Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 PM

91 posts, read 196,121 times

Advertisements

Sorry to put in such a morbid query but this has made me ponder quite a bit.
What is your opinion? Do plane crash victims have time to realize that they are dying? Is it a painful feeling or as many say, it's over so fast they don't realize anything?
If a plane bursts over an ocean how harrowing would it be for the passengers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
What is your opinion? Do plane crash victims have time to realize that they are dying? Is it a painful feeling or as many say, it's over so fast they don't realize anything?
the good new is that a couple of seconds will seem like an eternity, but unfortunately that's also the bad news too

Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the good new is that a couple of seconds will seem like an eternity, but unfortunately that's also the bad news too
You made me laugh.

As for the op, I think they may know that something is wrong and depending on how long it takes for the events to unfold they may know that they are in danger.

The Malaysian plane that was just targeted, I doubt they saw it coming or had a chance to experience fear. At least I hope that is the case.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
It would depend on the nature of the event. In some cases they are acutely aware, in others they wouldn't know before it's all over.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:47 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I saw somewhere where the news said some of the victims were still strapped in, and wearing headphones. It's almost like the didn't know.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:38 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
I'm glad this question was asked, because I have often wondered the same. It seems like the fear would almost be second to the effect on the stomach of a fast descent.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:41 AM

7,635 posts, read 8,705,627 times
It varies greatly, depending on so many factors.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 AM

542 posts, read 691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
After MH370 story broke I read up on a lot of plane crashes. (Wish I hadn't, as I was already afraid to fly.) In a lot of cases where the plane was just run into something like a mountainside or a swamp by mistake, then no, I don't think the passengers were aware of anything. At high speeds you're dead before you realize there's a problem. In other cases, where the plane had major problems in the air, then yeah, I think people had to be aware things were serious, and that death was incoming.

If you're really curious, you can check out the wikipedia page for Alaska Air 261. It includes an animation of what the plane did in its final nosedive before it crashed in the ocean. (If you are afraid of flying, or rollercoasters, don't watch it.) It did two nosedives; the first one they were able to recover from.

And then if you're curious about flight TWA 800, there's this short CNN piece.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:46 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I saw some interviews with the people on Scully's flight, the USAirways flight that landed in the Hudson and they mostly all said they knew it was their final moments and were shocked they survived.

I have watched the documentary on TWA Flight 800 that broke in half over Long Island and the Atlantic and that was particularly gruesome. I believe after the cockpit broke off the plane, it continued to climb. Cannot imagine what these people were thinking.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
If a plane exploded in mid-air, there's no way the passengers would know in advance. If the plane were to malfunction and fall from the sky, then yes passengers would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation