Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times

Advertisements

....meanwhile....the OP appears to have taken flight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I must admit, I've never seen the attraction of women toward airline pilots.
I must admit I was once attracted to pilots and my dream job was to be an air hostess.

I was 12.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Pretty scathing review on pilots overall on this thread. It is an interesting passion we (yes I am a pilot and a military one at that, double whammy ) pursue and in many instances the nature of the job is not conducive to a homesteading life. I'm not quite sure if the physical unavailability of these men causes women to adjudicate them as conceited rather than plainly recognizing they put their career first. Certainly, pilots are NOT the only members of the labor force that put their career first, in aggregate. Neither are pilots the only members of the labor force who travel extensively and are gone from home with a great deal of frequency.

As to the FAs.... come on now. JetJockey et al, you know the score. You know female flight attendants are ****. Look at the demographic. Under 30, vocationally underachieving, with a desire to travel and/or live a luggage lifestyle and open to the attention of much older and financially stupid men (airline Captains) and local yokels they justify themselves a nightly romp with under the relative anonymity that is sleeping in a different city every night for 4-5-day trips every week. It's endemic to the lifestyle and these chicks live up to that. Even the older ones and married pursue their indiscretion with great ease. In that respect the female FA archetype portrayed in the movie "up in the air" is spot on, down to the age and family make up. This is not a secret. Everybody in the industry knows it. The regionals are the worst. It's a free for all. Do all of them do it? Of course not, but the 'they're too tired too screw' angle is laughable. Everybody knows the score when the crew gets to the hotel, where all the other crews are also staying (airline hotels are pretty easy to spot). I would say the same thing about FAs as they say about pilots...I'd hang out with them, I sure as heck wouldn't marry one. It is a lifestyle conducive to loneliness on the road and 'work spouse' syndrome, which inevitably fosters infidelity. All that said, it is NOT the only vocation with such proclivities.

As to the rest of the description, I have nothing to disagree with. Pilots are generally not that very well paid in the first 2/3rds of their careers. They tend to have multiple divorces, they tend to marry FAs and other pilots. They do have high opinions of themselves due to the nature of the job; even the douches have demonstrated a nominal technical level of expertise in the operation of turbine aircraft, so that somewhat lends itself to a high opinion of oneself, particularly in the absence of a decent paycheck. All these things may not be to the satisfaction of the traditional woman. Im sure if the gaggle hasn't heard it before, there is such a thing as AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) that gets thrown around amongst pilot circles. And for full disclosure I agree, I wouldn't give up my vocation to appease the company of a woman. Again, I don't think it's fair to single out pilots in this regard. Plenty of professional men who refuse to give up their vocations in order to appease the company of a woman. We have one life to live and we ought to pursue it with genuine passion. Pilots may have a bad reputation, but at least they're pursuing their vocation with a sense of honesty rather than being the miserable nurse that does it because of promises of a competitive income, inclination for the job be damned.

In general, the pilots who are usually successful in maintaining functional marriages with non-aircrew spouses are the pilots who have enough seniority to hold domicile in the city where their family lives. The ones (the majority) who commute to their airline base, tend to falter in their relationships. Families are usually not content with uprooting to chase the airline domicile changes that happen over the span of a career, so the pilot spouse then resorts to keep the family put where they want to live, and deal by himself with the hardship of commuting to his airline domicile. This is where the stigma of the pilot lifestyle comes from. It certainly isn't for everyone.

Life ain't Burger King. It would be nice if we could all come home at 5:30. Alas, someone's gotta do the tough jobs so the bills get paid and society doesn't grind to a halt. I think some women want it their way all the time. Want fries with that too?
I guess I should have been a bit more clear... The only FAs I personally know are private, not commercial . I know a lot of pilots (waaaay to many... And 75% of my company has at least their private license, and that includes back office and support staff ). And the private pilots I know are pretty good regarding fidelity. It's the commercial pilots that fit my stereotype.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
If it was a fighter pilot, yeah, I could see how that could be sexy.
But isn't a fighter jet just a gun with wings? So why should a fighter pilot be more attractive than an artillery gunner?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
But isn't a fighter jet just a gun with wings? So why should a fighter pilot be more attractive than an artillery gunner?

I think a lot of it just has to do with certain jobs being romanticized. Be it pilots, firemen, musicians, etc. A plumber earns a good living, but how many times have you heard a woman getting all dreamy over a guy fixing toilets?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,716 times
Yep, we all know given even the slightest opportunity a man will cheat because they are all dishonorable at heart and further completely at the mercy of any girl who might spread her legs what with them lacking any conscience whatsoever. Let me get a few more of these guys in here. : smack:

Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I think a lot of it just has to do with certain jobs being romanticized. Be it pilots, firemen, musicians, etc. A plumber earns a good living, but how many times have you heard a woman getting all dreamy over a guy fixing toilets?
Too much crack on board.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,658 times
I'd say Chesley Sullenberger is non-stereotypically humble, despite being a national hero. To the ladies who date pilots, I sincerely hope you meet guys like him.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times
A fighter plane is a penis substitute with wings more like !

However, since it can be a relatively dangerous job, I can understand why women would be drawn to it.
I guess a certain type of guy is drawn toward such a career. Normally young, physically fit, and not short of a buck or two.

In a similar way to they may be drawn to racecar drivers, but not to thae taxi driver in the car next to you.

I think a simple question would have sufficed, the headslap isn't very noble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Yep, we all know given even the slightest opportunity a man will cheat because they are all dishonorable at heart and further completely at the mercy of any girl who might spread her legs what with them lacking any conscience whatsoever. Let me get a few more of these guys in here. : smack:
Aren't you kinda stretching a few sentiments, that some pilots are prone to infidelity, to all men are unfaithful dogs?

You need a parachute with the leap of logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation