Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Why not all of the above? Seems to me they are determined to do this. Both Bachus and Shelby are behind it so it looks like its going to happen no matter what we say. After that they'll continue to collect gasoline tax and will be wanting to spend more money on something else.

This isn't the last thing ALDOT is ever going to do in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
CPG ' s idea for light rail as well as current interstate improvements would be more solid. Do you guys believe that B- ham would support a light rail? I was told that for a light rail to be a success you will need 70,000 daily commuters. I think the first line should be from the airport to Alabaster.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
That's precisely an argument for not building it.

So that no one ever sees it or can make a home there, or create new parks and have a way to get there.

Thank G-d for the interstates, I can't begin to list all the things that I have seen and experienced that were possible only because of them.

But I am usually not a pessimist about most things and I certainly am not afraid of growth. Without it there is no life or future.

raj

Old 08-05-2013, 01:29 PM

I do not think light rail is the answer. Nor do I think it is a substitute for a northern belt line. One will not do the job for the other. Trucks hauling parts from one of the many growing heavy industries we have that are coming through Birmingham but need to bypass downtown won't have any use for light rail. They may go to the intermodal facility and dock with a train and skirt the city center all together or they may just be coming from Nashville or Memphis and going to Mobile or Montgomery and they stay out of downtown.

Light rail would be cool from say the passenger intermodal center to UAB to Uptown to Perimeter Park but it isn't going to take enough cars off the road or have a large enough network to serve the whole area. It's just not that dense and cars are still too popular and cheap to own.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
CPG ' s idea for light rail as well as current interstate improvements would be more solid. Do you guys believe that B- ham would support a light rail? I was told that for a light rail to be a success you will need 70,000 daily commuters. I think the first line should be from the airport to Alabaster.

Our terrain and pop. density do not suggest light rail. Inner city street rail will most likely come about but our street system and terrain seem to suggest Bus Transit. And many forward cities are going there because of flexibility.

Also, there is a definitely dislike for public transit in Birmingham and that won't change for a couple of decades. Plus we are in a state that doesn't intend to fund urban transit along with hwys anytime soon. (like twenty years)

raj

Old 08-05-2013, 01:39 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Besides could you imagine the theft rate of the I-420 signs?
I would want one for sure...lol

Old 08-05-2013, 01:52 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Why not all of the above? Seems to me they are determined to do this. Both Bachus and Shelby are behind it so it looks like its going to happen no matter what we say. After that they'll continue to collect gasoline tax and will be wanting to spend more money on something else.

This isn't the last thing ALDOT is ever going to do in this state.
But we have been waiting for years for those projects to begin, and they are a higher priority than the Northern Beltline IMO. Seriously we don't have any HOV lanes or sound barriers on the interstates around the metro, and we are about to spend billions on this project. Doesn't make sense to me, toll the Northern Beltline and use these earmarked funds for other Birmingham road projects.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:09 PM

I hear you but I think this would be much easier for people to understand and accept if they stop thinking of it as ~4 billion cash being spent and start thinking of it as a ~4 billion dollar gift card to The Interstate Store being used. it is non-transferable and no cash value, expires in two years.

Tolling the top half and not the bottom half is just plain evil to me. I just don't think that is fair at all. And of course Birmingham road projects don't qualify for this federal aid money.

I think this road is the highest priority.

Last edited by Tourian; 08-05-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
most things done in the country now comes with a steep price tag. every years prices goes up. no getting around that. so if this was done 20 years ago if might not have been a issue with the cost of it. that's what happens when you wait and wait to do things. get started on it and see where is goes from there. nothing but goodness can happen for that part of the city and county. I mean you got I-65 and the future I-22 along with the northern beltline to the north of the city and county can do nothing but wonders. no doubts cars gone rule now and more perhaps in the future around this area, but having alternatives like light rail could also do a lot of goodness as well particularly from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I hear you but I think this would be much easier for people to understand and accept if they stop thinking of it as ~4 billion cash being spent and start thinking of it as a ~4 billion dollar gift card to The Interstate Store being used. it is non-transferable and no cash value, expires in two years.

Tolling the top half and not the bottom half is just plain evil to me. I just don't think that is fair at all. And of course Birmingham road projects don't qualify for this federal aid money.

I think this road is the highest priority.
I'm not even going to ask how you got so smart on this subject, so please don't answer. I see your wisdom.

raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area