Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times

Advertisements

Would it be more horrifying to be strapped into an airplane seat in a 500 mph nose dive toward the earth or lying face down in a guillotine waiting for the blade to drop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I have often thought that same question. Don't know the answer. I would hope that people didn't realize it and it was over before they were aware of anything-fear, pain, etc.

And yes, I am afraid to fly but do anyway because I love my husband. (Long story.)

Cat

Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
I would like to think that in this particular tragedy death was almost instantaneous. Some of the crash scene photos coming out are horrific. In one photo a body has crashed through a roof into someone's bedroom.

Another sad aspect of this situation is that there will probably never be any punishment or reasonable compensation for the passenger's families. The Ukraine rebels appear to be destroying evidence at the crash site and even looting the scene.

Russia, Ukraine and the Rebels are all denying any responsibility. Neither the Netherlands or Malaysia have the kind of military or diplomatic clout to pursue justice for their people.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 PM

323 posts, read 499,391 times
My late fighter pilot father had 56 seconds to think about it. Of course he was scrambling to regain control.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
This article sort of answers your questions for MH17:

Moment of impact: MH17's final seconds

Old 07-19-2014, 01:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
This article sort of answers your questions for MH17:

Moment of impact: MH17's final seconds
worked on a surface-to-air guided missile system in the navy and we were generally led to believe that the basic intent of the warhead was to explode nearby (up to a few hundred feet away) the target and that the force of that explosion would be enough to bring the aircraft down. The one live exercise we did partake in resulted in a skin-to-skin hit, destroying the drone and wrecking an expensive piece of US Gov't property.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
As others have said, it depends on the circumstances, but in most cases many of the passengers do know what's happening and how it's going to turn out for them. In this case, I think most of the passengers were fully aware of what was happening for some time after the missile detonated, and some of them may have been alive when the plane hit the ground.

The plane was apparently taken down by a Russian SA-11 surface-to-air missile, which is a radar-guided missile with a proximity fuse. The way that type of missile works is that the warhead detonates when it gets within a certain distance from its target, and the fragments strike the plane somewhat like a giant shotgun blast. The target is generally destroyed one of three ways - either the engine or flight control systems are too badly damaged for the plane to continue to operate, the fuel tanks explode, or the plane is so badly damaged that it is torn apart either by the speed of the plane or explosive decompression of the cabin.

From what I've read, it sounds as though this plane stayed together for some seconds after being hit, and that even after it came apart, some pieces were large enough that passengers could have still been alive inside. At 33,000 feet, they may have briefly lost consciousness from lack of oxygen, but the plane wasn't at 33,000 feet long enough for them to have totally blacked out. I suspect some of them were conscious when they hit the ground.

As a general answer to the question, unless the plane is totally destroyed in mid-air or is damaged at a high enough altitude to cause the plane to decompress, there will often - perhaps even usually - be at least some passengers who live long enough to know what's happening to them. One of the most horrifying examples of that is JAL 123, the 747 that crashed in 1985 after losing its rudder. The pilots fought for a half hour to regain enough directional control of the plane to aim it at a landing strip, but they failed, and eventually slammed into the side of a mountain.

Incredibly, 4 people managed to survive, but 520 were killed. The survivors told a chilling tale of that last half hour; the passengers were crying, weeping, even screaming hysterically, and many took the time to write goodbye notes to their loved ones and wrap them inside of wet towels to keep them from being burned in the crash. That's a pretty damned hard way to go, if you ask me.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:39 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I would like to think that in this particular tragedy death was almost instantaneous. Some of the crash scene photos coming out are horrific. In one photo a body has crashed through a roof into someone's bedroom.

Another sad aspect of this situation is that there will probably never be any punishment or reasonable compensation for the passenger's families. The Ukraine rebels appear to be destroying evidence at the crash site and even looting the scene.

Russia, Ukraine and the Rebels are all denying any responsibility. Neither the Netherlands or Malaysia have the kind of military or diplomatic clout to pursue justice for their people.
I don't understand why the army isn't sent in.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:57 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Could ask the survivors of the 1974 crash in the Andes, made famous by the book and two movies called "Alive!".

Another chilling account is the flight attendant on AA11 on 9/11/01 talking to someone and saying she can see Manhattan and that they are very low... and then just before impact she says "Oh my God" as if she realized what they were about to do.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
It really depends on the situation.

On one extreme, there are situations like Air New Zealand flight 901 in 1979. This was a sightseeing tour over Antarctica. Apparently, an effective visual white-out result in a controlled flight into terrain - the terrain in question being Mount Erebus. The result was that there was no time for any drastic action to alarm the passengers. Everyone died on impact.

In that case, there would have been no realization from the passengers.

On the other hand, consider the case of Juliane Koepcke. On a flight over the Amazon in 1971, she describes bad turbulence, the plane going into a dive, and then after the aircraft broke up (at about 10,000') she describes free-falling and being aware of the sight of the jungle far below her. She then lost consciousness.

But she did survive with comparatively minor injuries and made it out after over a week alone in the rainforest.

BBC News - Juliane Koepcke: How I survived a plane crash

Anyway, if you have hundreds of people on an aircraft that suffers some sort of catastrophic mid-air disaster, often the situation will be that by sheer numbers some people are going to survive long enough to have a very clear awareness that they're going down and unlikely to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation