Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times

Advertisements

You think commercial pilots are bad? Try private pilots

They aren't known for their fidelity, and they are arrogant as hell. One of our pilots asked to be referred to as 'international jet captain ________' and he wasnt joking....
At least most of our pilots are young and good looking... Whenever they mouth off I just tell them to sit down, shut up and look pretty.

I'd date a pilot, but I'm not sure I would marry one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
"The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else."

Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl76 View Post
I have met an airline pilot, and have considered going on a date with him. I am just wondering what challenges anyone has faced dating a pilot? I know they are gone 3 to 4 days out of a week, which probably won't be a problem for me. In a previous relationship, he traveled for work about 2 weeks out of a month....Just want to see what you all think???
Do you like him? It's just a date, why not? It's never smart to lump a group of people into the "they're all the same" category. I won't begin to address all the silly comments on this thread. Pilots, like any other profession have a wide range of personalities, just like doctors, lawyers or businessmen. If, however, these people mean that pilots are type "A" personalities, yes, they are. They are tast oriented and get the job done. Don't just assume that all pilots cheat or are jerks who have a god complex.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
"The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else."

Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl76 View Post
I have met an airline pilot, and have considered going on a date with him. I am just wondering what challenges anyone has faced dating a pilot? I know they are gone 3 to 4 days out of a week, which probably won't be a problem for me. In a previous relationship, he traveled for work about 2 weeks out of a month....Just want to see what you all think???
My brother-in-law is a commercial airline pilot. And I've been to a couple of gatherings where not only he, but some of his flyboy buddies were there.
I also used to teach drums to the son of a pilot for SouthWest Air. And I also trained a pilot who wanted to run a marathon a couple years ago.
My overall impression of them?

Of course it's inaccurate and unfair to over-generalize, but from what I've seen, they have certainly have to be among the most arrogant and smarmy toolbags on the planet. Also--and far more disturbingly for those of us who fly alot--they tend to have drinking problems.

I've never been in a room with a pilot for more than 20 minutes when I didn't want to put his head through the wall.

My wife--who is the biggest granola head touchy-feely "why-can't-we-all-just-get-along?" liberal you'll ever meet, even admits her pilot/brother is a douche.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Do you like him? It's just a date, why not? It's never smart to lump a group of people into the "they're all the same" category. I won't begin to address all the silly comments on this thread. Pilots, like any other profession have a wide range of personalities, just like doctors, lawyers or businessmen. If, however, these people mean that pilots are type "A" personalities, yes, they are. They are tast oriented and get the job done. Don't just assume that all pilots cheat or are jerks who have a god complex.
that's why I used the phrase "be careful". She should tread carefully based on what a lot of people say, but also realize he's not everyone else. Hopefully she lucked out.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Be careful.
He-he, if you start reading the military statistics... never even mind the word of mouth! Talking strictly about the statistics about their marriages. And yet, you go for them every time!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
that's why I used the phrase "be careful". She should tread carefully based on what a lot of people say, but also realize he's not everyone else. Hopefully she lucked out.
As did I with my pilot husband! Been married 17 years.
Some of you are correct, there are some pretty arrogant, pompous pilots out there. Let's face it, do we want someone with confidence issues, low self esteem and trouble making decisions operating an airplane?
To the OP, if you are a strong, confident woman with your own life, without self esteem issues, see if he's a good guy. Besides, the travel benefits can be awesome!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He-he, if you start reading the military statistics... never even mind the word of mouth! Talking strictly about the statistics about their marriages. And yet, you go for them every time!
I am careful though, extremely so..and they go for me (although you'd think I was wearing a sign that says to them "come get me") and yes I'm aware of all the stats. Civilian men (here in Tucson anyways) don't like me as I've tried to date them and it never goes anywhere or they just want one thing, I've accepted that. If that ever changed, I'd be very very glad. It would probably only change if I moved though, haha oh well. I wouldn't not give a pilot a chance either, but I'd tread very very carefully. I've heard even worse things about them than the guys around here in the military. Besides, remember our conversation? lol, you said "give him a chance" and so far so good.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
As did I with my pilot husband! Been married 17 years.
Some of you are correct, there are some pretty arrogant, pompous pilots out there. Let's face it, do we want someone with confidence issues, low self esteem and trouble making decisions operating an airplane?
To the OP, if you are a strong, confident woman with your own life, without self esteem issues, see if he's a good guy. Besides, the travel benefits can be awesome!
good I'm glad! I'm sure you realize that you just got lucky though. Relationships in general are a great deal of luck anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation