Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 12:54 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I didn't hate it. Was it great, no. Especially the non-racing parts of it. But watching the first practice, I thought it was going to be horrible. There was very little passing for the lead, but lots of bumping and banging behind them.
If I had that kind of short track racing locally I would pay money to go watch every saturday night. That restart in the last LCQ where Austin Cindrick and Ty Dillon stuffed their noses in there and sent Kurt up the track... Best part of the whole race !
BTW , I thought Kurts response was great ... "Its a NASCAR race in a football stadium."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 05:10 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
We saw real racing at this track, which is more than we can say for the Daytona oval course with the plate or whatever they use these days to slow everybody down. Derick Cope once won that one, so that tells us everything we need to know about it...

Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,143,427 times
I've been an oval track fan since I was a little kid, starting back in the late 50s, when ABC's "Wide World of Sports" started their broadcasts of the races. And once in a while, I could talk my father into taking me to the local short tracks. I watched the heat races, this past Sunday, out of curiosity, and stayed for part of the "feature". I wasn't impressed. A 1/4 mile "bull ring" isn't meant for race cars of this size. As somebody mentioned, sprint cars, maybe, but these cars, no......and as one other person mentioned, they could have done this at Bowman-Gray, and at least labelled it as "a tradition".

Old 02-08-2022, 07:12 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
I don't think the race was meant to appease us older fans. It was designed to get a new audience to replace the fans who are dying off.

As I said before, younger people are just not interested in NASCAR. To be a true fan, as we all know, it takes time and dedication...loyalty. None of my kids, age 15-22, watch sports. My son watches fishing videos...lol.

If NASCAR can complete a race in the time it takes to show a Tik-Tok, then they may have something.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:15 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I don't think the race was meant to appease us older fans. It was designed to get a new audience to replace the fans who are dying off.

As I said before, younger people are just not interested in NASCAR. To be a true fan, as we all know, it takes time and dedication...loyalty. None of my kids, age 15-22, watch sports. My son watches fishing videos...lol.
This is spot on. A lot of the older fans are continuously on these threads bemoaning the changes to NASCAR. But the reality is that NASCAR was losing its old audience based on tickets sold and TV ratings. They need to grow the base. Now they're going after a younger, more diverse, audience and the old timers are screaming about "wokeness". Wokeness is apparently code for anything they don't like.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
This is spot on. A lot of the older fans are continuously on these threads bemoaning the changes to NASCAR. But the reality is that NASCAR was losing its old audience based on tickets sold and TV ratings. They need to grow the base. Now they're going after a younger, more diverse, audience and the old timers are screaming about "wokeness". Wokeness is apparently code for anything they don't like.
No wokeness is about embracing political correctness... which is the antithesis of what NASCAR was and what separated it from all the other professional sports and the reason that many of us "old timers" were attracted to it in the first place. You can go after the younger generation and stay true to your roots without going full r*tard to the left embracing things like the LGBTQ and BLM. We'll see how it works out for them, so far going woke hasn't proved to be a sound business model.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:47 PM

6,438 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
No, wokeness is about embracing political correctness... which is the antithesis of what NASCAR was and what separated it from all the other professional sports and the reason that many of us "old timers" were attracted to it in the first place. You can go after the younger generation and stay true to your roots without going full r*tard to the left embracing things like the LGBTQ and BLM. We'll see how it works out for them, so far going woke hasn't proved to be a sound business model.
Exactly!!!

And while it's true that some of us older fans are physically dying off, more of us older guys are getting turned off by all of the attempts to make the racing more "relevant" to a younger audience, an audience that doesn't seem to be growing by that great a number....

Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM

468 posts, read 826,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Exactly!!!

And while it's true that some of us older fans are physically dying off, more of us older guys are getting turned off by all of the attempts to make the racing more "relevant" to a younger audience, an audience that doesn't seem to be growing by that great a number....

We went thru this in the late 90's and early 2000's. Short attention span fans getting in the with latest trendy thing which happened to be NASCAR

Many of those fans fell away in a few years resulting in what we see now.

I predict this is just Deja Vu all over again. There will be an uptick in viewers and fans the stands for a short while with gimmicks like this past weekend.

But in time we will see it all fall off again with lack of interest.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
No wokeness is about embracing political correctness... which is the antithesis of what NASCAR was and what separated it from all the other professional sports and the reason that many of us "old timers" were attracted to it in the first place. You can go after the younger generation and stay true to your roots without going full r*tard to the left embracing things like the LGBTQ and BLM. We'll see how it works out for them, so far going woke hasn't proved to be a sound business model.
I haven't sen anyone in NASCAR embrace LGBTQ. As for BLM, the singular black driver, and his owner, put BLM on their car.

The reality is, fan attendance and TV ratings have been plummeting. Back when a prime sponsor on a car was Billy Bob's Ford in Hickory, drivers could do and say whatever the heck they wanted. Dupont isn't paying $25 million per to have their driver act stupid. As for attendance, the product is better on TV. I'll do Austin and Darlington this year. Austin is only to see the race, hopefully, without rain.

The rebel flags are gone forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Exactly!!!

But you, and others like you, weren't watching or attending, so why try to appease you? So, they are doing what any smart business does. They are seeking out a new demographic.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I haven't sen anyone in NASCAR embrace LGBTQ. As for BLM, the singular black driver, and his owner, put BLM on their car.

The reality is, fan attendance and TV ratings have been plummeting. Back when a prime sponsor on a car was Billy Bob's Ford in Hickory, drivers could do and say whatever the heck they wanted. Dupont isn't paying $25 million per to have their driver act stupid. As for attendance, the product is better on TV. I'll do Austin and Darlington this year. Austin is only to see the race, hopefully, without rain.

The rebel flags are gone forever.

But you, and others like you, weren't watching or attending, so why try to appease you? So, they are doing what any smart business does. They are seeking out a new demographic.
Straight from the horses mouth...
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...p-with-nascar/
https://www.christianpost.com/news/n...gbt-group.html
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/nascar-goes-gay/

Look it's not even debatable NASCAR isn't walking away from their traditional roots they are running, the why, doesn't change the fact.

I know your infatuation with the "Rebel" flag fits your narrative and helps you believe in it but... the idea that all the good old boys stopped watching NASCAR 16 years ago because they got rid of the confederate flag 1 year ago is just...well to put it nicely nonsensical and goofy!
Fact is, Elvis had long left the building, that was just NASCAR kicking him in the ass on the way out. In their pathetic attempt to placate Wallace/ BLM and to keep the Reverands Al and Jesse at bay.
The real truth is it wasn't the "old timers" that dropped off first it was exactly the opposite it was 18–34-year old's .( So using your own words, why try to appease them?) But that is exactly what NASCAR has been doing for the last 16 years instead of dancing with the ones that brung ya!

People can debate till the cows come home why NASCAR has been in decline but there is a timeline, and a series of names and events. Dale Jr, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Danica Patrick, Brian France, Broadcasts, Toyota and The Chase. All more relevant than your "Rebel" Flag which I really don't know anyone who gives 2 craps about.

2004, Dale Jr has his best career season, best thing that could happen for NASCAR going into 2005.

2004 Toyota enters NASCAR. Very unpopular with diehard fans of a Sport that was Uniquely based on the American big 3 manufactures.

2004 "The Chase" playoff format was installed, again very unpopular with the old school fans but Brian France ignored them anyway.

2004 Kyle Busch Starts . Was obviously not a fan favorite and was viewed as another brash, young punk not from the south.

2005 NASCAR's Peak, you had Dale Jr coming off his best season ever to basically tailspin into purgatory. That in addition to the other "negatives" I mentioned from the year before was the beginning of the end Then going forward you add on the rise of Jimmie Johnson and 5 straight Championships. Not that Jimmie was that despised but obviously the clean-cut metro sexual from California winning everything just meant nobody from the south (DaleJr)was.

As the 2000's progressed the race broadcasts became more unbearable, at times it seemed there were more commercials than racing.

In their never-ending attempt to expand the sport beyond Its regional roots, NASCAR gave 2 races to multiple cookie cutter tracks at the expense of some of the old traditional races.

Danica Patrick, the poster child for all of the above. NASCAR went all in, somehow believing she was the answer. Much like they are still doing today with Wallace (slow learners) she was all over every graphic alongside champions and veterans as a Superstar of NASCAR! How'd that work out? It was so pathetically blatant it had just the opposite effect . I guess all those starry eyed 8-year-old girls that dreamt that they too could someday make it big doing GoDaddy commercials in their bikinis weren't enough to turn things around.

Certainly, isnt an exhaustive list of reasons but they are mine and it just happens to fit the timeline.
Like I said it can and has been debated for ever.

Last edited by silas777; 02-09-2022 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing