Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 09:41 PM

26,300 posts, read 49,239,558 times

Advertisements

Good article in today's WaPo about Cal Ripken and "the streak." The 25th anniversary of the streak is coming up.

Excerpt: “My dad taught that being ‘an everyday player’ is literally every day,” Ripken said. “My rookie year reinforced it. We tied the Brewers after 161 games. But we lost the last game of the season.” After missing that trip to the AL Championship Series “we kept asking ourselves, ‘Where could we have made up that one game?’ Well, playing every day might help.” The search for that one extra win matters most when the challenge is hardest. “We played a 15-inning game in Boston one night, then had an early game the next day — 11 a.m. because of the Boston Marathon, I think,” Ripken said. “I was about 0 for 20, and Roger [Clemens] was pitching. That’s the game to take off, right? “No. I got two hits, singled to drive in the go-ahead run and we beat him. The game was most gratifying when you pushed yourself through.”

Another example of why I'm an Orioles fan, no matter where I live.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 09:04 PM

52,764 posts, read 48,138,117 times
Even though I still believe this was a good acquisition for the Orioles, Cole Irvin is off to a shaky start.

Meanwhile, the O's did deliver for the home fans in their home opener.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ori...23-home-opener

Old 07-20-2023, 07:48 PM

O's now in first place in the AL East after Tampa held that all season. They beat Tampa Bay tonight by playing small ball in the 10th. The ghost runner on 2nd base got to third on a sac bunt then scored on a long fly ball out. Whatever works.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:54 AM

4,886 posts, read 6,988,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
O's now in first place in the AL East after Tampa held that all season. They beat Tampa Bay tonight by playing small ball in the 10th. The ghost runner on 2nd base got to third on a sac bunt then scored on a long fly ball out. Whatever works.
Orioles are a fun team to watch. What a turnaround.

I hope they win the AL East.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:39 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,013,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Same. It's fun to see them winning for all the losing they've done over the last 3 decades.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:13 PM

52,764 posts, read 48,138,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

This was the type of thing I had been expecting when Mike Elias became GM in Baltimore. He's approaching this much like he had when he assisted Jeff Luhnow in Houston a decade ago. What he brings to the Orioles is what Oriole fans hope will become a sustainable winner. And that's a game-changer in a division previously owned by the Yankees.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:10 AM

O's made just one move at the end of the trade deadline, that being to acquire starting pitcher Jack Flaherty from St. Louis. The team is going to roll with the team they have rather than make a bid for a superstar.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:33 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,013,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
O's made just one move at the end of the trade deadline, that being to acquire starting pitcher Jack Flaherty from St. Louis. The team is going to roll with the team they have rather than make a bid for a superstar.
Smart move. Why disrupt the team chemistry when you don't have to?

Old 08-08-2023, 12:35 PM

Today's NY Times did a feature length article on this year's Orioles team.

Title: A New Generation of Oriole Magic
Sub Title: One of the youngest and cheapest rosters in Major League Baseball has powered Baltimore to the best record in the American League. The Orioles are just getting started.

Excerpts:

- "Between innings, the scoreboard showed clips from the Orioles’ last championship clincher, 40 years ago this fall. When the game resumed, the current players did a sharp imitation. . Flawless defense, stingy pitching, clutch hitting, heady baserunning. A sold-out crowd. Fireworks. A splash zone in the outfield stands — the Bird Bath — to hose down fans after big hits. Another win for the best team in the American League. Oriole Magic, revisited."

- After a weekend sweep of the moribund Mets, the Orioles stood at 70-42, atop the A.L. They are doing it with a $70 million roster — only Pittsburgh and Oakland spend less — stocked with blossoming prospects, value-priced imports and a few regulars under 30 years old who weathered a deep rebuild. “It happened a little faster than I thought, honestly,” said first baseman Ryan Mountcastle, whom Baltimore selected out of high school in the first round eight years ago."

There's a ton more info in the article to tell who led this turnaround and how he did it.

This link will get you past the paywall. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/07/s...smid=url-share

Old 08-11-2023, 09:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 15,462,304 times
What the hell is this with this whole Kevin Brown situation?

His statement today.. Or his posts on social media.. Really seem to further backup that he was suspended for that graphic. And it makes management look even worse.

Why don't they just come out and say "We screwed up"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball