Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the same ladies here who claim pilots are arrogant and untrustworhy would say that stewardesses are prone to infidelity and sleeping around as much as male pilots since the opportunity is there.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 11-18-2011 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: PG-13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
THAT....has got to be one of the SILLIEST things I've ever read here. And I've read some damn silly stuff.

hahaha, it is silly huh? I tried, really I have. Something never aligns right. Not sure what it is...meh.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I wonder if the same ladies here who claim pilots are arrogant and untrustworhy would say that stewardesses are prone to infidelity and slutting around as much as male pilots since the opportunity is there.
I know a few flight Attendents and most are too tired to screw around on trips. Im friends with 3 that frequently travel internationally and even though they've been to some amazing places, they rarely actually leave the airport or their hotel. From my knowledge, a FAs job is harder physically than a pilots.

But, most FAs are single and young regardless, because many leave to take care of families once they get married.

Of course, sometimes things work out... My grandfather was an international pilot for pan am back in the day and that's how he met my grandmother, who was a stewardess

Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,119 times
I went out with a pilot back in my college days and sure enough, he had a girlfriend....at least he told me..after our date...what a catch...lol!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I wonder if the same ladies here who claim pilots are arrogant and untrustworhy would say that stewardesses are prone to infidelity and slutting around as much as male pilots since the opportunity is there.
I'm not biased, I know pilots who either claim to screw around or have that reputation with their friends. I only know one stewardess, and I'm pretty sure she never fooled around. In all fairness, I know one pilot who I'm pretty sure doesn't either.

What opinion can I have when I hear the pilots talk of their exploits?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
Pretty scathing review on pilots overall on this thread. It is an interesting passion we (yes I am a pilot and a military one at that, double whammy ) pursue and in many instances the nature of the job is not conducive to a homesteading life. I'm not quite sure if the physical unavailability of these men causes women to adjudicate them as conceited rather than plainly recognizing they put their career first. Certainly, pilots are NOT the only members of the labor force that put their career first, in aggregate. Neither are pilots the only members of the labor force who travel extensively and are gone from home with a great deal of frequency.

As to the FAs.... come on now. JetJockey et al, you know the score. You know female flight attendants are ****. Look at the demographic. Under 30, vocationally underachieving, with a desire to travel and/or live a luggage lifestyle and open to the attention of much older and financially stupid men (airline Captains) and local yokels they justify themselves a nightly romp with under the relative anonymity that is sleeping in a different city every night for 4-5-day trips every week. It's endemic to the lifestyle and these chicks live up to that. Even the older ones and married pursue their indiscretion with great ease. In that respect the female FA archetype portrayed in the movie "up in the air" is spot on, down to the age and family make up. This is not a secret. Everybody in the industry knows it. The regionals are the worst. It's a free for all. Do all of them do it? Of course not, but the 'they're too tired too screw' angle is laughable. Everybody knows the score when the crew gets to the hotel, where all the other crews are also staying (airline hotels are pretty easy to spot). I would say the same thing about FAs as they say about pilots...I'd hang out with them, I sure as heck wouldn't marry one. It is a lifestyle conducive to loneliness on the road and 'work spouse' syndrome, which inevitably fosters infidelity. All that said, it is NOT the only vocation with such proclivities.

As to the rest of the description, I have nothing to disagree with. Pilots are generally not that very well paid in the first 2/3rds of their careers. They tend to have multiple divorces, they tend to marry FAs and other pilots. They do have high opinions of themselves due to the nature of the job; even the douches have demonstrated a nominal technical level of expertise in the operation of turbine aircraft, so that somewhat lends itself to a high opinion of oneself, particularly in the absence of a decent paycheck. All these things may not be to the satisfaction of the traditional woman. Im sure if the gaggle hasn't heard it before, there is such a thing as AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) that gets thrown around amongst pilot circles. And for full disclosure I agree, I wouldn't give up my vocation to appease the company of a woman. Again, I don't think it's fair to single out pilots in this regard. Plenty of professional men who refuse to give up their vocations in order to appease the company of a woman. We have one life to live and we ought to pursue it with genuine passion. Pilots may have a bad reputation, but at least they're pursuing their vocation with a sense of honesty rather than being the miserable nurse that does it because of promises of a competitive income, inclination for the job be damned.

