Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 PM

424 posts, read 581,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
It has nothing to do with that.

While you say they treat you like an adult and give you "personal freedom" with respect to gun laws, there are an incredible amount of patronizing, paternalistic laws and regulations that Idaho doesn't treat you like an adult, but a child.

Here you go: Freedom in the 50 States 2013 | Overall Freedom | Mercatus Center

Idaho ranks #39 in personal freedom.

So yes, it is weird that you would move somewhere simply because of the gun laws, especially when you have the illusion it signifies freedom elsewhere, when that isn't true at all. Idaho's overbearing religious/conservative government spends an inordinate amount of time regulating behavior and individual choices that don't fit their specific paradigm.

You are looking at "personal freedom" only. A lot of factors contribute to what one would say constitutes personal freedom. Look at where the overall top 5 rank in "personal freedom".....makes one wonder what the bases for personal freedoms are. Look at #1 for personal freedom (Alaska) then look at the other categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Even a .44 won't stop a charging bear unless you hit him in the head or in a vital organ. Better hope you're a great shot under pressure if you surprise a bear in the woods.

The best bear defense is avoiding bears, or shoot them from concealment and with careful aim if you must.
A bit off topic and kind of a strange reply since you have NO idea why I am carrying a .44 mag. Did I say I was hunting them, I made a sarcastic remark about how bears don't care if you carry open! But since you jumped in, I'll reply with some knowledge from many years of hiking in bear country; on both sides of the Mississippi!

So, you know when the bear will appear on the hiking trail? That's some good insight I only wish I had it a few times and I would not have had to use 40 buck cans of UDAP to get bears to skip town.

Hiding in wait, in concealment is NOT defensive it is offensive and usually associated with bear hunting; hopefully legal. Granted if I was bear hunting it would not be with a .44, I would prefer my Weatherby at a long distance.

But guess what...if you are hiking in places like Shoshone NF in WY, where I go quite often, you have a pretty good probability you will run into a bear. And since you kind of run into each other you don't have time to run back to the truck, get the Weatherby, find concealment and shoot from a distance.

What you should have is a large can of UDAP (or other known bear spray) and a short barreled revolver. If the bear spray works, and it has for me in the past, you get to get the heck out of the area while the bear leaves in another direction. All is great; bear has teary eyes, is probably really mad (can't say for sure I never hung around to ask), but the bear will have to find another diner for that evening.

HOWEVER, and this is the reason for the .44 short barreled revolver, if the bear spray does not work; bear doesn't give a damn, wind is in the wrong direction, etc., then while the bear is on you, a short barreled revolver can be used to push against the bears chest and unloaded. Hopefully, the .44 mag, flat nose 300 grain Corbon Hunters will do the job; they will penetrate and hopefully hit a major organ, if not, they don't. But a .44 mag has been known to take down a bear. A long barreled revolver is harder to pull out and push into the chest, or so they say, never tried it. (I have pushed a .40 SIG into some guys chest once and pulled the trigger, but never tried it on a bear. And really hope to avoid trying!)

Trying to hit a charging bear; black or brown, is similar to trying to shoot a basketball bouncing down a hill; next to impossible regardless of how cool headed you are. And that is with a short or long barreled handgun, or a 12-gauge with slugs. It is not impossible, it is just harder than hell.

And when camping, i keep a 12-gauge with 600 grain Brenneke slugs; those slugs WILL take down a very large bear, but it is used for in the trailer (popup) and again as a last resort.

Last thing I want to do is shoot a bear; offensively or defensively; I like 'em; respect 'em and just as soon as leave them alone and take their photos from a great distance.

And all that includes brown bears that you just happen upon while hiking, even in the Smoky mountains, you never know what you will come across....

NOW, back on subject....

Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,732,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
And therein lies my point. You want to define normal as those who look, act, and speak like you (and historically that was the case because people like you, I presume, are the type of people who hold wealth and political power in this nation).

The problem is: a) there are so many more people who live in this nation who don't look, act, and speak like you and b) the Constitution guarantees them the same rights as you.

It's endemic in people who cry about how the country is changing culturally, demographically, religiously, linguistically, racially, et al, and who want to move away from that "threat" as they consider it. It's just sad.

But this all has nothing to do with guns, just like the right to carry (which I support, by the way) has little to do with personal freedom. So many so-called conservatives and libertarians (as let's be honest, progressive/liberals do it too) want to pick and choose their freedoms to have and limitations to regulate. So for you it's okay to open carry, but we need to tell people what they can do with their bodies because, ya know, religion and stuff.
Thank you....I needed that laugh.

Though we've never met, now I know what you look, act, and speak like, too. Why, you're Professor Marvel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaxd1BQr9g

For who else could possibly know so much about me from so afar?

Clearly, it would surprise you to learn that normal people are not cut from a cookie cutter. I have precious little wealth, even less political power, and my stance on guns (though you didn't ask) makes you look like Charlton Heston.

Now you have something new to think about.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM

879 posts, read 2,859,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
'Til I was in my 40s, what you're deeming to be "extremely right wing social conservative" was simply called being normal. The prevalence and/or even expectation of normalcy in Idaho is the number one factor that attracts many like myself in California, where being normal is becoming more freakish by the day.
Please define "freakish".

I work for a conservative Christian company in Orange County. They seem to be perfectly content. We had to pray before lunch yesterday. I don't care. I'm not going to storm out and make a fuss. Plenty of others like that. Churches on every corner. Lots of Korean Christian churches nearby. Their conservative...or does that not count? Anyways, plenty of like minded people around here in Orange County, Inland LA and Inland Empire, San Diego, Central Valley, etc. Unless you're surprised by diversity and progressive attitudes in places such as Los Angeles and San Francisco. GASP!!!

All I see here is a bunch of unhappy people fixating on things that have very little impact on their daily lives. You'll move to Idaho and do the same thing. Especially if moving to the Boise Area which is becoming increasingly progressive. So good luck.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 PM

742 posts, read 1,130,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
(I have pushed a .40 SIG into some guys chest once and pulled the trigger, but never tried it on a bear. And really hope to avoid trying!)
Wait, what....?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Please define "freakish".

I work for a conservative Christian company in Orange County. They seem to be perfectly content. We had to pray before lunch yesterday. I don't care. I'm not going to storm out and make a fuss. Plenty of others like that. Churches on every corner. Lots of Korean Christian churches nearby. Their conservative...or does that not count? Anyways, plenty of like minded people around here in Orange County, Inland LA and Inland Empire, San Diego, Central Valley, etc. Unless you're surprised by diversity and progressive attitudes in places such as Los Angeles and San Francisco. GASP!!!

All I see here is a bunch of unhappy people fixating on things that have very little impact on their daily lives. You'll move to Idaho and do the same thing. Especially if moving to the Boise Area which is becoming increasingly progressive. So good luck.
You're right....there are lots of conservative areas in California. And I live in one of them. So, strictly speaking, my comment should have included "some areas" of California. But you know what I meant.

And I don't go anywhere near San Francisco and haven't for over 10 years. That's how I avoid those GASPs.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM

879 posts, read 2,859,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're right....there are lots of conservative areas in California. And I live in one of them. So, strictly speaking, my comment should have included "some areas" of California. But you know what I meant.

And I don't go anywhere near San Francisco and haven't for over 10 years. That's how I avoid those GASPs.
I got exactly what you meant. You're fearful of people that don't even live in your community. I don't quite get it, but to each their own. I did take something from Idaho...I don't care what other people do. Well, that use to be an Idaho value. Now with all the angry Californians it is more, "I don't care what you do as long as you're not a liberal, gay, woman, Hindu, etc."

Old 04-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I got exactly what you meant. You're fearful of people that don't even live in your community. I don't quite get it, but to each their own. I did take something from Idaho...I don't care what other people do. Well, that use to be an Idaho value. Now with all the angry Californians it is more, "I don't care what you do as long as you're not a liberal, gay, woman, Hindu, etc."
Fearful? No.

Let's make a deal, progressives. I won't try to characterize your thoughts if you can somehow refrain from your clairvoyant analysis of mine.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 PM

22 posts, read 36,579 times
Quote:
That's fine. If you think Boise is getting more conservative, I have a bridge I'll sell you too...

I wonder how you'll take living in a city that increasingly regulates and dictates your property rights for the sake of the common good.
I should have been more specific. I said the Boise area, but I meant the surrounding communities. Emmett, Payette, Fruitland, etc. I'm a rural guy and I like my privacy.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 PM

285 posts, read 541,527 times
Default CCW in hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom5pennies View Post
Question about non-resident license. I know you have to apply in person, but will the sheriff department mail the license to your home address or must it be licked up in person? Thanks.
As I recall, I had the signed papers from my Enhanced class and firing and went in to get the CCW and they issued it right then and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area