Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times

Advertisements

You missed the part about the thriving city? The article hit on a lot of points about developments in the city's core.

Also, just as an aside... to call Birmingham thriving seems like a stretch at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
This comment in the response section stands out to me. Hopefully it is true.

Quote:
I looked up the BLS non-farm employment for metropolitan B'ham, Chattanooga, Memphis, Huntsville, and Louisville. I took the average monthly number of jobs in each market for each year back to 2011 and through 2015. Louisville is the only one that stands out. Birmingham increased the job base by 5.24% - 25.9K jobs. Chattanooga added 5.0% - 11.6k jobs. Huntsville added 4.8% - 10.0K jobs. Memphis added 4.4% - 26.2K jobs. Louisville added 10.5% - 61.4K jobs. Even if you look at just 2015-2014, B'ham added 8,100 to 5,800 for Chattanooga and 2,750 for Huntsville.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:56 PM

I had no idea these two buildings were empty or for the most part empty for this long.

Good news for Colonnade. +1700 to the daytime population there making space that much more a premium. And it brings them all into Birmingham city limits.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ldings-at.html

Last edited by Tourian; 03-29-2016 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 01:10 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Just another example of reshuffling wealth around the metro area. It will really do nothing for the metro area unless jobs are created.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:26 PM

If it were up to me and I had to choose between reshuffling that spreads jobs out in the suburbs and pushes development further and further out as opposed to bringing them inward to the core city, I will choose the latter. Even if it is on 280, Birmingham will reap that benefit.

Just a year ago that was an empty hospital and two big (mostly) empty office buildings. Downtown had plenty of empty buildings. Now more are being utilized. More density, less sprawl. It is better.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Just a year ago that was an empty hospital and two big (mostly) empty office buildings. Downtown had plenty of empty buildings. Now more are being utilized. More density, less sprawl. It is better.

except now there's an empty hospital near my house, much closer to the core, as a result.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:04 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,339,115 times
Actually it can be a precursor to growth in the fact that it fills larger hard to market buildings while freeing space in smaller buildings that also occupy prime desirable areas.

The smaller buildings will be much easier to market. Cities can bring in new jobs and also grow what they have. Both are attractive. At this point, the jobs that are coming into the area are not as noticeable because they have to follow the availability of large level tracks of land and some are even mandated to be a certain distance from the city center due to the EPA rules.

It's far smarter to keep doing what we are doing than building new buildings while current ones go half filled. It would surprise a few to know how many empty buildings stand in booming cities. But that is an argument I have information on but still don't want to participate, so I won't.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,339,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
except now there's an empty hospital near my house, much closer to the core, as a result.
And it was in a residential area with horrible access. And pity the people from out of town trying to get to that place in a hurry.

Hard to believe anyone ever thought that was an appropriate place for such a development. I suspect they targeted Mountain Brook and then it lost their favor. It sure lost mine.

The businesses that have signed on so far are far more appropriate.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Fair enough but at one point it looked like the city would lose them entirely to Irondale. At least this way this very important area of the city is now reaching its full potential. I think they have at least sold one of the buildings on that campus to a tech company. I think the rest has a better chance to bounce back than Carraway.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Actually it can be a precursor to growth in the fact that it fills larger hard to market buildings while freeing space in smaller buildings that also occupy prime desirable areas.

The smaller buildings will be much easier to market. Cities can bring in new jobs and also grow what they have. Both are attractive. At this point, the jobs that are coming into the area are not as noticeable because they have to follow the availability of large level tracks of land and some are even mandated to be a certain distance from the city center due to the EPA rules.

It's far smarter to keep doing what we are doing than building new buildings while current ones go half filled. It would surprise a few to know how many empty buildings stand in booming cities. But that is an argument I have information on but still don't want to participate, so I won't.
Oh stop it. Everyone knows that Birmingham is the only city with empty buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area