In general, the pilots who are usually successful in maintaining functional marriages with non-aircrew spouses are the pilots who have enough seniority to hold domicile in the city where their family lives. The ones (the majority) who commute to their airline base, tend to falter in their relationships. Families are usually not content with uprooting to chase the airline domicile changes that happen over the span of a career, so the pilot spouse then resorts to keep the family put where they want to live, and deal by himself with the hardship of commuting to his airline domicile. This is where the stigma of the pilot lifestyle comes from. It certainly isn't for everyone.

Life ain't Burger King. It would be nice if we could all come home at 5:30. Alas, someone's gotta do the tough jobs so the bills get paid and society doesn't grind to a halt. I think some women want it their way all the time. Want fries with that too?

Last edited by sunshineleith; 11-18-2011 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: PG-13 please

Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
I must admit, I've never seen the attraction of women toward airline pilots.

I mean, it's just a bus with wings.

I bet you don't hit on your bus driver after the commute, or have fantasies about train drivers in uniform.
They all do exactly the same thing, just in different ways.

Proportionately, I bet there are just as many attractive bus and train drivers as airline pilots.
Most airline pilots I've met have been middle aged, slightly podgy and grey haired !

If it was a fighter pilot, yeah, I could see how that could be sexy.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:29 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
...As to the FAs.... come on now. JetJockey et al, you know the score. You know female flight attendants are ****. Look at the demographic. Under 30, vocationally underachieving, with a desire to travel and/or live a luggage lifestyle and open to the attention of much older and financially stupid men (airline Captains) and local yokels they justify themselves a nightly romp with under the relative anonymity that is sleeping in a different city every night for 4-5-day trips every week. It's endemic to the lifestyle and these chicks live up to that. Even the older ones and married pursue their indiscretion with great ease. In that respect the female FA archetype portrayed in the movie "up in the air" is spot on, down to the age and family make up. This is not a secret. Everybody in the industry knows it. The regionals are the worst. It's a free for all. Do all of them do it? Of course not, but the 'they're too tired too screw' angle is laughable. Everybody knows the score when the crew gets to the hotel, where all the other crews are also staying (airline hotels are pretty easy to spot). I would say the same thing about FAs as they say about pilots...I'd hang out with them, I sure as heck wouldn't marry one. It is a lifestyle conducive to loneliness on the road and 'work spouse' syndrome, which inevitably fosters infidelity. All that said, it is NOT the only vocation with such proclivities....
Well first of all, according to statistics, the average age of American flight attendants is mid-40's, not "under 30" - in fact 80% of flight attendants are over 35.

As for your assertion regarding the high cheating rate amongst flight attendants, from what I have heard, that is equally true - but that wasn't the OP's question. She was asking about pilots.

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2009/usf...ttendants.aspx

Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well first of all, according to statistics, the average age of American flight attendants is mid-40's, not "under 30" - in fact 80% of flight attendants are over 35.

As for your assertion regarding the high cheating rate amongst flight attendants, from what I have heard, that is equally true - but that wasn't the OP's question. She was asking about pilots.

The Changing Demography of U.S. Flight Attendants - Population Reference Bureau
Indeed, I should have qualified that the demographic of flight attendant I described was the one working for a regional airline. It is true that mainline FAs are old as dirt,this is so from having the same seniority based date of hire system as pilots. One has to look at Asian or international carriers to find a young face amongst FAs in aggregate. That all said, it does not dimish their proclivity towards pursuing infidelity. That was my ultimate point about FAs. And yes the OP asked about pilots, I was responding to the question posed by another poster later in the thread. My apologies if I didn't quote him for better clarity

Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I must admit, I've never seen the attraction of women toward airline pilots.

I mean, it's just a bus with wings.

I bet you don't hit on your bus driver after the commute, or have fantasies about train drivers in uniform.
They all do exactly the same thing, just in different ways.

Proportionately, I bet there are just as many attractive bus and train drivers as airline pilots.
Most airline pilots I've met have been middle aged, slightly podgy and grey haired !

If it was a fighter pilot, yeah, I could see how that could be sexy.
Yea a bus driver can make a few little mistakes on a trip and nothing happens. Or if a bus drivers engine goes out he pulls to the side of the road. What happens when pilots make mistakes or their engines go out? Bus and train conducters have years and years of training with strict medical test? Lets not get to carried away here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation