Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 AM

350 posts, read 1,312,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatt10 View Post
Ok what's the deal with the asterisks, am I not allowed to tell where my info comes from?
Can you e-mail me the link? pauld-kw@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:38 AM

111 posts, read 257,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatt10 View Post
Really? Are you really asking that question?
Don't let this guy bother you.

Look at his join date and number of posts. He's averaging more than 250 messages per month. He's not really interested in the answers to any of the questions he posts; he just wants to be the center of conversation. In fact, if nobody answers a question, he often responds to himself and carries on some kind of schizophrenic exchange. It's quite bizarre. He posts whatever pops into his head without really thinking, most of it meaningless. Hence the ridiculous post count.

Just ignore him.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
At little news about the Beltline - looks like no roadblocks for funding now that the Republicans are back in power.

No legislative roadblock to Birmingham's Northern Beltline, key Republican lawmaker in Washington promises | al.com

Looks like I'll be in my mid 50's by the time I get to drive on it...

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM

42 posts, read 90,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Looks like I'll be in my mid 50's by the time I get to drive on it...
At 3.5 billion,,,,,,,,,,,, you betcha if not 60's

Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM

138 posts, read 254,479 times
I'm pretty ignorant of the traffic situation in B'ham so quick question. Is the traffic bad enough to warrant building the northern belt line? I know 280 is crowded, but are the interstates that crowded that the northern belt line is needed?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
No, as a matter of fact the route proposed would do little to help the traffic situation on the major highways. Let's he real here bham traffic is a joke compared to other metros in the region.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 AM

A bypass is so trucks passing through don't have to go through downtown. That way you don't have them mixing it up with commuters during rush hour. I don't know where the coils originated from, but I've heard someone suggest that the accidents we had that damaged the junction when these loads fell off flatbeds could have been avoided if there was a complete bypass.

Other then that it would bring the same type of development that the southern rim of the city enjoys to the northern rim. I hear people say that sprawl is bad and not desirable but then I don't see any of those types moving to Fultondale or Pinson or Graysville.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM

138 posts, read 254,479 times
Quote:
A bypass is so trucks passing through don't have to go through downtown.
Do trucks go downtown anyway? Would they not take the southern bypass?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyj42 View Post
Do trucks go downtown anyway? Would they not take the southern bypass?
They're required to use 459 if it will allow them to miss the 65-20/59 junction downtown (east-west loads on 20/59, those coming in on 65 north and going east or west; or those coming in from the east or west and going south on 65). It doesn't work for the loads that need to either enter or exit Birmingham by using 65 north of the city. Those are the ones that gum up the works.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
They're required to use 459 if it will allow them to miss the 65-20/59 junction downtown (east-west loads on 20/59, those coming in on 65 north and going east or west; or those coming in from the east or west and going south on 65). It doesn't work for the loads that need to either enter or exit Birmingham by using 65 north of the city. Those are the ones that gum up the works.
Exactly. What I was trying to say was when those big coils fell off the trucks, they *could* have been destined for delivery in or orginated from downtown, so having a northern bypass would have been moot - but if it was a load from Nashville on the way to Mobile, the truck would have been required to use the bypass to go around.

I think by rule, a city of this size should have a complete circular bypass - no matter what, however the problem with this one is it is three times (my guess) the radius of I-459, it is impossible for it to connect on the eastern end of town because that area is too developed and it seems only to serve those that already own all the land (in short graft and backroom deals come in to play). But it almost guarantees development to those rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area