Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 09:52 AM

6,429 posts, read 3,137,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It's Speedweeks baby!!
Sunday, Feb 20. The Superbowl of Stock Car Racing begins at 3:30 PM on FOX.
And yes, they once again are bending over backwards for the "left coasters" by starting the race when the afternoon is half over, at least for those of us on the east coast, and the race could now easily run to 7-8 PM, EST............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 11:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Think that's signed, sealed and delivered. It's a one-off for Daytona in the #44 as I recall.

I guess that's still rumor as nothing has been announced.

Ok.. NOW it's official.

Has anyone seen an entry list yet? Ah.. There it is.. 42 cars. So, 2 will go home.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:01 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,686,741 times
The reason races are starting later is the tv deal. 55 million live in the pacific time zone.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The reason races are starting later is the tv deal. 55 million live in the pacific time zone.
Yes, I realize that, but how many of those 55 million POTENTIAL viewers are actually going to "tune in"? For how many decades, was NASCAR's primary fan base living on the east coast, more directly, the SOUTHeast part of the country? For that matter, the bulk of the teams are still based there, as is the majority of the racing schedule.

Think about it this way, the Buffalo Bills are considered the "home team" in my geographic area, and when they play "home games", they start at 1PM, local time.....even if they play a west coast team.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:00 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
What are your favorites to win the Great American Race Sunday? I'm still mulling it over and will have a better understand after qualifying and the duals due to the NextGen car.

I would think a favorite has to be Bubba. He really seems to take to the Super Speedways. If he can keep his car out of trouble, I can see him battling up front at the end.

My drivers, 5 & 9 are typical favorites, but Larson doesn't seem to like the super speedway. Chase would have a better chance. Harvick and SHR will only have one car at the track, so he's going to have to be careful leading up to the race.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:15 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Yes, I realize that, but how many of those 55 million POTENTIAL viewers are actually going to "tune in"? For how many decades, was NASCAR's primary fan base living on the east coast, more directly, the SOUTHeast part of the country? For that matter, the bulk of the teams are still based there, as is the majority of the racing schedule.

Think about it this way, the Buffalo Bills are considered the "home team" in my geographic area, and when they play "home games", they start at 1PM, local time.....even if they play a west coast team.
NASCAR is no longer a regional sport. Even Bill Sr knew he had to grow or die. Take away national TV and the sponsors will leave immediately.

The Bills analogy doesn't work. The overwhelming majority of Bills fans are in the NY area.

The deed is done and can't be undone. No team is buying cars from the local dealership and driving them on Sunday. The business model has changed. Completely. So, while you can continue to complain about "the good ole days", they're over and not coming back. I'd suggest a local short track might be more your speed.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:24 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
If you didn't catch it, Dale Jr. had an AMA on Reddit today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comm...ports_and_nbc/

Old 02-15-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
......... I'd suggest a local short track might be more your speed.
These days, that's difficult to do, as many tracks have either shut down completely, or drastically curtailed their schedules, due to complaints of noise.....even though these "neighbors" moved into close proximity to the tracks LONG after the tracks went into operation. My local track, a half mile oval, used to run oval races on Friday nights, and drag races, on the front straight of the track, on Saturday nights. Any rain-outs were held on Wednesday nights, and this was from mid-May through mid September.

The original owners retired, a good 18-20 years ago, and A) the track changed hands a couple of times; and B) the "neighbors" launched their attack on the place, as soon as the first change of ownership occurred. Currently, the track hosts 6 Friday night races, with several classes of car running 3 events each, and the drag racing program has been completely dropped.

And with respect to "more my speed", a NASCAR-spec, asphalt modified, is a VERY fast race car, especially on a 1/2 or 5/8 mile racetrack......

Old 02-15-2022, 04:22 PM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
What are your favorites to win the Great American Race Sunday? I'm still mulling it over and will have a better understand after qualifying and the duals due to the NextGen car.

I would think a favorite has to be Bubba. He really seems to take to the Super Speedways. If he can keep his car out of trouble, I can see him battling up front at the end.

My drivers, 5 & 9 are typical favorites, but Larson doesn't seem to like the super speedway. Chase would have a better chance. Harvick and SHR will only have one car at the track, so he's going to have to be careful leading up to the race.
Really?! I recon then you would have to put McDowell up there as well ... he did win his plate race out right. From what I understand he really takes to the new car.
As we all know, plate races anymore are anybody's and everybody's to win or lose. It aint like the good old days. I don't know that the new car is going to change that.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Really?! I recon then you would have to put McDowell up there as well ... he did win his plate race out right. From what I understand he really takes to the new car.
As we all know, plate races anymore are anybody's and everybody's to win or lose. It aint like the good old days. I don't know that the new car is going to change that.

We don't know what the new car will be like.. We'll get some feelings after tomorrow and have a decent idea after Thursday.

The top 5 in practice right now are.. odd, to say the least.

#34-McDowell 192.736
#15-Ragan 192.666
#38-Gilliland 192.649
#6-Keselowski 192.600
#17-Buescher 192.571

JGR and affiliates take up the lower half of the top 10 with Truex 6th, Wallace 7th, Hamlin 8th, Kurt and Kyle in 9th and 10th

then come the Hendrick cars..

Bell is in 15th.

The tail end looks, about liek would be expected. McLeod, Grala, Villeneuve and the like.. With Blaney, Logano and Haley surprisingly down in the 30's. I put Haley in there as a surprise because he's quite a good plate racer.

But, this is first practice. Things will certainly change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing