Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 10:00 AM

7,064 posts, read 6,330,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Can you post photos? If not, I’ll still be reading about where you are. Safe travels, meo!
I'm not sure how to do that. I'll research.

Right now I'm in Houston. I stopped at a gas station until the rain lets up. Do not want to travel an unfamiliar road while it's raining.

I'm heading to Galveston, a place I've always wanted to see. I don't want to get to Arizona too early because I've heard it's still really hot there. SO, I'll spend some time in Texas and then head for New Mexico and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:20 AM

10,057 posts, read 18,129,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm not sure how to do that. I'll research.

Right now I'm in Houston. I stopped at a gas station until the rain lets up. Do not want to travel an unfamiliar road while it's raining.

I'm heading to Galveston, a place I've always wanted to see. I don't want to get to Arizona too early because I've heard it's still really hot there. SO, I'll spend some time in Texas and then head for New Mexico and Arizona.
I have been curious about Galveston since I was a child ... my parents were huge country music fans and I remember listening to the Glen Campbell song ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbTHlTmDX8

Maybe that will get you even more in the mood!

Seriously, I'm really enjoying reading about your adventure. Continued safe travels to you and Marigold!

Old 10-18-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have been curious about Galveston since I was a child ... my parents were huge country music fans and I remember listening to the Glen Campbell song ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbTHlTmDX8

Maybe that will get you even more in the mood!

Seriously, I'm really enjoying reading about your adventure. Continued safe travels to you and Marigold!
Galveston was pretty awesome. Seeing the ocean, watching the waves come in. It was cold while I was there but slept close to the ocean.

Austin is just confusing. I never did find downtown. Traffic was horrendous. I ended up at Walmart and you can't overnight there, but the security guard led me to a spot right next to it. Unfortunately, it's next to a freeway and don't think I'll get much sleep tonite.

Tomorrow it's on to Abilene.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:33 AM

208 posts, read 114,890 times
Quote:
Austin is just confusing. I never did find downtown. Traffic was horrendous.
Confusing: yes. Incoherent road system.

Downtown: better not to have found it; it’s ugly and kind of dangerous there now. The city government decided to invite all kind of dodgy people to live on the streets. Crime is up massively.

Traffic: poor planning and unconnected roads.

Note: do your research on the current rules for travelers in New Mexico.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:58 PM

I believe you can travel through New Mexico but not stop. I'll check.

Decided to stop for a little bit. I'd accidentally taken a road that turned out to be Lime Drive. Beautiful but very scary with it's twists and turns. When I finally got back to civilization, I stopped at the first gas station I came to and asked the person, a very nice older man, the best way to go. He directed me to Pfuegal to follow the frontage road. I've been following it for some time but think I'll finally get back on 35 and eventually 10 to go to Abilene.

He said Lime Drive has even been in some movies. While I was driving it I saw a lot of motorcycles. Made me think how much my son would have loved to do that.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike320 View Post
Confusing: yes. Incoherent road system.

Downtown: better not to have found it; it’s ugly and kind of dangerous there now. The city government decided to invite all kind of dodgy people to live on the streets. Crime is up massively.

Traffic: poor planning and unconnected roads.

Note: do your research on the current rules for travelers in New Mexico.
That must be why there are so many panhandlers. They stand by the roadside at stoplights. I'm sure it's everywhere but have never seen so many.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:04 PM

416 posts, read 410,552 times
Quote:
That must be why there are so many panhandlers. They stand by the roadside at stoplights. I'm sure it's everywhere but have never seen so many.
Man.. if there is one thing I hate... panhandlers.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Man.. if there is one thing I hate... panhandlers.
Having worked nonprofit most of my career, I don't 'hate' anyone. I feel compassion for those in need. I was just shocked at the number.

During the recession I was laid off at age 55. Very difficult to find a job. Without the help of my family, I could have been in the same spot.

On to the update. I'm spending the night at a Loves station. I'd heard they allowed that but was a bit worried. The woman I asked, after saying I was tired from all the driving said, Sure. Just park on the side, where the employees park, because it's well lit at night. I was/am so grateful.

Somehow I missed the turnoff for Abailine aand am instead toward El Paso. Hope to get there tomorrow.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,449,702 times
Were you planning on going to Texas Hill country? I remember it as pretty, and I ate the best peaches of my life from an orchard stand, right down the road from LBJ Ranch.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:19 PM

Tonight I said to myself, You're really doing this. I'm amazed I found the courage.

It all started with the grief and depression over my son's death. I was having a very hard time with it. Then, shortly after that,I fell in the snow and had a hard time getting up. This happened twice so I started researching moving somewhere south. I ended up in Arizona but was still depressed. It got worse when I went to the Senior Center and as the holidays approached, the talk centered around family doings. So I quit going there.

I started researching other places to move to and somehow stumbled on Cheaprvliving. It intrigued me and I through the website I read about solo women venturing out. I started asking questions and eventually joined a group of solo women travelers.

That started the journey of where I am now. A bunch of us will be meeting up in Arizona whenever we get there.

This trip is giving me back myself. I'm too busy to be depressed and looking forward each day to the newness of seeing our country. There's a lot I won't see on this first trip out and I look forward to traveling every state.

There's also a lot I'm missing by bringing Marigold with me but, she's already 7 or 8, they weren't sure of her age at the shelter, and she won't be around forever, sadly, and she's a joy to me. Personally, I think her heart would have broken if I left her behind. We've been together over three years.

So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing