Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 PM

424 posts, read 581,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom5pennies View Post
Question about non-resident license. I know you have to apply in person, but will the sheriff department mail the license to your home address or must it be licked up in person? Thanks.
This should give you the answer unless it has changed. Suggest you contact either Ada or Canyon Country Sheriffs Office
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/N...entPermits.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM

254 posts, read 341,565 times
FYI:

My wife just submitted her application for her CCW at ADA county Sheriff's Dept. after taking a "Enhanced" class. They told her it takes 6-8 weeks to process and issue.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 541,307 times
Default CCW time lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
FYI:

My wife just submitted her application for her CCW at ADA county Sheriff's Dept. after taking a "Enhanced" class. They told her it takes 6-8 weeks to process and issue.
You're right Andrew. I remember now. I turned it in, they said the same time to get it, 6-8 weeks,but they called and said it was ready in 10 days. A lot quicker than I thought would happen. But that was when they first started the Enhanced.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:25 PM

91 posts, read 165,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
Firearms safety is one thing, but knowing the use of force laws and local law enforcement views are another. You may want to consider taking a course just for those aspects. I have had CCW permits for over 30 years (even had one in CA) and got the enhanced CCW in ID, in the first batch of permittees. I found the day of firing required for the enhanced CCW (not required for the regular ID CCW) worth the time and money. We went from drawing and aiming to actually firing (e.g. 2 to the center of mass and one to the head if necessary). Correcting bad habits was also discussed.

Good shooting.
Yeah you're right...I don't CC in California so I don't know the applicable laws about legal usage of deadly force.

If I just got my permit to CC in Idaho and god forbid some ******* tries to attack me with a knife, I wouldn't know if I was in the legal to shoot him or not.

thanks, will look into taking a few classes before I apply for my permit.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:49 PM

424 posts, read 581,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
Yeah you're right...I don't CC in California so I don't know the applicable laws about legal usage of deadly force.

If I just got my permit to CC in Idaho and god forbid some ******* tries to attack me with a knife, I wouldn't know if I was in the legal to shoot him or not.

Your problem, in all probability, would not be a legal problem but a civil problem. One must remember that you can be legally in the right and not have charges brought against you but this does not preclude having the person you shot bring civil charges against you and if you killed them their relative/s can bring suit against you in civil court. Just because you are in the right does not always clear you from a civil suit.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 PM

285 posts, read 541,307 times
Default Use of force

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post

The question usually devolves into 2 other questions:

1) Am I in mortal fear of my life? and 2) Does the perp have the potential to carry out his threat? Someone screams, "I am going to kill you", but shows no weapon and you are a young, fit Hulk Hogan probably doesn't warrant a double tap before the first blows (if they come). But a knife in hand from the same guy means I draw and prepare to use deadly force.

If the answer in your mind is, Yes. Present and fire to stop him/her. You have no obligation in ID to run. Knives within 20 feet are deadly weapons and require instant defense. Worry about the legal ramifications later. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. BTW, in ID, your scenario would probably lead to charges by the local DA as a threat with a knife is viewed quite seriously. Civil lawsuit may be a possibility, but again in ID, people are strong into self-defense as being righteous. But, make no mistake, shooting someone will change your life in many ways.

In most cases, CCW holders will try to avoid using deadly force because carrying 9/10 the power of God on your hip, makes most of us quite humble. Walk away if you can. Being situationally aware is the first rule to help avoid using your weapon. But when the situation arises, it will be too late to give yourself psychoanalysis and the rules of the use of deadly force must have been rationalized in your mind a long time before the present.

But on the whole, I consider ID a safe State.BTW, I left CA 15 years ago because of their BS laws on guns and taxes along with liberal mindset on everything.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 PM

66 posts, read 80,911 times
Appears I need to add ID to the short list.... Affordable, Open space. Freedom. Lack of hipsters. What could be better

ML

Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
In most cases, CCW holders will try to avoid using deadly force because carrying 9/10 the power of God on your hip, makes most of us quite humble. Walk away if you can. Being situationally aware is the first rule to help avoid using your weapon...
So very true! I can't believe how my attitude toward life has changed.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
Appears I need to add ID to the short list.... Affordable, Open space. Freedom. Lack of hipsters. What could be better

ML
Well, based on what I bolded, you won't like Boise or Sun Valley or Coeur d'Alene, and even Idaho Falls to some extent. Boise has the hipsters for sure.

You might check out Arco, Butte City, Bone, or Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area