Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Shots fired out of Chicago. I can't believe they blasted him the way they did on the way out the door and wondering if it'll affect his potential future employment.
This is professional sports we're talking about. Everyone gets second chances. And a third. And a fourth. And....

Like I said it's like a game of musical chairs, same old tired pool of coaches get recycled in and out every year.

A coach's career is very predictable.

After a few years away from coaching, doing things like tv analyst, someone like van gundy will then be hired as a coach to much fan fare and dreams of grandeur. Then after a few years, and the welcome is worn out, get unceremoniously fired. Then back to tv reporter. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Look at Scott Skiles. He's worn out his welcome in every team he's coached, yet here he is again the front runner of the Magic coaching job.

By the way, I like the way some news reporters were trying to angle it as if it was solely Bulls management unfairly against Thibs, as if somehow he had the 'respect' and 'loyalty' of his players. As one NBC sports report discussed, it was said that three Bulls starters ripped on Thibs during exit interviews. He wasn't very well liked by some of his own players, that speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think it's safe to say his unemployment will be short-lived. I think he'd be a perfect fit in New Orleans, and could transform their good young team into a Conference Finals contender.
Any thoughts?

I am still trying to understand what is the big hype about him since he had a 23-28 record in the postseason. Yes he was a coach whose team made the playoffs but he didn't have a lot of success once he got there which is one of the main reasons he was probably fired.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,291 times
No Thibodeau to the Pelicans. New Orleans "have chosen" instead Alvin Gentry, Golden State assistant. The Warriors will be losing an excellent assistant coach, hate to see him go.

New Orleans Pelicans to hire Alvin Gentry as next coach - CBSSports.com

Old 05-30-2015, 10:31 PM

906 posts, read 711,920 times
Lol, the dude from the suns? Thibs would have been a better choice

Old 05-31-2015, 02:04 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Wow, he was allowed to interview in the middle of a playoff run?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:26 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Thibs to Knicks, Sixers or Nuggets?

Old 01-05-2021, 11:52 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Needs to learn how to not overwork his players
Well, wanted to revive this thread since I went through this whole basketball forum and couldn't find a "official NY Knicks" thread. Anyway, Thibs still is killing his favorite players. Right now, Randle and Barrett are the workhorse tandem. He keeps them on the floor. For good reason, I suppose, since others haven't stepped up consistently. At least he's giving young players like Quickley and Knox auditions. We'll see if Thibs can soften his ways.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Here's the thing about Randle. I wonder if he's good not playing on a bad team or during a contract year. Being paired with Thibs, if he can stay healthy, he can get signed to another sizeable contract from another team, or New York. I believe he's on a 3/$60 million right now on his second year. He's been a good player, but he's never been considered a piece to build around. Will he just be that player who gets paid to put up empty stats on teams that aren't going anywhere? The verdict is still out on Randle and I'm hopeful that he can turn into a guy you build around.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:40 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Here's the thing about Randle. I wonder if he's good not playing on a bad team or during a contract year. Being paired with Thibs, if he can stay healthy, he can get signed to another sizeable contract from another team, or New York. I believe he's on a 3/$60 million right now on his second year. He's been a good player, but he's never been considered a piece to build around. Will he just be that player who gets paid to put up empty stats on teams that aren't going anywhere? The verdict is still out on Randle and I'm hopeful that he can turn into a guy you build around.
Dont think that will ever happen. Guys you can build around either have to be multidimensional with lots to offer (eg Lebron) or amazingly good at one thing (Curry shooting, Gobert defense etc). Randle isnt amazing at anything and he's pretty much just an undersized energy guy. He cant initiate offense for the team, is not a good passer, not known for his defensive prowess. He's just a slightly above average big. NEVER someone to build a franchise around.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:41 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Well, wanted to revive this thread since I went through this whole basketball forum and couldn't find a "official NY Knicks" thread. Anyway, Thibs still is killing his favorite players. Right now, Randle and Barrett are the workhorse tandem. He keeps them on the floor. For good reason, I suppose, since others haven't stepped up consistently. At least he's giving young players like Quickley and Knox auditions. We'll see if Thibs can soften his ways.
I still cant figure out how Thibodeau never seems to run out of jobs while Mark Jackson never got another sniff after GSW. It's not like Thibs has won anything either (and as we all know kills his players on the court). I just dont get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball