins, minerals, fiber) may be an integral part of the process. Medical researchers know and state that supps can't replace natural whole foods, but many consumers want it anyway. If the supplement industry follows what it has done historically, it will use this research to produce mega doses of phytonutrients and successfully market it to its target consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine