Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 11:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Should we discuss the elephant in the room:
  • Cindric forcing Bubba beneath the double yellow coming to the checkers
  • Issues with the Penske wheels

I don't even recall him going below the line.. But Cindric was pretty well out of control after bouncing off the 2 (I think) who was in the fence. I didn't see anything to be penalized there.

Ok.. I rewatched, and Cindric hit Bubba, which knocked him below the yellow.. Again, I see nothing penalty worthy there. He was honestly more lucky he didn't spin himself out.

While I do agree that last lap gets far more leeway.. Something that is not flexible is the below the yellow line rule. But, again, this situation was a proper no-call. Inadvertant contact sent the 23 below the line.

The wheels.. We don't know the problem yet. All we know is that tires were confiscated and taken back to R&D. I'm sure if there's to be penalties, they'll be forthcoming. They did say that the issues didn't affect the twins, so.. Who knows. Seeing as they get the wheels from a supplier.. It has to be an illegal modification, and seeing how many teams had issues with the wheels (Changing them) on Sunday.. Maybe that's where there was a modification.

How about a lost wheel being a 4 race suspension for crew chief and 2 crew members?

And.. FWIW.. I look forward to seeing how RFK does next week, and the week after. We know that they've been fairly strong on the superspeedways for a while. But, how do they do on a normal track? Newman and Buescher combined for 2 top 5's on non-plate races last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 02:35 PM

6,426 posts, read 3,134,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
.... We almost had history last night with Bubba.
Actually, we did. It was the first time that a car lost it's front fender, on a speedway, and still was aerodynamic enough to maintain race speed.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking.. Are they not running an inner liner in these things? And, it seems the answer is no, and it seems they might not be able to.
Apparently not, and we're so used to them, after all these years, that I completely forgot about them....

Old 02-21-2022, 03:53 PM

468 posts, read 826,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

Penske wheels and the independent rear suspension that can’t survive even minimal contact.

Any of you see the Xfinity finish? The Snider wreck was crazy.

Rear suspension is junk.

And I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more cars going airborne this year.

On a positive note, I believe the car is safer than ever before. Those wrecks were bad but minimal injury to the drivers. At least NASCAR did something right with this car in that respect.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Rear suspension is junk.

And I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more cars going airborne this year.

On a positive note, I believe the car is safer than ever before. Those wrecks were bad but minimal injury to the drivers. At least NASCAR did something right with this car in that respect.

I'm not so sure. At least so far as Cup goes.

Look at Burton.. he did go into the air, but he was.. Stable in the air and with the smaller sidewall profile of the tires, he didn't dig in and start flipping when coming back down. At least, that's the best reason I can find for why he didn't.

Plus, when he went, the car was sideways.. Not backwards, which is generally where we see them lift. I just don't think we'll see the speeds required to get them airborne like that, other than at the plate tracks.

The cars that did get backwards, like the 20 and 48.. Were planted to the ground.. Though, they may have, and in the case of the 48, certainly had, scrubbed some speed off.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:42 PM

So.. Looks like the wheel modifications were to do with the drive pins and to avoid the situation that multiple teams did encounter.

According to Penske, they told NASCAR about it and what they wanted to do.. They didn't get a response from NASCAR, so they did it. Basically.. They decided that they'd ask forgiveness since they didn't get permission.

That seems like a very, very, very bad idea based on the stated penalties for working outside the box on the new car.

Quote:
L3 penalties
Violations include:
  • Counterfeiting or modifying single-source Next Gen parts
  • Engine infractions (cubic-inch displacement, compression ratio, assembly and internal components) and performance enhancements (nitrous oxide, vacuum leaks)
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) or Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) violations
  • Modifying tires and/or fuel
  • Violations of private team testing policy
Penalty options include:
  • Points deductions: 120-180points
  • Playoff points deductions: 25-50 points
  • Suspension of one or two crewmembers for six races
  • Fines: $250,000-$500,000
  • Nullifying postseason eligibility, regardless of wins, points and other qualifying criteria
  • One-race suspension for the team, in the event of repeat high-level violations
This would fall under an L3 penalty, the highest.

Rolling the dice on a L3 infraction area.. That's just dumb. Maybe this falls to a L2 area, based on the single-source parts portion

Quote:
L2 penalties
Violations include:
  • Modifications to single-source Next Gen parts not rising to L3 level infractions
  • Violations of engine-seal requirements
  • Unapproved alterations to the engine control system wiring
  • Use of unapproved on-board electronics
Penalty options include:
  • Points deductions: 75-120points
  • Playoff points deductions: 10-25 points
  • Suspension of one or two crewmembers for 4-6 races
  • Fines: $100,000-$250,000
Again.. Still not an area you want to be in. This was dumb.

Obviously, they don't have to apply all of the options there. Could be just a fine.. But you're looking into possible points loss in either case, INCLUDING playoff points, and if they go L3, banning them from the playoffs.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:26 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Fox has Matt Kenseth this weekend as the guest announcer. But the next two weeks after that it will be Danica. Would she please just go away already?

Old 02-23-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Fox has Matt Kenseth this weekend as the guest announcer. But the next two weeks after that it will be Danica. Would she please just go away already?

Pull in Ned. Last I saw of him he was still doing well and was pretty sharp. Be nice to see him again outside of the token Darlington appearance.

I'd say Newman, but.. He's.. A little boring to listen to. Schrader, if you can get him off the dirt tracks.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:58 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
I'll admit, the 500 was not nearly as dull as I was afraid it was going to be. I thought for sure we'd have a bunch of small packs separated by manufacturer several seconds apart on the track. It looked bad early when Shrub said the low line couldn't gain, it could only maintain, but they got comfortable and figured out how to make it work. Was it an amazeballs race? No, but it wasn't nap-inducing, either.

I may watch a bit of the Fontana race just to see how the new chassis performs, but I hate that track (and MIS, too). A few laps of close side-by-side racing followed by 150 laps of strung out follow the leader. Now I hear the plans to turn it into a short track are on hold. That's a shame because the current layout is dull.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:17 PM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Agreed!
Matt might actually be a refreshing balance to the hyperactive Boyer. Should be interesting... considering Matts name probably isn't on the short list of guys that would be great in the booth.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Agreed!
Matt might actually be a refreshing balance to the hyperactive Boyer. Should be interesting... considering Matts name probably isn't on the short list of guys that would be great in the booth.

Kenseth will be pretty cerebral in the booth, most likely. I think we might get some good insights.. Just.. Presented fairly blandly. Of course, with Bowyer there.. That should up the level just by itself.

The guys who would be good in the booth are either already there or are in the race.

Again, Schrader would be great.. Knock the dust off Cousin Carl. Mark Martin if you could drag him over, but, I think that's unlikely.

Maybe Biffle.. I'd say Vickers, but I think he's laying low.. Or his wife is, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing