Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM

26,266 posts, read 49,177,773 times

Advertisements

Lee MacPhail, one of the all time great GMs for the Orioles has died. Full details in NY TIMES.

Excerpt: Mr. MacPhail left the Yankees to become general manager of the Orioles in 1959. He developed a farm system in Baltimore that produced the Hall of Famer Jim Palmer, and he engineered the trade that brought the Hall of Fame slugger Frank Robinson from the Reds after the 1965 season. The Orioles won their first pennant in 1966, then swept the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series.

Baseball was nicer game 50 years ago when MacPhail was in/around the game. The toughest incident he had to deal with was the "pine tar" incident in 1983, a far cry from today's drug scandals.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,282,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The toughest incident he had to deal with was the "pine tar" incident in 1983, a far cry from today's drug scandals.

RIP Lee McPhail, but he was entirely wrong on his ruling in the Pine Tar Incident. Brett was out per the rules that were in force at the time. I think that McPhail's ruling was based on the perception that "nice guy" George Brett was being victimized by "bad guy" Billy Martin waiting to apply rules 6.06(a), 2.00 "Illegally batted ball", and 1.10, when it was to his advantage. I'd say that if the manager involved had been Tommy Lasorda, and the batter Dave Kingman, the umpire's ruling would have been upheld.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,208,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
RIP Lee McPhail, but he was entirely wrong on his ruling in the Pine Tar Incident. Brett was out per the rules that were in force at the time. I think that McPhail's ruling was based on the perception that "nice guy" George Brett was being victimized by "bad guy" Billy Martin waiting to apply rules 6.06(a), 2.00 "Illegally batted ball", and 1.10, when it was to his advantage. I'd say that if the manager involved had been Tommy Lasorda, and the batter Dave Kingman, the umpire's ruling would have been upheld.
It is actually a point of view dynamic. McPhail's reasoning was that the umpire's interpretation was in violation of the intent of the rule. The rule had been crafted entirely for economic purposes. Bats with pine tar near their hitting surfaces left black marks on the balls which then had to be removed from the game. To reduce the number of balls being consumed, the length of the pine tar coating was limited.

McPhail pointed out that Brett had gained no sort of competitive advantage from the pine tar and that the only harm which resulted was the increased risk of the need for new baseballs.

In short, McPhail judged the situation, not the rule. He delivered what he thought was justice, not merely robotic, literal enforcement of the rule.

I find that more admirable than someone who is welded to letter of the law while seemingly ignorant of its purpose.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,282,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is actually a point of view dynamic. McPhail's reasoning was that the umpire's interpretation was in violation of the intent of the rule. The rule had been crafted entirely for economic purposes. Bats with pine tar near their hitting surfaces left black marks on the balls which then had to be removed from the game. To reduce the number of balls being consumed, the length of the pine tar coating was limited.

McPhail pointed out that Brett had gained no sort of competitive advantage from the pine tar and that the only harm which resulted was the increased risk of the need for new baseballs.

In short, McPhail judged the situation, not the rule. He delivered what he thought was justice, not merely robotic, literal enforcement of the rule.

I find that more admirable than someone who is welded to letter of the law while seemingly ignorant of its purpose.

Like I said, I think that the people involved were the determining factors.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:06 PM

26,266 posts, read 49,177,773 times
I grew up loving the Os and I always will, but I'm throwing in the towel today on the 2013 season as they just can't get 'er done when they have to.

They recently lost 3 of 4 to the Yankees at Camden Yards, and if they can't beat a good team at home then they aren't good playoff material.

The Os lost an 18-inning heart breaker last night to the Rays and today dropped another game to Tampa which puts them 4 games out in the wild card race with only 8 games to go. Their record is 81-73 (.526) which isn't good enough in MLB where the true contenders play near the .600 mark.

Sorry, but IMO it's over for the Os this year, but it was a very good year just the same.

Looking forward to post season and some good baseball; hopeful of a world series without the Yankees.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:34 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,272,326 times
Can't believe that this Orioles thread hasn't been updated since 2013.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,255,703 times
Well, as we wait for the ALCS to start in Baltimore on Friday, we can resume the discussion, can't we?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,272,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Well, as we wait for the ALCS to start in Baltimore on Friday, we can resume the discussion, can't we?
Sure enough, but the Birds had a season much better than expected, then they sweep the "Taggers" (Baltimore pronunciation), but nary a comment.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,649,653 times
Nationals fan here.

Way to go for your team! I'd love to see the O's in the World Series and I'm rooting for them in the ALCS all the way. Just one more step to go for them!

Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 AM

1,812 posts, read 1,971,982 times
I received an email from the Orioles, and seeing the title "registering for a postseason ticket opportunity", I knew that I hadn't won before opening it up. Of course there is always the World Series (don't count on any public ticket sales as I'd find the odds of getting through lower than registering). That said, I really feel that the ALCS is important to me, as my username indicates, I've never been around to see the O's win a pennant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball