Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 04:19 PM

33,396 posts, read 12,701,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Brooks Robinson died today, he was 86. Spent a whole career with one team, won numerous awards, and was a fixture in Baltimore.

I saw him once in person at the Hollywood Theater in Arbutus, MD, where I grew up. It was about 1957 or 1958. I can't recall the reason he was there, might've been the movie Damn Yankees, but he was resplendent in a 3-piece suit with gold watch and chain.

Excerpt from Wiki:

A 15-time All-Star, he won 16 consecutive Gold Glove Awards, setting a record later tied by Jim Kaat and broken by Greg Maddux. His 2,870 career games at third base not only exceeded the closest player by nearly 700 games when he retired, but also remain the most games by any player in major league history at a single position. His 23 seasons spent with a single team set a major league record since matched only by Carl Yastrzemski. . . . .
Loved watching him play when the Orioles would play the A's .

RIP, Brooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 04:27 PM

26,308 posts, read 49,249,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Early last Saturday the Orioles weren't getting enough love from ESPN analytics. There was a post that gave the odds for various scenarios (including winning the World Series) for the potential teams.

The top two teams percentage chance wise re winning the World Series were the Braves and the Dodgers, both at 23%.

Next....the Rays and the Astros at 8%.
I think the O's have been down for so long that this year's team don't get no respect.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:44 PM

More on the passing of Brooks Robinson. He was fixture in the lives of Oriole fans for 22 years.

This link will get you past the paywall and into the NY Times article on him. Great story and pix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/26/s...smid=url-share

Enjoy!

Old 09-27-2023, 12:13 PM

17,722 posts, read 15,478,174 times
Quote:
I think the O's have been down for so long that this year's team don't get no respect.

Respect is earned.. Not given.

That being said.. They certainly have done enough this year that anyone who doesn't give them the proper respect will likely regret it.

The odds are.. Baltimore gets the bye, then they play the winner of TB/Toronto.. They're 10-3 against Toronto and 8-5 vs Tampa.. So.. good shot there.

I fully expect them to get to the ALCS.. How they do there.. Not sure. But I wouldn't be shocked if they won it.

Quote:
More on the passing of Brooks Robinson. He was fixture in the lives of Oriole fans for 22 years.

This link will get you past the paywall and into the NY Times article on him. Great story and pix.

Enjoy!

Defensively.. I'd say he was the best third baseman to ever play the game.

I'm sure for ages people can and will argue whether, overall, he or Schmidt was the best third baseman ever, when you take offense into the equation. But no one was better defensively at third.

You could bring Brett into the conversation as well, but.. In my eyes.. While a great player, he's not in the same breath as Schmidt and Robinson. There's a reason those two were the third basemen on the All Century Team.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:15 PM
JRR

8,237 posts, read 5,732,842 times
Quote:
Brooks Robinson died today, he was 86. Spent a whole career with one team, won numerous awards, and was a fixture in Baltimore.

I saw him once in person at the Hollywood Theater in Arbutus, MD, where I grew up. It was about 1957 or 1958. I can't recall the reason he was there, might've been the movie Damn Yankees, but he was resplendent in a 3-piece suit with gold watch and chain.

Excerpt from Wiki:

A 15-time All-Star, he won 16 consecutive Gold Glove Awards, setting a record later tied by Jim Kaat and broken by Greg Maddux. His 2,870 career games at third base not only exceeded the closest player by nearly 700 games when he retired, but also remain the most games by any player in major league history at a single position. His 23 seasons spent with a single team set a major league record since matched only by Carl Yastrzemski. . . . .
I'll always remember when I lived in Vero Beach FL and went over to Dodgertown for spring training games. I used to wait for the players walking to the clubhouse after the games for an autograph. Brooks not only gave me an autograph but talked to me for a few minutes about playing baseball. Heck of a nice guy to a 12 year old kid.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:00 PM

Here's what my sister sent me about one other Oriole player from that golden age (1960s - 1970s).

"...when hubby had his spinal fusion at Kernan's hospital, Dave McNally came in to see him and the 2 other men in his room. The nurse said Dave McNally stopped in every room and spoke to every patient. ... At that time Kernan's was the orthopedic hospital of choice for all the professional teams. It was the number 1 orthopedic in Maryland ..."

Per this page in Wiki, it was game 3 of the 1970 World Series where Dave McNally pitched a complete game 9-hitter AND hit a grand slam in the sixth inning. Can’t make this stuff up. IIRC I got two tix from my employer at the time, Domino Sugar, and gave them to my parents who enjoyed the game. My Dad was at the concession stand getting a hot dog for my Mom when McNally hit the slam. In those day to get tix people usually had to go to the stadium, which I did before the season opened and buy tix for summer games against the Yankees. I got what I always thought were the best seats in the house; upper deck, front row, right behind home plate and right over top the press booth below me on the mezzanine level. IIRC those tix set me back all of $5 each. Memorial Stadium is long gone but holds priceless memories of watching the Orioles and the Baltimore Colts with Johnny Unitas. Yeah, those were the days!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-28-2023 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-28-2023, 12:53 PM

4,888 posts, read 6,992,696 times
Quote:
Here's what my sister sent me about one other Oriole player from that golden age (1960s - 1970s).

"...when hubby had his spinal fusion at Kernan's hospital, Dave McNally came in to see him and the 2 other men in his room. The nurse said Dave McNally stopped in every room and spoke to every patient. ... At that time Kernan's was the orthopedic hospital of choice for all the professional teams. It was the number 1 orthopedic in Maryland ..."

Per this page in Wiki, it was game 3 of the 1970 World Series where Dave McNally pitched a complete game 9-hitter AND hit a grand slam in the sixth inning. Can’t make this stuff up. IIRC I got two tix from my employer at the time, Domino Sugar, and gave them to my parents who enjoyed the game. My Dad was at the concession stand getting a hot dog for my Mom when McNally hit the slam. In those day to get tix people usually had to go to the stadium, which I did before the season opened and buy tix for summer games against the Yankees. I got what I always thought were the best seats in the house; upper deck, front row, right behind home plate and right over top the press booth below me on the mezzanine level. IIRC those tix set me back all of $5 each. Memorial Stadium is long gone but holds priceless memories of watching the Orioles and the Baltimore Colts with Johnny Unitas. Yeah, those were the days!
Oh, how I can relate. I saw my first Twins game when I was around 9 years old (I think it was 1964. Yes, I'm that old). Already a baseball crazed kid. When we walked out to the 2nd deck behind home plate to watch my Twins play the hated Yankees, I saw the greenest grass field and perfect infield that I could ever imagine. Totally packed stadium. So,THIS is what heaven looks like.

I remember the Orioles well from that era too. Especially the four, 20 game winners from 1971. Pat Dobson, Dave McNally, Mike Cueller, and Jim Palmer. Hasn't been done since and probably never will be.

Last edited by jmgg; 09-28-2023 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-28-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
... I remember the Orioles well from that era too. Especially the four, 20 game winners from 1971. Pat Dobson, Dave McNally, Mike Cueller, and Jim Palmer. Hasn't been done since and probably never will be.
Yes, that was quite a feat. My first game was in 1957, it was awesome, and I wrote about it in post #1 of this thread. Yes, it was also about playing against the hated Yankees.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:35 PM

The Orioles beat Boston tonight, clinching the AL East Division crown. In case of a tie with Tampa Bay, the tiebreaker goes to Baltimore who beat Tampa Bay in head to head play this season. To have a tie, the Orioles would have to lose all 3 upcoming games with Boston and Tampa Bay would have to sweep their 3 upcoming games with Toronto. That would give each team a 100-62 record with the tie going to Baltimore.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:33 PM

33,396 posts, read 12,701,206 times
Classy move by the Orioles today to have a moment of silence at the ballpark to honor former Red Sox (and Pirates) pitcher Tim Wakefield, who just passed away from brain cancer at the age of 57.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...efield-dies-57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball