Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It really depends on the situation.

On one extreme, there are situations like Air New Zealand flight 901 in 1979. This was a sightseeing tour over Antarctica. Apparently, an effective visual white-out result in a controlled flight into terrain - the terrain in question being Mount Erebus. The result was that there was no time for any drastic action to alarm the passengers. Everyone died on impact.

In that case, there would have been no realization from the passengers.

On the other hand, consider the case of Juliane Koepcke. On a flight over the Amazon in 1971, she describes bad turbulence, the plane going into a dive, and then after the aircraft broke up (at about 10,000') she describes free-falling and being aware of the sight of the jungle far below her. She then lost consciousness.

But she did survive with comparatively minor injuries and made it out after over a week alone in the rainforest.

BBC News - Juliane Koepcke: How I survived a plane crash

Anyway, if you have hundreds of people on an aircraft that suffers some sort of catastrophic mid-air disaster, often the situation will be that by sheer numbers some people are going to survive long enough to have a very clear awareness that they're going down and unlikely to survive.
It is amazing that people can survive this type of accident. Look up the details of the Pan Am flight that was bombed over Scotland. They found one flight attended alive, they found several other people later that appeared to have survived but later died of exposure. They had landed in tall grass and had crawled several meters before dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM

551 posts, read 582,631 times
Quote:
On the other hand, consider the case of Juliane Koepcke. On a flight over the Amazon in 1971, she describes bad turbulence, the plane going into a dive, and then after the aircraft broke up (at about 10,000') she describes free-falling and being aware of the sight of the jungle far below her. She then lost consciousness.

But she did survive with comparatively minor injuries and made it out after over a week alone in the rainforest.

Anyway, if you have hundreds of people on an aircraft that suffers some sort of catastrophic mid-air disaster, often the situation will be that by sheer numbers some people are going to survive long enough to have a very clear awareness that they're going down and unlikely to survive.
Oh My LORD...Juliane's story is incredible. How horrifying. I can not believe she survived that kind of trauma, but I guess the jungle canopy "softened" her impact?? Anyways thanks for that Unsettomati, very interesting and intense read.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:

On one extreme, there are situations like Air New Zealand flight 901 in 1979. This was a sightseeing tour over Antarctica. Apparently, an effective visual white-out result in a controlled flight into terrain - the terrain in question being Mount Erebus. The result was that there was no time for any drastic action to alarm the passengers. Everyone died on impact.

I cannot imagine surviving a 2 mile free fall. Wow.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:44 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

I remember reading her story when I was a kid. I think the maggots are what stayed with me most when I read it the first time.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I bet that one that took off in Brazil and was headed to France...yeah, I think they knew. They knew everything.
Same with the 9/11 planes.

I hope to god the missile that took this recent flight was mercifully quick.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading her story when I was a kid. I think the maggots are what stayed with me most when I read it the first time.
They probably kept her wound clean.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:04 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I bet that one that took off in Brazil and was headed to France...yeah, I think they knew. They knew everything.
I do not believe that they knew.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Oh they knew. In stormy weather, aircraft stalling, falling, pilots trying to control it, abrupt pitch and bank changes, drastic airspeed changes.. It would have been nightmare on the way down.

Air France Flight 447 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They probably kept her wound clean.
Interesting.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That plane was up and down over and over prior to hitting the ocean. They knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation