Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 12:20 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times

Advertisements

Cheap RV Living has both the youtube and a blog/forum. There is endless information available there that benefits part-timers and full-timers. It does get one asking "Just how much stuff does one need?" I have just seen the most efficient use of space. While not for everyone, a heck of a lot of people are joining the thousands already on the road. The freedom that is felt when one has all of their belongings right there with them on the road is indescribable.

I got intrigued when I saw the youtube film "Without Bound", an excellent documentary on the lifestyle.

Happy travels OP, and hopefully this COVID 19 thing blows over soon. With more and more info coming out on it, I think we are turning the corner to go back to "normal" one day at a time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 02:14 PM

1,131 posts, read 389,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It is advised by the manufacturer that the Cube tow nothing
Guess I should have mentioned that I'd have a car that how the capacity to tow like a Subaru Outback. Love the A-liner Scout. Seen a lot on the road. Would be nice to have a dedicated place to eat, sleep, poop that you can't do in a car.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:38 AM

7,059 posts, read 6,325,075 times
Actually you can do those things in a car, although I plan on buying a shower tent for the bathroom option. I did buy a portable toilet device which folds up and can be stashed behind the front seat. This will work nicely in the shower tent, which I will set up when stationary for any length of time.

I had no problem finding rest areas while I was traveling between Arizona and Minnesota, which resolved that issue while traveling.

I've been following cheaprvliving for quite some time and have learned tremendously from Bob Wells and his interviews with others on the road.

My point in traveling in my current car is the good gas mileage, the comfort while driving, and most important to me, it's paid for. No car payment, along with no rent payment, allows me the freedom to travel and explore which, granted we can't do as much as we used to be able to due to closures, but things will open up eventually.

Of course I've looked at other options but FOR ME what I am doing suits me best at this time.

Last edited by meo92953; 09-03-2020 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM

I'm still in the process of getting ready to travel. My plans are to leave between October 2-5. Mainly because I will receive my ss check on the 2nd and have that extra cushion but also because since I regained Minnesota residency, I will have to be back here in six months and March/April is a much better time to return.

I am glad I stayed as long as I have because the leaves are just starting to change and, along with the weather, it is really nice here. I plan on traveling the Great River Road, along the Mississippi and think the timing will also work well. I watched Nomadic Fanatics videos on his journey and plan to follow his route. Then I'll cut across Louisiana and go through Texas to eventually end up back in Arizona.

I've been watching a lot more videos on small car traveling and have been surprised at the number of people who have chosen to travel this way. I am so glad I've decided to do this rather than give up my (paid for) car and take on a car payment for something larger. At least until I have seen what I'm really yearning to see of this beautiful country.

I'm getting ancy to leave but next week have a veterinarian appointment for my cat to get her shots and a doctor's appointment for me. Then an oil change and check up for my car and I'll be all set. It will just be a matter of loading up the car, finding a place for the things I am taking and getting on the road.

I probably won't post anything else until then but will post as I travel.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:42 PM

I went to get an oil change and have my car checked out for my trip(s). I had to chuckle when the guys all looked inside and kind of scratched their heads at my layout. I don't suppose too many people drive around with a cat tree inside their car and a platform where the seats usually are.

The car is good. I had them put in the synthetic oil because I'll be traveling so much. Getting excited.

I wish I knew how to take pictures with my phone and post them but, alas, I don't know how to do that.

My debate now is whether to start at the beginning, at the headwaters or to just scoot over to Red Wing, which is such a neat town. I've explored Red Wing a few times when I lived near there and could easily just spend a whole day seeing it again.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:51 AM

128 posts, read 114,177 times
Red Wing is a great town. I was over there 3-4 weeks ago and stopped at a few shops. Enjoy your travels!!

Old 10-06-2020, 05:44 AM

I'm starting one day late. Once it's light outside and after a shower, I'll be heading to Red Wing. It's only 230 miles from where I am now and that's about what I want to travel any given day for the entire trip. I reason that gives me time to visit the places I want to see and explore.

I'm not limiting myself to traveling every day. If I find somewhere I want to visit for awhile, I will stop for a few days. So freeing to know that's an option.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,366,238 times
Quote:
I'm starting one day late. Once it's light outside and after a shower, I'll be heading to Red Wing. It's only 230 miles from where I am now and that's about what I want to travel any given day for the entire trip. I reason that gives me time to visit the places I want to see and explore.

I'm not limiting myself to traveling every day. If I find somewhere I want to visit for awhile, I will stop for a few days. So freeing to know that's an option.
I had plans to travel this year like you are but things fell through, so I'll be staying in one place for the next year or two. But I've subscribed to this thread and hearing about your travel plans feels a bit like being there myself. Have a great trip!

Old 10-06-2020, 03:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,139,502 times
Quote:

I don't know whether you realize this or not but if you head south, and in particular go to Florida, you aren't going to be able to leave the cat in the car without the AC running. Even 75 degrees inside the car can be lethal.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2020, 04:49 PM

The cat traveled with me from Arizona to Minnesota and did fine. I'm not planning on Florida this trip. Minnesota to Louisiana, then over to Texas and Arizona. I have air conditioning and a fan. If necessary, I will buy another fan. We'll see.

We made it to a campsite by Canon Falls, not too far from Red Wing. It's peaceful and beautiful here with a nice breeze. I did get my rain guards on so can keep the windows cracked.

I can see I'm really going to have to reorganize tomorrow. Just too tired tonite. There were so many detours, it took me a lot longer than I thought it would. Hopefully tomorrow will not be as tiring but I'm happy. Soon I'll be traveling on the Great River Road.

Yay! Really looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing