Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 AM

22 posts, read 36,545 times

Advertisements

If prior military, you can avoid taking any of the classes by showing your DD214.

From the AG website:

Do I have to take any classes to obtain a concealed weapons license in Idaho?

You may demonstrate familiarity with the firearm. Usually, one of the following courses is required:
  1. A hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Idaho Department of Fish and Game or a similar agency of another state;
  2. A National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course or any National Rifle Association hunter education course;
  3. A firearms safety or training course or class offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, university, or private or public school or firearms training school. You may wish to utilize instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Idaho State Police;
  4. A law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, law enforcement agencies or security enforcement agencies.
A county sheriff may grant you a license without completing one of the courses if:
  1. You present evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through your participation in an organized shooting competition or military service; or
  2. You are licensed or have been licensed to carry a firearm in Idaho or an Idaho county or city, unless the license has been revoked for cause.
Source: Concealed Weapons License Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 AM

91 posts, read 165,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoridgerunner View Post
If prior military, you can avoid taking any of the classes by showing your DD214.

From the AG website:

Do I have to take any classes to obtain a concealed weapons license in Idaho?

You may demonstrate familiarity with the firearm. Usually, one of the following courses is required:
  1. A hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Idaho Department of Fish and Game or a similar agency of another state;
  2. A National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course or any National Rifle Association hunter education course;
  3. A firearms safety or training course or class offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, university, or private or public school or firearms training school. You may wish to utilize instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Idaho State Police;
  4. A law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, law enforcement agencies or security enforcement agencies.
A county sheriff may grant you a license without completing one of the courses if:
  1. You present evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through your participation in an organized shooting competition or military service; or
  2. You are licensed or have been licensed to carry a firearm in Idaho or an Idaho county or city, unless the license has been revoked for cause.
Source: Concealed Weapons License Information

Do you think they would allow the Hunters Safety Course I took way back in 1991 in California? I have that certificate somewhere. I have been around guns/target practice/hunting since I was 7 years old.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 36,545 times
Yes they will.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

285 posts, read 540,876 times
Default CCW class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
Do you think they would allow the Hunters Safety Course I took way back in 1991 in California? I have that certificate somewhere. I have been around guns/target practice/hunting since I was 7 years old.
Firearms safety is one thing, but knowing the use of force laws and local law enforcement views are another. You may want to consider taking a course just for those aspects. I have had CCW permits for over 30 years (even had one in CA) and got the enhanced CCW in ID, in the first batch of permittees. I found the day of firing required for the enhanced CCW (not required for the regular ID CCW) worth the time and money. We went from drawing and aiming to actually firing (e.g. 2 to the center of mass and one to the head if necessary). Correcting bad habits was also discussed.

Good shooting.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:57 PM

6 posts, read 10,245 times
Question about non-resident license. I know you have to apply in person, but will the sheriff department mail the license to your home address or must it be licked up in person? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 PM

13 posts, read 19,416 times
Thanks for all the replys, being from Az. i see people open carry regularly and i know that it does freak out some people,, but like someone stated, thats there problem because it is "still" legal to own and carry firearms. Once i get established in Boise, i will definitely look into a ccw permit, by chance, what does it cost and how long is the course ?

Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Do people really base their relocation decisions on whether they can open carry or not?

Weird.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Do people really base their relocation decisions on whether they can open carry or not?

Weird.
Yes.

I am 'stuck' where I am, because honestly, my employer pays damn well. However, when I retire in about a year and a third, (not quite counting the months yet), I'll be moving to a red state primarily because of them having personal freedom and the expectation of being personal responsible for one's actions. To me, a pro-2A state is a major factor. I'm old enough now that my government should treat me like an adult, not an irresponsible child.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 PM

424 posts, read 580,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yes.

I am 'stuck' where I am, because honestly, my employer pays damn well. However, when I retire in about a year and a third, (not quite counting the months yet), I'll be moving to a red state primarily because of them having personal freedom and the expectation of being personal responsible for one's actions. To me, a pro-2A state is a major factor. I'm old enough now that my government should treat me like an adult, not an irresponsible child.
Welcome to the State when you get here. We always need voters who understand that the government doesn't always know better.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yes.

It has nothing to do with that.

While you say they treat you like an adult and give you "personal freedom" with respect to gun laws, there are an incredible amount of patronizing, paternalistic laws and regulations that Idaho doesn't treat you like an adult, but a child.

Here you go: Freedom in the 50 States 2013 | Overall Freedom | Mercatus Center

Idaho ranks #39 in personal freedom.

So yes, it is weird that you would move somewhere simply because of the gun laws, especially when you have the illusion it signifies freedom elsewhere, when that isn't true at all. Idaho's overbearing religious/conservative government spends an inordinate amount of time regulating behavior and individual choices that don't fit their specific paradigm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area